Super Rusty - Need Advice

This is a discussion on Super Rusty - Need Advice within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of years ago I spent a good deal of time at the range each week and felt like I was becoming a decent ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Super Rusty - Need Advice

A couple of years ago I spent a good deal of time at the range each week and felt like I was becoming a decent shooter; The past year though I haven't been able to shoot at all for financial reasons. I finally got the chance to work through a couple of box of ammo today, and was very disappointed that I was having trouble hitting a 6" plate from a reasonable distance with any of my pistols. I examined my stance, grip, and trigger squeeze, but as far as I can tell I'm doing everything the same way I was taught to.

What do I need to do to get this rust off? (Besides burn through piles of ammo I can't afford at the moment.) Since I was shooting at steel and not paper, I can't say which direction I was off at. I guess I'm asking, what part of the shooting process usually gets rusty so I can focus on that?

Quote Originally Posted by toasterburn View Post
    A couple of years ago I spent a good deal of time at the range each week and felt like I was becoming a decent shooter; The past year though I haven't been able to shoot at all for financial reasons. I finally got the chance to work through a couple of box of ammo today, and was very disappointed that I was having trouble hitting a 6" plate from a reasonable distance with any of my pistols. I examined my stance, grip, and trigger squeeze, but as far as I can tell I'm doing everything the same way I was taught to.

What do I need to do to get this rust off? (Besides burn through piles of ammo I can't afford at the moment.) Since I was shooting at steel and not paper, I can't say which direction I was off at. I guess I'm asking, what part of the shooting process usually gets rusty so I can focus on that?
    Only speaking from personal experience I have to say trigger control toasterburn..Again, that's me.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

You didn't say what your shooting but, I agree with wmhawth. You can do a lot on that without using any ammo. You can pick a spot on the wall and see how much you wobble through your trigger stroke or you can place a dime on the end of the barrel and see if you can keep it on the gun through the trigger pull. I really don't find that I get rusty on grip as I can not play Golf for years and I played so much in my younger years the grip is automatic, its my follow through that gets rusty. The best advice I ever got that made me a better shooter almost instantly was "shoot through the bang". I know it sounds kind of silly but, that phrase has stuck with me ever since. What it means to me is the aiming is not over when the gun goes off but, rather it helped me concentrate on aiming all the way through and ignoring the bang. Sort of like Golf where you concentrate on the swing and not trying to hit the ball. The ball just gets hit because it was placed in the way of the swing. Does that make sense?
    If I shoot through the bang I don't pull the shot or flinch as the bang is not my focus, the front sight and/or the target are my focus.
    airslot and bmcgilvray like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I find that if I stay away from the range for a period of time my limited skills fall off. It could be a number of things. You may try Snap caps and dry firing at home, seeing if the sights move when you pull the trigger. I think I
    would dry fire often. It won't hurt.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

What you need to do is find an accomplished shooter to observe you shoot and make corrections. You can spend a lot of time and energy chasing your tail and not correct the issue.

Also, you don’t need to burn thru a bunch of ammo to practice. Dry fire 50 times for every 10 live rounds you will fire, and then go to the range and limit yourself to just a few shots done with purpose of perfecting the fundamentals, and you will accelerate really quickly.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

My best advice would be to pay an instructor for an hour of his time to evaluate your shooting. Taking video of yourself from various angles to cover stance, grip, trigger squeeze, etc., can help you detect faults in your technique also. It could also be that your musculature has atrophied due to lack of practice and is allowing movement you don't perceive. Last but certainly not least, and cheapest of all, is dry-fire at home. There are drills designed especially for that.

Whatever you do, when you shoot, have a specific goal in mind and make sure you are focusing on that aspect of technique when you fire. Whether it is grip, stance, breathing, front sight focus, trigger control, or whatever, single each aspect out and make each round count. Divide and conquer!
    glockman10mm and airslot like this.
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

As the others said, Dry Fire with a purpose.

I have a complete range out back, steel, barricades, knockdowns, swingers etc. basically enough chit to set up a couple match stages and I practice live at least once a week, often multiple times. I still find dry fire useful. I use a laser cartridge(s) and a timer set on a par time. Targets are normal silhouettes. With this combination and a little imagination I can work on pretty much everything but trying to improve splits (managing recoil). Doorways, counter-tops etc. can be used for cover, a chair can simulate drawing and shooting from a car seat.

When you do practice live, have a plan. Shooting matches is helpful for this as they give a decent assessment of where I need work and it seems like I constantly need work. Tonight for instance I'm going to work on reloads.

A dry fire 'range' doesn't need to be elaborate:

I also take a couple defensive classes a year, just to keep up and because I enjoy taking classes. I'm now changing this up slightly and am looking for more competition oriented classes. Due to age and lifestyle, the odds of being involved in an armed encounter are diminishing, meanwhile there's always another match a few weeks away....
    homo homini lupus est

I wrote a long post, then erased because I realized it was about me and not what you asked.

I recently had the same realization you describe, and I want to work on fundamentals also. Grip and trigger control can be worked on with dry fire practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Look up "The Pencil Technique" with former SEAL sniper and shooting instructor Chris Sajnog on YouTube. I was taught this technique in the Navy. It is a frustrating exercise, but I have never encountered anything that improved my scores so much, so fast. And you can do it at home with no ammo.
    OldChap and Hoganbeg like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Removing rust??? I was going to suggest bathing in WD-40 and scrubbing yourself all over with fine steel wool. Uhhh....no never mind!

Back to my coffee!

@jmf552 He claims you can download the practice target...but....it looks like it isn't there anymore - or else he needs someone with more computer skills to work on his website.
    Pete63 likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Removing rust??? I was going to suggest bathing in WD-40 and scrubbing yourself all over with fine steel wool. Uhhh....no never mind!

Back to my coffee!

@jmf552 He claims you can download the practice target...but....it looks like it isn't there anymore - or else he needs someone with more computer skills to work on his website.
    You don't need it. In fact, I thought the way he did it was more advanced. I have meant to try it, but never have.

What I do is the way I was taught. I put a post-it note on the wall and draw a little bull's eye on it. I put the pencil in place, aim at the bull's eye and dry fire, then repeat, repeat, repeat. The goal is to get all your pencil marks in the same spot. The instructor who taught me said he only wanted to see one dot below the "bulls-eye." It took me an hour of constant practice with a 1911. Then I walked out on the range, loaded up and shot well into the expert category first try, which I had never been able to do with a 1911. After that, I never shot anything less than expert and even went on to compete.

If you wanted to do what Sajnog did, it looks like all it is a Word document with periods run out in a line across the page. He takes one "shot" at each one and he is looking for an even line of pencil dots under the even line of periods. Variation on a theme.

BTW, and I know this will sound a little nutty: I have different "caliber" pencils. I have big fat ones for my .45 and little golf pencils for my pocket .380. Also superfluous and not at all necessary. FWIW, the trick to this is pushing through the frustration of it and not accepting anything but perfection...one dot. It will seem like it's not working...until it does.
    OldChap and Hoganbeg like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    You don't need it. In fact, I thought the way he did it was more advanced. I have meant to try it, but never have.

What I do is the way I was taught. I put a post-it note on the wall and draw a little bull's eye on it. I put the pencil in place, aim at the bull's eye and dry fire. The goal is to get all your pencil marks in the same spot. The instructor who taught me said he only wanted to see one dot below the "bulls-eye." It took me an hour of constant practice with a 1911. Then I walked out on the range, loaded up and shot well into the expert category first try, which I had never been able to do with a 1911. After that, I never shot anything less than expert and even went on to compete.

If you wanted to do what Sajnog did, it looks like all it is a Word document with periods run out in a line across the page. He takes one "shot" at each one and he is looking for an even line of pencil dots under the even line of periods. Variation on a theme.

BTW, and I know this will sound a little nutty: I have different "caliber" pencils. I have big fat ones for my .45 and little golf pencils for my pocket .380. Also superfluous and not at all necessary.
    Ohhhh NOOOOOOOO....A pencil caliber war in the making!

Thanks for the information brother.

Ohhhh NOOOOOOOO....A pencil caliber war in the making!
    Not only caliber wars, there is lead too. Do you go with #2 lead (now called 2B), or one of the other choices, anything from 2B to 8H? Not to mention sharpening methods...don't get me started!

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Not only caliber wars, there is lead too. Do you go with #2 lead (now called 2B), or one of the other choices, anything from 2B to 8H? Not to mention sharpening methods...don't get me started!
    Super Rusty - Need Advice-joe-kenda-well-my-my-my-you-one-im-looking-.jpg

HA..I knew it...Let's talk most effective color and then we can move to lead hardness!

HA..I knew it...Let's talk most effective color and then we can move to lead hardness!
    Older pencils seem to have softer lead.
    OldChap likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links