Trainer has ND, shoots self in leg - Page 4

Trainer has ND, shoots self in leg

This is a discussion on Trainer has ND, shoots self in leg within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gunenthusiast The reason is: if you freeze water inside striker chamber, striker fired will not shoot: no strength of spting will breake ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Trainer has ND, shoots self in leg

Quote Originally Posted by gunenthusiast View Post
    The reason is: if you freeze water inside striker chamber, striker fired will not shoot: no strength of spting will breake ice to move striker. If you freeze water in chammer if firing pin, hammer fired will still fire: impact of hammer will breake ice (you may need second pull, still)
    In what circumstances would this EVER be relevant? None is the only answer...
    Sig P365XL, 9mm
    EAA Witness P-Carry, 9mm
    EAA Witness Elite Match, 9mm
    Too bad they all fell in the lake in the boating accident...

Quote Originally Posted by LaserMan View Post
    I agree it would not be relevant in normal circumstances, but I would never say never. In extreme cold weather situations, condensation can get into gun actions and then freeze. At the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir in Korea, many gun actions froze, making the guns unfireable. Some militaries in Scandinavia have weapons that are specifically tested and chosen based on resistance to the actions freezing. So yeah, it's not a big consideration for the average person, but there are some situations where it is relevant.
    OD* likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So the take-away from all this is it is impossible to be stupid and have an ND with a hammer-fired pistol. It that it?
    25 year old me says, "Hold my beer. I'll show you stupid."

These days, I'm just slightly slower than average.
    Psalm 144:1

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

ok, help me out here, what is a ND?

Quote Originally Posted by likembikem View Post
    ok, help me out here, what is a ND?

Negligent Discharge.
    OD* and msgt/ret like this.

Well, there you go. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I agree it would not be relevant in normal circumstances, but I would never say never. In extreme cold weather situations, condensation can get into gun actions and then freeze. At the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir in Korea, many gun actions froze, making the guns unfireable. Some militaries in Scandinavia have weapons that are specifically tested and chosen based on resistance to the actions freezing. So yeah, it's not a big consideration for the average person, but there are some situations where it is relevant.
    And so our military went with a striker fired handgun?
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    And so our military went with a striker fired handgun?
    The look ahead for conflict is generally not in frozen climates. N. Korea might be an exception, but let's hope that doesn't happen. And like I said, freezing a firearm action is not a huge consideration, but it is not "no consideration at all."

In addition, I can say from years of working as a consultant in DoD procurement, that process does not follow the same logic the average person does. The big advantage of polymer and strikers to the military is that they are cheaper to produce and procure. Important note: That has nothing to do with retail prices. That is a whole other ballgame. It doesn't even have all that much to do with procurement unit cost, because there are all kinds of hidden costs that can get buried in a weapons system purchase. Remember the famous $600 hammer? That hammer actually cost $15. The rest went to research and development DoD wanted done that had nothing to do with the hammer.
    msgt/ret and Bad Bob like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    My general rule is draw quickly, finger off until on target, etc., but re-holster slow and deliberately, while looking at and into the holster...
    Big Western likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaserMan View Post
    I have seen it snowmobiling in North Dakota.
    OD* likes this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Gotta disagree with those calling the unfortunate trainer "stupid", or that he had no business being a trainer etc.. No one knows the guy, or how competent he is or is not.

These things should NOT happen,, yet they do, and to good competent individuals in ALL walks of life.. guns are dangerous when loaded, although thats not a common theme here.. Mishandling one is the usual cause of an accident.. Either that or inexperience.. However, good, knowledgeable, safety conscious people have accidents with guns on the very rare occasion.. Yes they DO minimize their chances, but even the very diligent and competent can do something wrong for an instant for the first time in his/her life, have attention diverted for a half second, or just plain have a freak 1 in a million happenstance on any given day.
    If you are arrogant enough to say "It can NEVER happen to me", I would say that you are being very naive'.. Bad things happen to good, or smart, or accomplished, or even expert people in all disciplines ... bob
    Yes, my friend, bad things can happen to the best of us. (Talk to excellent pilots who have landed with the landing gear up.)

Me? I only carry handguns with a manual safety. Yes, I know to keep my finger in the safe position, but I prefer two failure nodes. (I worked much of a career in risk assessment).

I do know that it's an emotional issue with many hereabouts, and I do not judge regarding choice of manual safety or not. That said, NDs are less likely with a manual-safety-equipped sidearm; and for me, that's important, and it drives my firearm selection decision-making.

graydude and OD* like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

"Firearms Education and Training Center" I'd say the instructor succeeded in his job as he taught them how to NOT shoot yourself.
    OD* likes this.
    The More People I Meet the More I Like My Dog.

I remember the first time I held a Glock. I asked where the safety was and dude pointed at the thingy on the trigger. I was like “say what?”

I cant speculate about this particular guy but what I have seen over the past decade is a culture where "gun-guys" spend way way way to much time over articulating their weapons and have put way way way too much emphasis on doing everything ultra intuitively ( without looking). These same guys seem to be in a race with one another to see who can do the fasted reholster, the fasted press check... who can catch a ejected round in their hand and half a dozen other fan-boi characteristic which have NOTHING to do with fighting prowess.

Some young goof at the range the other day watched me reholster my weapon said.. "ha! you looked". I told him that I always look. He said "why" and I responded.. why not?
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by bullet183 View Post
    I remember the first time I held a Glock. I asked where the safety was and dude pointed at the thingy on the trigger. I was like “say what?”
    Yeah. I’m amazed at how many people don’t realize the trigger dingus is nothing but a drop safety.
    OD*, Bad Bob and muzzleblast like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links