Only one range nearby

Only one range nearby

This is a discussion on Only one range nearby within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So recently I've been trying to find new ranges to go to. I've been specifically looking for multiple target outdoor handgun ranges, as shooting in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Only one range nearby

Only one range nearby

So recently I've been trying to find new ranges to go to. I've been specifically looking for multiple target outdoor handgun ranges, as shooting in a straight line at a static piece of paper is growing old.And the range I go to is growing old as well. After looking for a while, I have determined that there is no range other than the one I already go to within an hour. Looking out at my apartment near college, I was appalled to learn that there was not even a handgun or rifle range on that side of the state. Do you guys have any secret locations or areas you go to do some target practice? I live in VA if that helps.

VIP Member
    I have a 90-yard range on my home property. I can do up to a thousand yards on the farm.
    Nifty and airslot like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

That sucks. I drive 3 miles out to the edge of town and have several hundred thousand acres of BLM land to shoot on. I have only ever had one vehicle pass by while shooting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

flh

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Distinguished Member
    Man that is terrible. I have 4 indoor ranges within 15 miles of my house. Two are litterally <1/2 mile from each other (one is new fangled with popups and action targets and then theres the one I like and feel safe at that has old trolleys).
    airslot likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I have personal areas and we have a good outdoor membership range about 12 miles away...membership is $40 per year with an initial $200 fee to join. This range has skeet, trap, handgun and 300yd rifle.
    airslot likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Something you may want to check into...if there are wildlife management areas...state and federal...in your area, most of them have shooting ranges.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I have 3 indoor ranges and 2 outdoor public ranges within a half hour, plus a few private clubs. My son in Iowa? an indoor range closed a month before we visited them. There's one almost an hour south. There's one about a half hour away, but only 3 hours open to the public. There's another one a half hour away, but private. There's a public one an hour or more north east. It's a pain trying to take my grandson out to shoot with grandpa. I understand your pain.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member
    A new range just opened close to us. Built by the city and/or county (not sure which or both). I think it is mostly for trap and skeet but they have an outdoor pistol range also. And get this: They are charging $10 an hour per person with a two hour minimum! I don't know anyone who shoots for two hours straight - at least not handguns - although I suppose there are some. It would cost $40 for Gramps and I to go there to shoot each time. Obviously we are NOT going there at all.

Here in the semi-rural semi-south, that is going to become a private range for cops and sheriff deputies. One of my friends is sure that is why they built it anyway.

Our "Sportsman Club" which is also pretty close (15 minute drive) has long range rifle, skeet and trap and two good pistol ranges and the cost is $100 PER YEAR for the whole family including kids under 18. There is also an indoor range "in town" that is charging $30 a month per person for unlimited use ($360 for yearly membership), which is 3 times what that same range charged under the previous owner.

God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!!!!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Oh yeah, did I also happen to mention that the single range I can go to charges 10$ for half an hour? Its just a simple indoor pistol range. Some of the lanes dont work, and almost half of the lights are out as well.

OUr area is home to 2 outdoor public ranges run by the department of wildlife, 4 club ranges, half a dozen private ranges, 2 tactical schools and one FOF outfit. I mainly hang out at the wildlife range or the FOF camp.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    There are several ranges around here, but they all want a membership and still want the sucker, I mean member, to pay ridiculous range fees and buy their ammo at unrealistic prices. One claims you can bring your own ammo, but if you do, they charge you $5 a box fee on it. So they're trying to skin you every which way and coming and going. Instead, I belong to a private gun club with a private indoor range. No fees, you have to bring your own ammo as they don't sell it, no waiting even when it's busy, and the only thing I ever pay is the yearly membership fee, which I forget how much it is now, but it's under $200. There's no paid staff, everyone has a key card for access. The building is open every day 8a-8p, including holidays.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    These days the gun range situation is pretty good near me. I've got two indoor ranges within 30 minutes. One is air conditioned which is important with our summer weather. The one with AC is pricier but nicer though. Neither is cost prohibitive for occasional use but both are for intensive use.

There is a low cost public range inside of 45 minutes from me but I hate to use it. It is owned by the state Game & Fish Commission and the range master is a PITA the last I knew. It offers bullseye/plinkin' pistol, rifle, and skeet/trap.

There are two private ranges within an hour of travel along with another couple within 1-1/2 hours. One of the closer ranges goes out to 600yds. The other is a world class pistol range that has hosted the IDPA Nationals. The 600yd range is where I'm a member and the yearly membership fee is $75. The pistol oriented range is pricier and the fee varies according to if you compete.

There are free public Forestry Service ranges further away that vary from trashed to nice. They are isolated and I won't go to any of them alone.

There is a local private shotgun range that is run by some elitists who complain about needing members but don't let the public know where they are or how to join them along with two reasonable cost open to the public ranges. One is owned by Remington and the other is a joint project between a city and the Game & Fish.

There used to be a couple of local city owned public ranges. Sadly they have been gone for a while. Both were poorly managed when run by the cities.
    Joe

Luckily, I don't have that problem.

And, it's not a secret due to the volume of fire and because you can see some of the rifle tgt berms from the road.

Like others I've got a "backyard" range; 30x30yd graveled pistol range, 100-300yd rifle range with bench and concrete slab. I've also got berms with steel swingers that go out to 760yds. Off my beck deck are berms with swingers at 407 and 547 yards.

IF that's not enough, somehow I ended up within a 1 hr commute to 3 different IDPA matches and a 3Gun match. I could shoot 4 matches a month, but a chitload of mowing & maintenance comes with acreage, so I normally get in 3.
    Hatchee likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links