Part of My Tactical Training

This is a discussion on Part of My Tactical Training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Includes physical conditioning. For me, much of that conditioning involves low to no impact exercise. Bicycling is the most enjoyable, bang for my buck exercise ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Part of My Tactical Training

VIP Member

Includes physical conditioning. For me, much of that conditioning involves low to no impact exercise. Bicycling is the most enjoyable, bang for my buck exercise I have. It's a sunny 19 degrees out, with a six-knot wind out of the north. I'll see you when I get back!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Part of My Tactical Training-img_0364-1-.jpg  

Attached Images  
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Stay safe
    Mike1956 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    We have pedal pushers by the hundreds during the Spring-Summer & Fall but not so much during the Winter. Our residence is adjacent to a recreation area. Thus we also have the Foot-Pounders. Then there are the lost Souls whom wonder out of the woods, thus we run a shuttle service of sorts on occasion so they may get back where they've parked their vehicles. We've gained a certain amount of experience in bicycle minor repairs and adjustments. Some of the bikes made with composite materials are $$$$$$$!
    Mike1956, airslot and Bad Bob like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Mike,
    You need some better foot covering. Or at least get the winter shoe covers that are used with clipless pedals.
    “Beware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    We have pedal pushers by the hundreds during the Spring-Summer & Fall but not so much during the Winter. Our residence is adjacent to a recreation area. Thus we also have the Foot-Pounders. Then there are the lost Souls whom wonder out of the woods, thus we run a shuttle service of sorts on occasion so they may get back where they've parked their vehicles. We've gained a certain amount of experience in bicycle minor repairs and adjustments. Some of the bikes made with composite materials are $$$$$$$!
    I live in a great area for bicycling. When the sun is shining and the temp is comfortable, cyclists are everywhere. When it dips below fifty degrees or so, I pretty much have the roads to myself.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dial1911 View Post
    Mike,
    You need some better foot covering. Or at least get the winter shoe covers that are used with clipless pedals.

I don't clip in during cold weather. My Asics runners work fine down to about thirty degrees. Below that, my Vasque hikers are my go-to footgear for riding.
    surefire7 and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    I have two "mountain bike's, and try to get a couple of miles in, 3 time's a week. I do need to continue my "lite weight loss program" I'm the about same height as you/waist size, but didn't quite hit your weight, when I decided to shed some baggage. Also, I'm a few years ahead of you, so it's been hard to get started. One advantage: I'm a "few mile's south"!
    Mike1956 and airslot like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    I have two "mountain bike's, and try to get a couple of miles in, 3 time's a week. I do need to continue my "lite weight loss program" I'm the about same height as you/waist size, but didn't quite hit your weight, when I decided to shed some baggage. Also, I'm a few years ahead of you, so it's been hard to get started. One advantage: I'm a "few mile's south"!
    I might be getting a bit obsessive about the weight thing, but it's working out. I got the new gravel bike a month ago while I was on hiatus from the forum, and have managed to average about nine miles/day on it since I got it. I've dropped four more pounds in the process.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I might be getting a bit obsessive about the weight thing, but it's working out. I got the new gravel bike a month ago while I was on hiatus from the forum, and have managed to average about nine miles/day on it since I got it. I've dropped four more pounds in the process.

Cool! Total weight loss goal for me is only about 12#. Main thing for me is keeping my legs strong/in good shape for handling my M/C.
    demanic, Mike1956 and airslot like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    [/B]

Cool! Total weight loss goal for me is only about 12#. Main thing for me is keeping my legs strong/in good shape for handling my M/C.
    Here is the pic that sealed the weight loss deal for me, taken in Israel in July of 2018. I was about 225 lbs in that pic. By October of that year I had gotten it down to around 207. A month ago, I was down to 190-191. This morning I was at 187. I've taken maybe ten inches off that bulge below my diaphram, and four inches off my waist.

Part of My Tactical Training-masada-dead-sea-191.jpg
    Pete63, OldVet, G26Raven and 11 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here is the pic that sealed the weight loss deal for me, taken in Israel in July of 2018. I was about 225 lbs
    Yep - you for sure had the pending heart attack/diabetes belly, Mike. Hearty congratulations on your success thus far with both the weight loss and the exercise plan. Although: No way would I be out on a bicycle in that weather even in my younger days. We have a good quality stationary bike in the spare bedroom/gun cleaning/etc. room. Not that it gets used, but it is there.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

You're nuts. Smart, but nuts.

I'm holding firm at -80 pounds. The knees aren't ready for a moving bicycle yet. The folks at PT freaked out when I mentioned climbing a ladder yesterday. I told them I needed to get up on the roof but it would have to wait until next week.

It's kind of funny. I decided a stationary bike would be just the workout my knees needed. Usually all I'd have to do is drive around on trash pick-up night and there'd be a half dozen out on the curb. Now I can't find one anywhere, not even in the Goodwill/thrift stores!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I’ve got a really good mountain bike that I need to have work done on, because I have let it sit and collect dust.

I probably need to get back in to that since my knees are not liking the running.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Studded tires on that bike ? Looks icy in that pic !
    5lima30ret likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I’ve got a really good mountain bike that I need to have work done on, because I have let it sit and collect dust.

I probably need to get back in to that since my knees are not liking the running.
    Bicycling is about as impact-free as it gets for me.
    airslot, OD* and Bad Bob like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links