Today’s practice with the wife

This is a discussion on Today’s practice with the wife within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Still at it, helping her work from the purse once a week. Today, I had to take her back to basics of obtaining a proper ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Today’s practice with the wife

Still at it, helping her work from the purse once a week.

Today, I had to take her back to basics of obtaining a proper firing grip from the draw because I noticed her hand low on the grip creating more muzzle flip than necessary and slower follow up times.

Limiting the number of shots to one for each rep and slowing down to reinforce the grip, and picking up the front sight only, for a FSP seemed to help tremendously.
    Limiting the number of rounds fired for each session and concentration on the basics is paying off.

Also, had her fire off all the rounds in her keltec 32 auto, and spare mag to ensure the mag springs were still working properly. Not a hiccup.

I also ran about 30 rounds or so thru the Colt LW, doing pertinent drills consisting of one handed fire on the move from the draw at CQB distance, and working back to 10,20, and 30 yard static shooting from the draw. I’m very pleased with the willingness of the light Colt to oblige me without any issues.

Despite the 30 degree and falling temps and rain mixed with snow, cold hands and wet clothing, with windy conditions, we were able to get thru it.

A quick quick pass or two thru the barrels with a bore snake, brushed of bolt face, and charged with the HP rounds, and the Colts are ready for service again.

Continuing to use small targets to narrow the focus for good accuracy, and prevent a false sense of achievement.

I still don’t like the purse carry, but we are making progress with making it as viable as possible.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Can't get my wife past purse carry either. Very tough to do.
    BHC, G-man*, airslot and 1 others like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

I am also planning some practice with my wife, but I'm not going to post about it.
    rotorhead1026 and BHC like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Still at it, helping her work from the purse once a week.

Today, I had to take her back to basics of obtaining a proper firing grip from the draw because I noticed her hand low on the grip creating more muzzle flip than necessary and slower follow up times.

Limiting the number of shots to one for each rep and slowing down to reinforce the grip, and picking up the front sight only, for a FSP seemed to help tremendously.
    Limiting the number of rounds fired for each session and concentration on the basics is paying off.

Also, had her fire off all the rounds in her keltec 32 auto, and spare mag to ensure the mag springs were still working properly. Not a hiccup.

I also ran about 30 rounds or so thru the Colt LW, doing pertinent drills consisting of one handed fire on the move from the draw at CQB distance, and working back to 10,20, and 30 yard static shooting from the draw. I’m very pleased with the willingness of the light Colt to oblige me without any issues.

Despite the 30 degree and falling temps and rain mixed with snow, cold hands and wet clothing, with windy conditions, we were able to get thru it.

A quick quick pass or two thru the barrels with a bore snake, brushed of bolt face, and charged with the HP rounds, and the Colts are ready for service again.

Continuing to use small targets to narrow the focus for good accuracy, and prevent a false sense of achievement.

I still don’t like the purse carry, but we are making progress with making it as viable as possible.
    And what, about firearms and shooting, did she teach you?
    Or is it a one way subject?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    pkt005a likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    I am also planning some practice with my wife, but I'm not going to post about it.
    Well, you see, I began this journey with her when she chose a new gun for carry and posted it here to share the experience with members who may find it interesting.....as is common to do.

This is just a continuing update of that progress.
    BigJon10125, BHC and airslot like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    And what, about firearms and shooting, did she teach you?
    Or is it a one way subject?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I’m not sure I understand the question or it’s intent. Could you clarify?
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Well, you see, I began this journey with her when she chose a new gun for carry and posted it here to share the experience with members who may find it interesting.....as is common to do.

This is just a continuing update of that progress.
    I don't think that's the kind of "practice" with the wife he was referring to G-man.

Here's a video of my wife shooting the Farnam drill from her Maxpedition "purse" last week in California. She shot in a reasonable time, considering the fact that she shot from a bag and that she was shooting a P365. Obviously, her reload was slow. Your wife might find this interesting as a point of comparison. You can slow this down to ¼ speed for detailed analysis by selecting the gear on the right lower corner of the frame.'

G-man*, sammeow, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Here's a video of my wife shooting the Farnam drill from her Maxpedition "purse" last week in California. She shot in a reasonable time, considering the fact that she shot from a bag and that she was shooting a P365. Obviously, her reload was slow. Your wife might find this interesting as a point of comparison. You can slow this down to ¼ speed for detailed analysis by selecting the gear on the right lower corner of the frame.'

Looks like she has got it down pretty darn good!
    Thanks for posting! I’ll show it to the wife.
    G26Raven likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

VIP Member
    Good job for what all was involved. She got the gun out and first shot off in a bit less than 4 seconds and that's pretty darned good for a soft purse/pouch like that one. Good Shooting and good stance!

That part about having to sort of fumble in the purse for the gun is why I totally quit purse or fanny pack carry, even with proper size holsters secured inside the "bag." I used to do it when I was newer to guns than I am now, but when I realized there was no way I was going to get the gun out and on target fast enough to stop an attacker who was running at me, I went to full time body carry.

An elastic band 1 1/2" wide sewn toward the top of the pouch will hold the magazine in place, with the magazine turned in the right position to be drawn quickly and efficiently loaded into the gun. That could cut 2 seconds off the reload time. Just a suggestion from one who has been there and done that.

I DO realize that I still might not get the gun out and on target fast enough but I have a better chance with body carry. I also realize that some women refuse to carry on body. A gun in the purse is certainly better than not having a gun!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Thanks for the follow-up G-man. Properly focused training for her chosen mode of carry should yield big dividends in the long run. Keep up the good work. (The life she saves may be your own! )
    Paladin3840, G26Raven and G-man* like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Reinforcing the fundamentals is always a good thing....repetitions breeds muscle memory !! Good for you guys & Wives...….
    G26Raven and G-man* like this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

ShooterGranny, I wish you were close by and could take her under your wing. She’s comfortable shooting from a holster but refuses to wear one on a daily basis. I think if she met the right female instructor/role model she might be persuaded to change her mode of carry. We’ll have to see how we might rig a better method of carrying her spare. Those Maxpedition bags are pretty stiff, especially that pistol compartment. Thanks for your recommendations!
    ShooterGranny and G-man* like this.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Good job for what all was involved. She got the gun out and first shot off in a bit less than 4 seconds and that's pretty darned good for a soft purse/pouch like that one. Good Shooting and good stance!

That part about having to sort of fumble in the purse for the gun is why I totally quit purse or fanny pack carry, even with proper size holsters secured inside the "bag." I used to do it when I was newer to guns than I am now, but when I realized there was no way I was going to get the gun out and on target fast enough to stop an attacker who was running at me, I went to full time body carry.

An elastic band 1 1/2" wide sewn toward the top of the pouch will hold the magazine in place, with the magazine turned in the right position to be drawn quickly and efficiently loaded into the gun. That could cut 2 seconds off the reload time. Just a suggestion from one who has been there and done that.

I DO realize that I still might not get the gun out and on target fast enough but I have a better chance with body carry. I also realize that some women refuse to carry on body. A gun in the purse is certainly better than not having a gun!
    Im thinking we might have to take a short trip across the border for a visit with you. Like G26Raven, I believe she could use a woman’s perspective for on body carry.
    G26Raven likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

VIP Member
    Im thinking we might have to take a short trip across the border for a visit with you. Like G26Raven, I believe she could use a woman’s perspective for on body carry.
    Would LOVE to have you two come and visit. My new shooting buddy joined our women's group as a complete newbie. She came to my house one afternoon and I got out all of my gun belts and holsters, including the elastic/neoprene bellyband one. Also had a selection of different size guns out for her to try on. She was amazed to find out that she can comfortably carry a larger gun than she imagined. I did not even come close to letting her try purse or fanny pack stuff, so she does not have to be re-trained.

She is not close, yet, to actually carrying, but she immediately bought a very good gun belt (Armour) and a leather OWB holster for range use. And we are shooting together as close to once a week as our schedules permit. I need to stress that this is a woman who wears jeans style pants of various materials (some denim, some other fabrics) but never wore a belt with any clothing. UNTIL NOW.

Our sportsman club is outdoor range only and at this time is being totally redone to make 3 "bays" out of what was the lower range. Until that is finished the upper range which is all steel only is the only one that can be used. HOWEVER, trying on various gear items and practicing drawing with an empty gun can be done indoors at home. If you wait until spring when hopefully it will be done, we can do the show and tell at my house and then go to the range so she can practice drawing and shooting from body carry.

Final word, for now, is that a woman who wears dresses most of the time either has to learn thigh carry or use purse carry. Skirts are easy to combine with a good bellyband.

Hope that was not too much rambling. Repeat: Y'all come - you're certainly welcome.
    G-man*, G26Raven and Old Man like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links