Trainer has ND, shoots self in leg - Page 2

Trainer has ND, shoots self in leg

This is a discussion on Trainer has ND, shoots self in leg within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the take-away from all this is it is impossible to be stupid and have an ND with a hammer-fired pistol. It that it?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Trainer has ND, shoots self in leg

So the take-away from all this is it is impossible to be stupid and have an ND with a hammer-fired pistol. It that it?
    OD*, dp1911, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Did it say what type of handgun was used, and I missed it?
    scottync likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So the take-away from all this is it is impossible to be stupid and have an ND with a hammer-fired pistol. It that it?
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Did it say what type of handgun was used, and I missed it?
    I guess since it was a civilian, it COULD have been a 1911. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I guess since it was a civilian, it COULD have been a 1911. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    1911s are weapons of war and civilians don't own weapons of war.

Do they?
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    In - 3 , 2 , 1 , striker fired , Glock Leg !! .....
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nobody said that. It's possible. Having a striker just makes being stupid more risky.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

What we have here, is Failure to...Communicate!
    ButtShot14 likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Not following the manual of arms, gets you a Manual of Leg
    Last edited by CommonCents; November 19th, 2019 at 08:30 PM.

I decided it can happen to anyone that's careless after a buddy of mine, a 20 year Marine Gunnery Sgt., did the same damn thing. That's my takeaway.

Gotta disagree with those calling the unfortunate trainer "stupid", or that he had no business being a trainer etc.. No one knows the guy, or how competent he is or is not.

These things should NOT happen,, yet they do, and to good competent individuals in ALL walks of life.. guns are dangerous when loaded, although thats not a common theme here.. Mishandling one is the usual cause of an accident.. Either that or inexperience.. However, good, knowledgeable, safety conscious people have accidents with guns on the very rare occasion.. Yes they DO minimize their chances, but even the very diligent and competent can do something wrong for an instant for the first time in his/her life, have attention diverted for a half second, or just plain have a freak 1 in a million happenstance on any given day.
    If you are arrogant enough to say "It can NEVER happen to me", I would say that you are being very naive'.. Bad things happen to good, or smart, or accomplished, or even expert people in all disciplines ... bob
    SAXDM9, BCC73, forester58 and 7 others like this.

Itís why they call it an accident

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Gotta disagree with those calling the unfortunate trainer "stupid", or that he had no business being a trainer etc.. No one knows the guy, or how competent he is or is not.

These things should NOT happen,, yet they do, and to good competent individuals in ALL walks of life.. guns are dangerous when loaded, although thats not a common theme here.. Mishandling one is the usual cause of an accident.. Either that or inexperience.. However, good, knowledgeable, safety conscious people have accidents with guns on the very rare occasion.. Yes they DO minimize their chances, but even the very diligent and competent can do something wrong for an instant for the first time in his/her life, have attention diverted for a half second, or just plain have a freak 1 in a million happenstance on any given day.
    If you are arrogant enough to say "It can NEVER happen to me", I would say that you are being very naive'.. Bad things happen to good, or smart, or accomplished, or even expert people in all disciplines ... bob
    ^^^^^. THIS ^^^^^^

I hope the instructorís okay. And I think this forumís members are better than than the early posts in this thread might indicate.
    OD* and AnthonyC like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post

Which is exactly why the "booger hook ,bang switch" cliche is so absurd. It ignores the risk of an ND all together with a loaded gun as if fingers were the only possible danger to a trigger getting tripped.
    scottync, JD, OD* and 3 others like this.

One little brain fart.
    Glad I don't get them.
    Had a ND once, never forgot it, no one was around or hurt.
    Except my ego of being a ....
    M1911A1, OldVet, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    One little brain fart.
    Glad I don't get them.
    Me, too.
    Although there were good-friend witnesses.
    My essentially-otherwise-safe gun handling assured that there were no injuries to either person or thing.
    Instymp and ETXhiker like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    One little brain fart.
    Glad I don't get them.
    Ditto. Very accidental, yet careless on my part. Let the hammer slip when "decocking" my .30-30. I'm so glad it wasn't striker fired. Could have been bad...
    G-man*, SAXDM9, Instymp and 4 others like this.

Lead Moderator
    I'd be willing to bet that his shirt got caught with the gun when he was holstering because it happens more than you think, especially drawing and reholstering from concealed carry.

Get distracted, feel a bit of resistance from the shirt being pressed into the holster, it fouls the trigger, you press it home and then BOOM.
    flh, scottync, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links