Extreme Close Quarters Class AAR

This is a discussion on Extreme Close Quarters Class AAR within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I traveled to Newcomerstown, Ohio Sunday to participate in a one-day ECQ class presented by Greg Ellifritz and hosted by Buckeye Firearms Association. The profits ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By Dial1911
  • 2 Post By Big Western
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Extreme Close Quarters Class AAR

VIP Member

I traveled to Newcomerstown, Ohio Sunday to participate in a one-day ECQ class presented by Greg Ellifritz and hosted by Buckeye Firearms Association. The profits of the class are earmarked for the FASTER Program, sponsored by Buckeye to train armed school staff.

This is the second time I've taken the class. The first time was at TDI several years ago, a two-day offering. Greg was the primary instructor at that one, as well.

This isn't a high round-count class. Nearly all rounds fired are from the high retention position, mostly onesies and twosies out of the holster. My round total was about two hundred. High retention brings the gun from the holster as high onto the pec muscle as one can reach, remaining shoulders and hips square on the target. It is not intended to be used on targets beyond arm's reach.

Guns were mostly Glocks and M&P in the 9mm variety, with one 1911 .45, a couple SIGs, and my .45 Shield. Seventeen students, zero gun-induced malfunctions all day long. All malfunctions were failures to eject due to the slide catching on the shooters' pecs. Some of the larger guys experienced repeated failures.

Only two of us were working from concealment. Greg asked that we tuck in our cover garment and draw from an open carry position. No big deal.

The class was about half live fire, half hands-on, working with a partner, using roped guns. We went over and practiced some basic grappling/disarm techniques, gun stuffs, and counters.

While we didn't do any Sykes and Fairburn stuff, Greg did describe their work, and briefly demoed half and three-quarter hip.

All in all, an informative, worthwile class. Nothing earth-shattering, but a good review of some things I haven't worked much on for a long time.

This is about the eighth class I've taken with Greg as either the sole or primary instructor. As usual, he did not disappoint. He remains one of my four favorite instructors. If you ever get a chance to train with him, he gets highly recommended by me.

One thing I learned about my Shield. When the center axis between the gun and the grip is rotated outwardly with a one-handed grip, the recoil is very uncomfortable.
    AzQkr, Dial1911, flh and 4 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Nice AAR Mike. Would like to take a class like this sometime.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    “Beware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.”

Greg Ellifritz is respected by his peers for competence and professionalism.
    Mike1956 and JD like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    Greg Ellifritz is respected by his peers for competence and professionalism.
    Greg is one of my top three favorite instructors.
    Big Western likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

sounds like a worthwhile class
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Sponsored Links