Training: Good or bad? - Page 5

Training: Good or bad?

This is a discussion on Training: Good or bad? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Three of us hit the range yesterday midday, worked almost three hours challenging each other with courses of fire in our bay. Maybe two hundred ...

View Poll Results: Do you think training is good or bad?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry concealed an I am in favor of firearms training.

84 96.55%
  • I carry concealed and I am against firearms training

0 0%
  • I carry openly and I am in favor of firearms training.

2 2.30%
  • I carry openly and I am against firearms training.

1 1.15%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: Training: Good or bad?

Three of us hit the range yesterday midday, worked almost three hours challenging each other with courses of fire in our bay. Maybe two hundred rounds max for each of us. Knocked down steel, punched holes in IDPA targets and NRA targets. A little posting up and shooting, a lot of movement while shooting. We followed a maxim you've all heard, "don't just practice what you like to do". It was fun overall and totally challenging. If only we would take time to do it more often.

I tried out my G19-4 and G17-2 with some recent mods. New spring each for trigger and striker from Ghost made the trigger much lighter. Took a little practice "finding the trigger" and it felt great after just a few rounds. Perhaps predictably, the striker spring can be made too light for some primers. I had no problems with the CCI primers in the reloads we were shooting, but one of the factory loads I was shooting failed A LOT. Practicing let me retune the springs until I had it the way I wanted.

This was the first good practice since my Glock class in October. Good news is, my range time showed I've improved a lot with what I got from the two-day class. Big questions is, what's the next training? 'Course, that depends upon my goals. I'll have to work on those.
    simonp67 and M1911A1 like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I will normally shoot 300 to 400 rounds when I do have a chance to visit the outdoor range. Once, when it had been two months since my last trip, I shot 800 rounds through my 40.[/B]
    You're a better man than I, Gunga Din. I lose interest after about 100 rounds. Anything after that and I'm just shooting.

I usually shoot no more than 30 or 40 at a time if shooting a revolver, (most of the time) however, when im shooting 9mm or 45 ACP, I'll go through a couple hundred rounds before I know it.
    flintlock62 and SAXDM9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I usually shoot no more than 30 or 40 at a time if shooting a revolver, (most of the time) however, when im shooting 9mm or 45 ACP, I'll go through a couple hundred rounds before I know it.
    +1, @riggray. The night before, Iíll load up six mags of 17 rounds each plus two or three of 15 rounds. On the one hand this lets me concentrate my range time on shooting. However, it also makes it very likely Iíll shoot at least 130ish rounds. I think Iím less likely to shoot more than a 50-box or two if Iím loading mags as I go.

Besides dry-fire practice, I think well-planned trigger time is a good pathway for improving my shooting. Loading the mags the day before helps me concentrate at the range on deliberate trigger-time activities. I donít see loading mags as one of those ďessentialĒ skills Iíll try to improve on.
    Havok likes this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Wife and I did practice today, as we have committed to every week.

She worked on what she had learned last week, drawing from her purse and shooting with movement.
    She was taking too much time from the draw to rounds on target, so I took off the upper of the gun and gave her the lower for safety reasons, and I became the target.

First time she went thru it, I charged her and had her by the throat by the time she cleared the purse. This really woke her up.
    Second time, I took her to the ground.

By the third, fourth and fifth runs, she was learning and moving, while being able to present the lower receiver on me a lot quicker, before I made contact. This really made it real to her, and kicked in the sense of urgency. I reassembled her gun, and she improved greatly.

I did three drawing and shooting on the move with the 1911, and finished the last 4 with drawing and shooting at 10 yards.

We did not fire anymore than 21 rounds altogether, but they were highly productive and with a purpose.

Next week is learning to use a flashlight as a defensive tool in low to no light, with no shooting. Then the next outing we will put it all together.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post

She worked on what she had learned last week, drawing from her purse and shooting with movement.
    She was taking too much time from the draw to rounds on target, so I took off the upper of the gun and gave her the lower for safety reasons, and I became the target.

First time she went thru it, I charged her and had her by the throat by the time she cleared the purse. This really woke her up.

By the third, fourth and fifth runs, she was learning and moving, while being able to present the lower receiver on me a lot quicker, before I made contact. This really made it real to her, and kicked in the sense of urgency. I reassembled her gun, and she improved greatly.

I did three drawing and shooting on the move with the 1911, and finished the last 4 with drawing and shooting at 10 yards.

We did not fire anymore than 21 rounds altogether, but they were highly productive and with a purpose.

Next week is learning to use a flashlight as a defensive tool in low to no light, with no shooting. Then the next outing we will put it all together.
    Sounds like a valuable day of training!
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Sounds like a valuable day of training!
    She is a little sore, but in good spirits:)
    Havok likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Most of the training I've had came from my father, but it was military based. Dad was Air Force Security Forces during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Or, as he put it, when Casto got a wild hair up his rear end (paraphrasing for politeness). Those skills were honed while I was in the Army. I did get a bit of training there, however, bringing to mind this:

Attachment 307780
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Only whether you think people are better off with or without training.

I think that perhaps I am missing the seemingly elusive point of this thread. Certainly we are not realisticly posing this question as it is written. There is some sort of hidden meaning.. right?
    Havok and G-man* like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Everyone who carries a weapon should voluntarily get organized training specific to that weapon, as well as generalized shooting training. And, they should train w/ it on a regular basis.
    Havok likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I think that perhaps I am missing the seemingly elusive point of this thread. Certainly we are not realisticly posing this question as it is written. There is some sort of hidden meaning.. right?
    No. Thatís exactly what it is. I agree, it sounds stupid. There was a debate over whether open carriers specifically were against training. Not a training requirement, or anything like that. Just simply becoming proficient with the use of a firearm. I decided to start a poll to see who was right. Unfortunately the poll was almost all concealed carry so no real conclusion could be drawn. I wish the poll would have allowed for multiple selections for people who carry both ways, or that I would have made additional options to account for that.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post

Your training methods are very effective for getting someone in the correct mindset to understand a fight.

I still laugh about: "Ok just relax, Matt, I'm going to give you a shot of blood to your brain, don't worry, I'll catch you before you hit the floor".
    G-man* likes this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links