Sub compact in shooting class - Page 3

Sub compact in shooting class

This is a discussion on Sub compact in shooting class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check the instructors credentials. I meant an individual at a shooting facility where I am a land share owner. Occasionally he conducted training (Individual and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Sub compact in shooting class

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Check the instructors credentials. I meant an individual at a shooting facility where I am a land share owner. Occasionally he conducted training (Individual and or Group) at the previously mentioned facility. Since he more or less scheduled the designated training bay on a regular basis I observed his instructional methodology thus training. We had conversations now and then. He eluded too, that he conducted training at MCB-Camp Lejeune. That proved to be incorrect, he may have taught in the vicinity and or adjacent to but not on the base. If it were I, I'd check out the trainer's credentials.
    Last edited by dennis40x; October 31st, 2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: words just words
    Big Western likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    There’s also the possibility that training with a smaller gun will highlight your deficiencies so much , that you will feel compelled to go to a larger gun.

I believe it’s possible , even probable that some who carry a smaller gun have an over inflated idea of their capabilities with it.

Just another angle for thought....
    This is definitely something to consider. Being that my 9mm subcompact is the only handgun I own, I have obviously tried to work to a level of proficiency with it that I feel pretty decent about. When I go out shooting with friends and shoot a full-size in the same caliber, or use a full-size pick-up gun at IDPA, I am always shocked at how much easier it is to shoot accurately (and quickly).

If I was really into the "gaming" aspect of IDPA, I would definitely shoot a full-size in SSP. For me it's only a guess, of course, but I would think that this "ease of use" would translate well to a defensive gun use.
    G-man* likes this.
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

Cal44, I did some searching for a respected instructor who offers pistol training in NorCal that you may or may not find right for you... His name is Mike Pannone, and he's a former Recon Marine who then reenlisted in the Army, and earned SF/Green Beret, and eventually served in Delta. He's a Master in USPSA divisions, and also worked as a security contractor overseas. Experience and skills are listed in his bio on the home page.

The two day course he's offering near you is a blend of Advanced Pistol on day 1, and Covert Carry on day 2. Minimum caliber is 9x19, and you'd need 1500 rounds for the two days.

If I find any one to two day classes in NorCal from other professionals, I'll post links.

https://www.ctt-solutions.com/classes/11-7hybrid-he2nl
    cal44 likes this.
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Dave Spaulding of Handgun Combatives is teaching a 2 day Advanced Covert Pistol class near Modesto in early December.
    https://handguncombatives.com/#portfolio
    cal44 likes this.
    "If you're in a gunfight there's no such thing as enough ammo, and your gunfight will only last as long as your ammo." - Clint Smith

"There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when you're drowning or on fire."
    - Mike Hughes of Gunsite

I used my Glock 26 for three different classes. I did not feel handicapped. Is nice to have plenty of mags however.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I took a defensive pistol class and used a 1911 - no issues. In fact, in the beginning of the class the instructor asked everyone what their mag capacity was, and he tailored the exercises to the smallest mag capacity in the class.

I've been thinking of taking it again with a revolver.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    ask whoever teaches the class. Some classes use drills that require a spefic amount of ammo in the magazine to complete the drill effectively.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    I've always taken whatever gun was in my carry holster, plus a couple spares. The past two years, that has been a .45 Shield. I do more mag changes than most others. Other than that, no issues.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links