Do you announce you are armed during a confrontation? - Page 4

Do you announce you are armed during a confrontation?

This is a discussion on Do you announce you are armed during a confrontation? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cypher He'll just say "it was a Glock" or "it was black". Both better be right however....

View Poll Results: Would you "announce" to a threat, or show, that you have a gun?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would put my hand where my gun is, or sweep my cover garment.

2 2.00%
  • Yes, I would draw and brandish the firearm.

2 2.00%
  • Yes, I would say "I have a gun, back off" without displaying the firearm.

1 1.00%
  • Yes, I would say "I have a gun" and display the weapon.

1 1.00%
  • No, I will not display the weapon or announce unless I am going to shoot.

48 48.00%
  • It depends...

49 49.00%
  • Other

6 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Do you announce you are armed during a confrontation?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    He'll just say "it was a Glock" or "it was black".
    Both better be right however.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Both better be right however.
    IME the police are going to ask if you have a gun. If you do they're going to assume he was telling the truth.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    Are you certain? Do you know what constitutes menacing in your jurisdiction? In Colorado what you did would be menacing.
    Yes. If doing a safety check on a firearm is menacing in Colorado, I feel sorry for the good people of Colorado.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

IME the police are going to ask if you have a gun. If you do they're going to assume he was telling the truth.
    No, they will NOT assume. They will get your side of the story, and once denied, an astute leo would then ask them to describe it with the denial of the accused. And, IF the leo didn't ask that question, I'd be suggesting he asked the turd if he saw it, to describe it.

If that fails to satisfy the leo and he arrests me, by the time trial comes around, my atty will evidence a voluntary polygraph that I passed. The courts can then decide which of the two he said/she saids was truthful. I've seen two leo's be exonerated and charges dropped who took voluntary poly's and submitted same to the courts

How many years have you been carrying? Have you been involved with such matters personally or are you just layperson guessing what you believe they'll do?
    CreedDryrot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedDryrot View Post
    Yes. If doing a safety check on a firearm is menacing in Colorado, I feel sorry for the good people of Colorado.
    2017 ORS 163.90
    (1) A person commits the crime of menacing if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.

(2) Menacing is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 95]
    Tell that you didn't do exactly what the bolded text says is menacing. Tell me you didn't pull that gun out with the specific intent of scaring those guys off

Tell that you didn't do exactly what the bolded text says is menacing. Tell me you didn't pull that gun out with the specific intent of scaring those guys off
    Intent would play a role in any charges filed. As he describe the scenario, he could very easily be arrested for brandishing or whatever law fits close for that state. IMO, it wasn't the smartest move even as he got away with it, this time
    wmhawth likes this.

No, they will NOT assume. They will get your side of the story, and once denied, an astute leo would then ask them to describe it with the denial of the accused. And, IF the leo didn't ask that question, I'd be suggesting he asked the turd if he saw it, to describe it.

If that fails to satisfy the leo and he arrests me, by the time trial comes around, my atty will evidence a voluntary polygraph that I passed. The courts can then decide which of the two he said/she saids was truthful. I've seen two leo's be exonerated and charges dropped who took voluntary poly's and submitted same to the courts
    It's been my experience that if I tell the cops you pulled a gun on me and they investigate and find a gun on you you're going to be wearing handcuffs. By the time the trial comes around you will have spent thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars on your attorney and your "voluntary polygraph".

Or, you know, you could keep your mouth shut and avoid the whole mess

It's been my experience that if I tell the cops you pulled a gun on me and they investigate and find a gun on you you're going to be wearing handcuffs. By the time the trial comes around you will have spent thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars on your attorney and your "voluntary polygraph".

Or, you know, you could keep your mouth shut and avoid the whole mess
    So you've experienced this on the streets where someone accused you of pulling a gun when you didn't and you were then wearing cuffs, arrested , made bail and went to trial?

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I wasn't putting them in fear of imminent serious physical injury. I was giving them all the information they needed to know before they made a decision that would lead to their imminent serious physical injury. It would be legal for me to have been carrying the gun on my hip. It would be legal for me to walk through the parking lot with the gun in my hand. Bystanders or no bystanders, it would've been lawful for me to do a safety check on a pistol in a public parking lot the way that I did.

Did I mention that I'm retired LEO, from the city that this occurred in? I'm quite aware of the laws here, thank you though. I think I've answered the questions of enough internet lawyers today.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/163.190

(1) A person commits the crime of menacing if by[/B]word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.

(2) Menacing is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 95]

No law was broken even as intent to place them in fear was iterated as to the intent?

So you've experienced this on the streets where someone accused you of pulling a gun when you didn't and you were then wearing cuffs, arrested , made bail and went to trial?

Happened to me no. Seen it happen to someone else more than once yes.

Happened to me no. Seen it happen to someone else more than once yes.
    More than once? Guy doesn't learn very well huh?

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    IMHO, if you reveal that you have a gun or actually draw, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble for brandishing or making a terroristic threat. I suppose that would be mitigated if you were the first one to call 911 and report the incident.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

More than once? Guy doesn't learn very well huh?
    Different people. I worked as a security guard for the city for 10 years, I saw all kinds of weird stuff
    AzQkr likes this.

I wouldn't waste my time.

I worked as an armed guard for several years and it's been my experience that if you don't need your gun immediately you probably don't need your gun.

It's also been my experience that the kind of people that you actually need your gun for aren't the slightest bit intimidated that you have it and will dare you to shoot them if you tell them you're armed.

I've told this story on other forums but I was loading up my car getting ready to go to work one night when two random tweakers walked around the corner of the building and as soon as they saw me they decided they were going to rob me.

Now I want to make myself perfectly clear I was in my work uniform. I was wearing my duty belt. I was CLEARLY armed and they tried to rob me anyway.

I never said to them "I have a gun you need to get back" or anything like that but when I pulled it out they laughed at me and walked away.

This is hard to explain because on the one hand obviously they believed I was going to shoot them (and I certainly had every intention of doing EXACTLY that if they took one more step) but and I cannot stress this enough they were not intimidated. They just weren't willing to risk being shot for the reward.

I said all that to say this if I draw my gun I have already made the decision to shoot and I have every intention of shooting as soon as my sights are on the target.
    If you cease being a threat to me before I get to that point then obviously I wouldn't shoot.

What I'm not going to do is waste my time threatening you.
    Your most salient point. Very nice writeup.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links