This weeks practice; the Wizard Drill!

This is a discussion on This weeks practice; the Wizard Drill! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just finished up a good practice using 2 different commonly carried handguns with 2 different modes of carry, just for a comparison. First the G26 ...

Like Tree30Likes
  • 14 Post By G-man*
  • 4 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 3 Post By G-man*
  • 3 Post By nj709
  • 3 Post By TSKnight
  • 1 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By CrabbyOldGuy

Thread: This weeks practice; the Wizard Drill!

Just finished up a good practice using 2 different commonly carried handguns with 2 different modes of carry, just for a comparison.

First the G26 carried AIWB, and second was the Colt LW Commander carried at 3:00 IWB.

For those not familiar with this drill is pretty simple, but deceptive.

All shots from concealed draw. 2.5 second time limit for each stage of fire.

First stage is strong hand only, draw and place 1 shot in an area about 4 inches x 3 inches wide at 3 yards.
    Second stage is 5 yards, same time limit, same target area, 1 shot, but 1 or two hands can be used.
    Third stage is same target area, same time, 1 shot but from 7 yards.
    Fourth stage is 10 yards, same time, but 2 shots that must be on a target area roughly the size of a paper plate.

Since I didnít have an IDPA target, I just drew a 4 inch wide x 3 inch high box on the plate to approximately replicate proper dimensions of the ocular cavity, and allowed the plate itself to replicate the thoracic scoring ring of an IDPA target.

I did equally well with both pistols, and had no trouble getting hits within the 2.5 second limit on stages 1 and 2.

Stage 3 was kind of a literal ď hit or missĒ.

Stage 4 was where I found problems. Getting that second shot off accurately would often put me over the time limit, which is a fail. My follow up shot at 10 yards with both guns often put me at the 3 second mark, but making the hit was not an issue.

I always knew shooting fast was a weak point, so now, I have a standard to meet that will help me improve that.

Give this drill a try if you are looking for something fun to do that will build your skill, and show highlight your weak areas.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    What is it about a further distance that slows us down?

I know that at the SD schools Gramps and I went to, it was emphasized to slow down at longer distances because those distances require a more precision shot........but that was slightly slower at 15 yards and noticeably slower at 25 yards. At my age and with my eyes and hands the way they are, I'm doing good to hit an IDPA target ("that tan blur way out there") at all at 25 yards anymore!
    Old Man, G-man*, Struckat and 1 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    What is it about a further distance that slows us down?

I know that at the SD schools Gramps and I went to, it was emphasized to slow down at longer distances because those distances require a more precision shot........but that was slightly slower at 15 yards and noticeably slower at 25 yards. At my age and with my eyes and hands the way they are, I'm doing good to hit an IDPA target ("that tan blur way out there") at all at 25 yards anymore!
    I think in my particular case, itís because I have worked so much with CQB distance and using a flash sight picture, and, slow fire practice at distance, that I have left out the ď in the middle ď work.

I need to work on two things; getting a quick sight pic, and faster splits at 10 yards.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

G-Man - I tried this the other day after watching the Ken Hackathorn video you posted. Used a Glock 36 simply because I like that gun. My times were more like 3.5 seconds on the longer stages but I put all of the shots where they needed to go. That was considerably better than I thought I would do and showed me I could do it with some practice. And it was fun! Thanks for posting the video.
    Chaplain Scott, G-man* and OD* like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Never a bad thing to push yourself towards being better prepared.

With the loss of feeling in my hands, my draw time has suffered.
    One big reason that I have worked harder on point shooting at ranges out to 15 feet and even farther. Getting that first shot off and making it count can be the difference between going home and not.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    One of Hackathorn's better drills.

CrabbyOldGuy likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Stage 4 is interesting in that many shooters treat the second shot like the first. That is, trying to find the sights, find the target, ... Recently, Iíve been focused on following the front sight (or red dot) throughout the slideís cycle. If Iím diligent about grip and wrist, the sight picture returns - quickly. The second shot goes right where it should because Iím learning to trust the mechanics rather than actually refocusing and reacquiring.

Iím sure my explanation wonít make sense to everyone. But, it seems to working for me. The important part is learning to watch during the slide cycle instead of waiting for the commotion to stop and then starting to retarget.
    ShooterGranny and rocky like this.

Lead Moderator
    A strong thumbs forward grip, riding the trigger reset and following the front sight in recoil helped me to speed up shots shooting a similar drill.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sponsored Links