Pistol SD gun mag changes

This is a discussion on Pistol SD gun mag changes within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you carry a spare mag [ for your semi ], do you know how much time between last round fired, drop that mag, reinsert ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Pistol SD gun mag changes

Sponsor

If you carry a spare mag [ for your semi ], do you know how much time between last round fired, drop that mag, reinsert a fresh mag and fire another round from the second mag?

1 second reload
    2 second reload
    3 second reload

Mine is timed at 1.5 or slightly less to recharge and fire from the second mag on threat. In 1.5 seconds, if I'd not run out of ammo and had to make a MANDATORY reload, I can fire another 7 rds on threat

Revo carriers, what's your reload time with a speed loader/speed strip? I'd have to guess it's longer than a semi reload.

Things to ponder when deciding between single stack and double stack semi's.
    PhoenixTS, ugh762x39 and airslot like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

You lost me at "spare mag."
    Cornhusker95 and BamaT like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You don't carry a spare mag? This thread wasn't meant for you.
    flh, Struckat, G26Raven and 4 others like this.

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My EDC magazine or speed strip is usually intended more for an administrative rather than tactical reload. Maybe 10 - 15 seconds?
    AzQkr and Rockymonster like this.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

Don't know my reload times semi or revolver.

I have troubles working the timer because when I'm reloading I'm also doing a tactical backflip!
    G-man*, LimaCharlie and M1911A1 like this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    Don't know my reload times semi or revolver.

I have troubles working the timer because when I'm reloading I'm also doing a tactical backflip!
    Hilarious, leave the timer running, it'll show your splits. Easy enough to determine where the mag change occurred on the timer. I would guess few practice mag changes let alone know their mag change times with their SD weapon of choice. It's something to consider when choosing a single stack over a double stack. "but I carry a spare mag" is a basically a feel good if it's taking you more than 1-1.5 seconds to make a mag change and get back in the game.

Who wants to have to make a mandatory reload when incoming is ongoing?

montejames, hogdaddy and airslot like this.

My spare mag is inside my BUG. Experimentation showed that my drawing the BUG is just as fast as me doing a mag change but eliminates any chance of fumbling that mag change. Not to mention if the stoppage is because my primary malfed a mag change might not fix that anyway but the BUG will put me back in business.
    AzQkr, gasmitty, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    My spare mag is inside my BUG. Experimentation showed that my drawing the BUG is just as fast as me doing a mag change but eliminates any chance of fumbling that mag change. Not to mention if the stoppage is because my primary malfed a mag change might not fix that anyway but the BUG will put me back in business.
    Yup, NY reload can be substantially faster than a reload, and reduces the chance of fumbling the change. Good mindset and forethought sir.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Don't know the numbers, but it's as fast as I can. Efficiently. Either semi or revolver.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    As I've previously stated on this forum and else where my EDC is a S&W Shield 9X19mm with a (8-Rd) capacity. Also carried is a spare magazine also of (8-Rd) capacity. In my seventh decade I'm sure as hell not in the military or law enforcement thus I'm on the citizen/civilian side of the equation. I believe if recollection serves me correctly you dot not have a high opinion of Tom Givens thus we may have to agree to disagree.

Givens book titled Fighting Smarter A Practical Guide For Surviving Violent Confrontations, Chapter 13 Training Priorities eludes to FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration's agents and Givens students (65) that have been involved in gunfights. If you are inclined to believe Givens research the number of shots fired is a surprisingly low round count.

My spare magazine is primarily a back up to the primary magazine inserted in the pistol should the primary magazine malfunction. Since I practice avoidance (all most like a religion) of stupid people, places and things my whish is to never be in a gun fight. Be that is it may you can't predict the future!
    M1911A1 and BamaT like this.

flh
    I've never timed my reloads , but after competing in a few matches I practiced my auto and revolver reloadings trying to shave off some time off the timers....
    Chuck R., AzQkr, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Claude Werner's study of 482 actual, documented non-LEO gunfights found only three situations where defenders reloaded, or 0.6% of the time. And one of those was a guy trying to stop an escaped tiger with a .32 auto. He succeeded, BTW, after 13 shots. So I am much more worried about ensuring I don't have to shoot to begin with, but if I do, the effect of my shots before I might need a reload. To me, reload times are not something I would ever worry about.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I've never timed my reloads , but after competing in a few matches I practiced my auto and revolver reloadings trying to shave off some time off the timers....
    Same here, bobbling a reload during a stage sucks and will drop you a few notches.

I normally practice reloads during El Presidente's or V-Drills, when I run 5 plates, reload and run them backwards. We used to have to do "reloads with retention" on the clock in IDPA, which was a skill unto itself. Now with the rule changes everyone just doubles up on a target or 2 and goes to slide lock and dumps the empty. As a coincidence I just got finished running shotgun reloads...got a 3Gun match in the morning and shotgun reloads are positively my weakest skill.

Practicality...not so sure about, but I did have an instructor say that "If you're going to practice, we can assume at some point your gun will run dry. So you might as well reload it the right way." So since I'm practicing anyway, and the gun does run dry..........I also find that working reloads helps prevent that whole "squeezing the trigger with the slide locked back and a goofy look on your face" type moments.
    AzQkr, raytracer, flh and 2 others like this.
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Extra clip?
    Chuck R., AzQkr, OldVet and 6 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

My thoughts on it are that there are more important things to concentrate one’s precious practice time on. A timer on the range is good for setting a standard, but is not indicative of what happens when the shtf.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links