Training: Good or bad? - Page 4

Training: Good or bad?

This is a discussion on Training: Good or bad? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LimaCharlie Training is good. Practice is good. Situational awareness is good. I still say that mindset is about 80% to 90% of ...

View Poll Results: Do you think training is good or bad?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry concealed an I am in favor of firearms training.

82 96.47%
  • I carry concealed and I am against firearms training

0 0%
  • I carry openly and I am in favor of firearms training.

2 2.35%
  • I carry openly and I am against firearms training.

1 1.18%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: Training: Good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Training is good. Practice is good. Situational awareness is good. I still say that mindset is about 80% to 90% of survival. I have seen people excel in all aspects of training fail miserably under duress. I have seen people who barely made it through training perform admirably under duress.
    This is the crux of the issue.
    Sister likes this.
    Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

So was this an exercise in making a poll that will give only the result I want to see? DR

Training is good. Practice is good. Situational awareness is good. I still say that mindset is about 80% to 90% of survival. I have seen people excel in all aspects of training fail miserably under duress. I have seen people who barely made it through training perform admirably under duress.
    So, it appears you do not subscribe to the theory, "In an emergency you will not rise to the occasion, but sink to the level of your training."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Is this a trick question?

Basic training for the inexperienced and continuous practice for the older more experienced can't be bad. As a practical matter I question how much money the average citizen needs to invest in high profile trainers but surely no good training is ever wasted.
    No. I feel like the answer is obvious and the results of the poll confirms it, I asked the question because of another discussion. I could have probably done a better job making the poll so the results would better reflect the discussion, but this is is what I made. I just wish there were more answers by open carriers.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I'm old as in the seventh decade of life. I've experienced combat but that was a long-long time ago. Today I practice avoidance of stupid people, places and things like a religion. I have on the property my own private handgun range, its not real complicated but it allows me to include movement in shooting sequences and the IDPA humanoid targets don't shoot back. Also I'm not in to weapon rotation concept for different situations but rather singular handgun. Occasionally but rarely I carry two handguns. Realistically I don't panic or become overwhelmed in bad situations. At least I haven't yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    How can someone be against good firearms training?
    Exactly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Havok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    So, it appears you do not subscribe to the theory, "In an emergency you will not rise to the occasion, but sink to the level of your training."
    I watched a guy go through six months of training. He had been a high school sports star and a full-scholarship four-year sports star at a major university. He was top of his class in every phase of training. In his first real-life situation, he froze, started crying, and was unable to act. He had never been in a situation where he was not in control and admired for who he was. He was a broken person after that.
    matthew03 likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I watched a guy go through six months of training. He had been a high school sports star and a full-scholarship four-year sports star at a major university. He was top of his class in every phase of training. In his first real-life situation, he froze, started crying, and was unable to act. He had never been in a situation where he was not in control and admired for who he was. He was a broken person after that.
    That is a sad story.
    airslot and matthew03 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Iím starting this thread as a result of a discussion in another thread, whether people are in favor or against training. This is not a discussion about whether or not there should be any sort of required training, or whether open carrying or concealed carry is better. Only whether you think people are better off with or without training.

- here in California training for CCW is required
    - there is no state requirement
    - but it is up to each county

- SOME counties have the bare minimum of requirements, but I still think it's helpful
    - SOME counties have a more strict training requirement, which in CA they call 'qualification'

- the stricter counties want something like 20 shots 2 reloads at 10, 20, 30 yards, weak hand.. etc.. etc...
    - I don't see how it can be bad requiring SOME sort of proof of competency

- but in general people are better with training than without.. to what extent training is helpful is subjective

Quote Originally Posted by starlights View Post
    - here in California training for CCW is required
    - there is no state requirement
    - but it is up to each county

- SOME counties have the bare minimum of requirements, but I still think it's helpful
    - SOME counties have a more strict training requirement, which in CA they call 'qualification'

- the stricter counties want something like 20 shots 2 reloads at 10, 20, 30 yards, weak hand.. etc.. etc...
    - I don't see how it can be bad requiring SOME sort of proof of competency

- but in general people are better with training than without.. to what extent training is helpful is subjective

Mandatory training is equivalent to a poll tax and infringes on the right to keep and bear arms.

Do CA counties also require people spend time and money on voting training in order to vote?

Training is a good thing, as long as itís voluntary.
    Havok, Cypher, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    As long as the training is voluntary, and not mandatory, I'm in favor of it.
    Agreed--considering the knowledge of firearms in general exhibited in some locations' legislation (home state IL, yes, I'm looking at you), I don't think there is competency to determine what the content ought to be, and thus should not be required by law.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Training is good, but practice is important.
    I know too many people who take a few training classes then never practice what they learn.
    I see that a lot too, 1/2 dozen or more classes in, and they are not at all confident or smooth in their weapon handling.

Class is the only place they work at this stuff and it isn't enough. Class is for learning, practice is for perfecting.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Class is for learning, practice is for perfecting.
    Well said, even though I do not practice enough.
    Havok and matthew03 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I see that a lot too, 1/2 dozen or more classes in, and they are not at all confident or smooth in their weapon handling.

Class is the only place they work at this stuff and it isn't enough. Class is for learning, practice is for perfecting.
    I have taken two courses that were taught by professionals, but that was while I lived in Middle Tennessee. One was the SWAT team captain, the other instructor was a retired SEAL Unfortunately, there are no local courses that anywhere reach the same level of intensity. I practice as regularly as possible, but because of my job and the weather, I don't practice as often as I desire. I will normally shoot 300 to 400 rounds when I do have a chance to visit the outdoor range. Once, when it had been two months since my last trip, I shot 800 rounds through my 40.
    matthew03 likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I have taken two courses that were taught by professionals, but that was while I lived in Middle Tennessee. One was the SWAT team captain, the other instructor was a retired SEAL Unfortunately, there are no local courses that anywhere reach the same level of intensity. I practice as regularly as possible, but because of my job and the weather, I don't practice as often as I desire. I will normally shoot 300 to 400 rounds when I do have a chance to visit the outdoor range. Once, when it had been two months since my last trip, I shot 800 rounds through my 40.
    You're a better man than I, Gunga Din. I lose interest after about 100 rounds. Anything after that and I'm just shooting.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links