Slide Stop Reload: Which Thumb Do I Use And Why?

This is a discussion on Slide Stop Reload: Which Thumb Do I Use And Why? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Slide Stop Reload: Which Thumb Do I Use And Why?

VIP Member
    Everything you said makes sense. Very nice vid.
    OD* and PhoenixTS like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixTS View Post
    all thumbs
    Good advice when the release is on the weak side...but for us lefties stuck with a left side slide lock, it's going to be strong thumb.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    PhoenixTS likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The pistol is designed to be operated with one hand, so which thumb do you think that should be? You're trying hard to make something out of nothing. Besides, every internet expert knows you're supposed to slingshot the slide anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The pistol is designed to be operated with one hand, so which thumb do you think that should be? You're trying hard to make something out of nothing. Besides, every internet expert knows you're supposed to slingshot the slide anyhow.
    One-handed mag changes are tough. Come to think of it, so are revolver reloads.
    LimaCharlie and Rick McC. like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

If I'm going to a two hand hold on the reload, I'll depress the slide release with my left hand thumb after the same hand makes the mag change and comes onto the grip for the 2 hand hold as demonstrated in the vid by the OP.

I came to that reload, slide release method many decades ago just naturally.
    Mike1956, OD*, G-man* and 4 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    MTM. Method Time Motion. What method achieves the motion in the lead time? My slide release in on the left. I am right handed and the right thumb is best for me. If I were left handed I would use my right index finger because it would be a the easiest and quickest reach over the top of the slide instead of going around the rear with the thumb.. However, I prefer to slingshot the slide because if you fail to connect properly with the slide release you might be unsuccessful in releasing the slide especially of the gun has not been well broken in. No way are you going to fumble when you use the slingshot method. Thumb release might be faster but it is not necessarily surer.
    matthew03 and Marc_Brooks like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

First off if you only shoot with both hands on gun you may want to use the thumb to release. BUT my findings is IF I have a failure to lock of slide on slide release it is with the release of slide with the thumb. With the slingshot release of slide I can't remember a failure to lock. Failure to lock does not mean failure to feed but rather the slide just not going all the way in and locking. I don't like having to hit the back of the slide to ram it home to be able to pull the trigger. Maybe it's just my guns and they have weak springs. But slingshot release works and thumb does work ALL the time.

If thumb release works for you great but I'll stick to my slingshot release.

But chances are if you are in a fight and you come to slide lock and you are not behind cover, but in a gunfight for your life, your screwed anyway.

I'm not sure when I last released the slide with a slide stop.
    Risasi likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I'm not sure when I last released the slide with a slide stop.
    I do so often.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I practice using the offhand thumb, strong hand thumb and weak hand only trigger finger if the gun has a slide stop on one side, offside thumb on the other.

I want to be able to run any weapon with either or both hands.

Mostly, I release the slide with the over the top method.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

If I were to reload one handed (my support hand is not in play), I would not be inserting the magazine with my support hand and I would resort to a one handed reload. I would therefore not have any issues addressed in the video above.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

I'm left-handed. Any more I only slingshot. It just universally works on any slide action pistol I might have. For one handed reloads I practice;

Mag drop. Stuff in belt line/pocket/between knees. Insert fresh mag*. Draw with good hand, rack slide off belt, crook of knee, table or whatever piece of cover I might be behind. Get back in fight. ** I really like the Hackathorn sights on my Glock 43 for being able to slingshot my slide off of any handy object.

* I have found this more difficult when left-handed only, I carry extra mag or two off-hand...maybe I should carry one on each side? Need to think about this more and experiment.

** I don't practice this often enough, but have added it and strong hand only / off-hand range time to the mix this past year or so.

---

P.S. I think the only time I would still use the slide release is a 1911. I can still just pick up one of those and run it without thinking...a 1911 is not just merely some old slide action.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

When I am intentionally practicing a speed reload, sometimes I seat the magazine so hard, the slide releases on its own.

One and done.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixTS View Post
    If I were to reload one handed (my support hand is not in play), I would not be inserting the magazine with my support hand and I would resort to a one handed reload. I would therefore not have any issues addressed in the video above.
    Well, it you wish to convert what I said into meaning using one hand only to insert the magazine and drop the slide, go for it. But you clearly understand the controls are designed to be used with the shooting hand only and not "require" a support hand, seeing as you would now be handling two separate items--gun and magazine.

You asked for comments. I think you're creating a solution for a hypothetical problem. There's more than one way to drop a slide, none are the only way and all are the correct way--sling shot, shooting hand on the release, support thumb, big toe if that's what works for you. I'd be more interested in knowing to cycle the slide on a no-fire than concern myself with any particular method of releasing the slide.
    Risasi and Gunnie like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links