Do you shoot from the same "side" for both pistol and long guns? - Page 3

Do you shoot from the same "side" for both pistol and long guns?

This is a discussion on Do you shoot from the same "side" for both pistol and long guns? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I chose Other . I'm a Southpaw for most things, but am right eye dominate, and shoot handguns & rifles right handed. (The exception being ...

View Poll Results: Do you shoot from the same "side" for both pistol and long guns?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am right handed and shoot both pistol and rifle from the right side.

40 62.50%
  • I am left handed and shoot both pistol and rifle from the left side.

5 7.81%
  • I shoot my pistol right handed, but my rifle from my left shoulder.

9 14.06%
  • I shoot my pistol left handed, but my rifle from my right shoulder.

0 0%
  • Other

10 15.63%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Do you shoot from the same "side" for both pistol and long guns?

I chose Other.

I'm a Southpaw for most things, but am right eye dominate, and shoot handguns & rifles right handed. (The exception being when I practice weak hand shooting, which ain't easy.)

I play guitar and bass right handed as well.

Not ambidextrous at all.
    G26Raven, Nmuskier and bmcgilvray like this.
    "The sun won't shine 'til the clouds are gone, the clouds won't go 'til their work is done,
    every morning you'll hear me pray, if only it would rain today...
    "

Sting / Heavy Cloud No Rain

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    How does this work? If you focus on your finger there will be 2 fence posts in the distance. If you focus on the fence post there will be 2 fingers.

Close one eye and then the other.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I am right eye dominant and shoot pistols, shotguns, and rifles right handed.

My wife is left eye dominant, she shoots pistols right handed and shotguns and rifles left handed. For her, shooting pump shotguns was really easier - since her dominant hand worked the pump. She really hasn't done a lot of rifle shooting, but has done a lot of defensive shotgun work in the past.
    G26Raven and matthew03 like this.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm a lefty and can shoot with either hand for pistol and am slightly better with my right hand.

I shoot rifle mainly left but can do the other if necessary.
    G26Raven likes this.

However it's determined, the dominant eye is the one you would naturally use to see things clearer when the desire to focus clearly on an object is done voluntarily. Even if a person's eyes are both close to the accepted norm of 20/20 or better most still prefer one over the other because the term 20/20 is rather ambiguous.

My ophthalmologist told me that very seldom are peoples eyes both the exact same strength. If they are different (close to 20/20 in one, close to 25/20 in the other for example) then it's a no-brainer. In my case I have close to 20/20 (corrected) in my left eye, and close to 20/40 (corrected) in my right eye. Basically legally blind in my right eye although I do have excellent peripheral vision out of it.

The finger covering a vertical object test described really doesn't adequately determine which eye would be used as the dominant eye, but it does determine which eye is lazier than the other. For instance, I work with guy that has a seriously lazy eye, but he has very good uncorrected vision out of both eyes. He can use both eyes together when he concentrates. But he tells me that he is right eye dominate because that's the one that his brain usually uses to look at people when he's talking to them. But I've caught him talking to me with his left eye focused on me... or he was looking beyond me with his right eye...the guys are eyes are just creepy regardless.
    G26Raven and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    I chose "other". I carry pistol's daily for right-handed strong-side draw & (what amounts to weak-side) left-handed draw. A finger injury some time back left me "left-handed" for about 14 months, so I became proficient with both hands, with a handgun. I can shoot long guns also, weak-handed, but not as well as I handle pistols ambidextrously.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Close one eye and then the other.
    It always moves. If you line it up with the right eye then switch to the left it moves. If your line it up with the left then switch to the right it moves.

I've never understood how to figure this out.

My dad just explained it like this. Make a circle with both hands with your thumbs and fingers touching and look through the hole at an object. Now close one eye then the other, one should align with the object. If this is a good way to test then I'm right eye dominant.
    Nmuskier and Grizzly2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    It always moves. If you line it up with the right eye then switch to the left it moves. If your line it up with the left then switch to the right it moves.

I've never understood how to figure this out.

My dad just explained it like this. Make a circle with both hands with your thumbs and fingers touching and look through the hole at an object. Now close one eye then the other, one should align with the object. If this is a good way to test then I'm right eye dominant.
    Thay sounds like a good method. It is a variation of holding both hands extended straight out. Hold palms away from you, fingers up. Open your thumbs to the inside (thumbs pointing toward each other). Rotate your hands and overlap them so there is a teardrop shaped hole between the webbing of your thumbs.

With both eyes open, look through the hole at a somewhat distant object (20+ feet). Without moving your head, close one eye. Still see the target? That is your dominant eye. Don't see the target? Try the other eye.

Now, you will see people moving, shifting, and compensating to get the eye they want, or to cheat the test. (They can try to cheat your dad's version too). That is where my instruction advice comes in. Anyone can try to manipulate or compensate. Natural point of aim will just give a more efficient result.

But people can choose to spend their time, ammo, and money on whatever makes them feel good.
    Novarider and matthew03 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

The variant that I was told was to do the extended hand/triangle or tear drop with both eyes open. Focus on your distant point and then bring your hands back, keeping that distant thing in the center of the opening while both eyes are open. Your hands will pull back in front of one eye or the other, and that would be the dominant eye. Interestingly enough, migraineurs (which I am, though at least my triggers are mostly avoidable) are more likely to be left-eye dominant.
    Nmuskier likes this.

I'm right-handed, but left eye dominant. But I didn't know about the dominance until just a couple years ago.

I have always shot long guns right handed, and when I first started shooting a pistol three or four years ago, I taught myself right handed. But I struggled with the sight picture. Then I found out why. I have adjusted and do okay, but I wish I had known about eye dominance back when I was a teenager. I probably could have taught myself to shoot left-handed, and been much better at dove and quail hunting. My cousins were all better than me.

But at this stage of my life, I am not going to retrain myself to shoot long guns left handed, nor pistols for that matter.
    G26Raven likes this.

Primarily I shoot pistol right, long gun left; cross eye dominant.
    However I train handgun and long gun on strong and off side, so I can maximize the use of cover concealment, and in case of injury.

I voted other.
    G26Raven and bmcgilvray like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I'm a mix a guess . I am right handed left eye dominate with a handgun but rifles have scopes and can be adjusted to my right eye and just close my left eye before firing for a more definded view but still I practice left handgun shooting with both a handgun and rifle .

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot handguns right handed but rifles and shotguns left handed.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

There are missing options, so I vothed "other". Below I list all combinations I practice. This is only about pistol, I live in tyranny called Chicago, so, no rifle...

1. two hand grab support over dominant, aiming with right eye, and aiming with left eye
    2. two hand grab dominant over support, aiming with right eye, and aiming with left eye
    3. single left hand aiming with left eye
    4. single left hand aiming with right eye
    5. single right hand aiming with rigt eye
    6. single rigt hand aiming with left eye

This all may sound strange, but if you shoot from cover, say, from behind the corner of building, that cover defines which way you shoot while being least exposed. Now if you got some debris in one eye, you should be able to switch over to another eye that still works withoout changing anything else. If you disarm your opponent, the safest disarm defines which hand you will have his weapon in, and in some countries special forces train at the end of disarm you clear the jam and put two shots in your opponent. Warriors do not have legal consequences, and as you just disarmed him, he can disam you (do not underestimate your enemy!).

Senior Moderator
    I'm glad you folks who chose "other" clarified why you made that choice.

Otherwise I had visions of Defensive Carry Forum members shooting with their left feet, or their ears, their teeth, or their spleen.

I'm so "right" configured that it's surprising that the left side doesn't file a discrimination lawsuit for civil rights violations.
    matthew03 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links