Which side should I use?

Which side should I use?

This is a discussion on Which side should I use? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know its a question thats asked a lot but... Im just about ambidexterous. Left handed and left eye dominant with perhaps .5% difference between ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By P226
  • 1 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 2 Post By Havok
  • 1 Post By Pete63

Thread: Which side should I use?

Which side should I use?

I know its a question thats asked a lot but...

Im just about ambidexterous. Left handed and left eye dominant with perhaps .5% difference between sides.

I normally shoot left handed but would prefer to shoot right handed.

Its just a tiny bit odd feeling but not by much.

In other words I just want to shoot like a normal person lol.

Should I stay with the left primarily, or can I train my right side to be as efficient?

With all thats going on in the world atm im making sure all my gear is in order but ive switched sides a few times and dont want to really redo all my gear again.

Im mostly wonderng from a technical skill stand point is there really any benefit of one way over another?

Those of you who teach defensive shooting. What do you tell those who are left handed and left eye dominant?
    LimaCharlie likes this.

I am very left-handed and very right eye dominant. I have been shooting and carrying right-handed since 1969. I have both right-hand and left-hand holsters for most of my carry guns. I can shoot defensively with either hand with both eyes open. When I shoot for accuracy at distances, I close my left eye. I have been known to carry two full size handguns on occasion. I shoot long guns exclusively right-handed.
    P226 likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

By a holster for each side. Practice carrying, drawing, and shooting both ways. See what you like best, and then keep the other holster for backup in case of injury, or you want a second gun, or any other reason you might need it. Use the ambidexterity to your advantage! Welcome to the forum.
    LimaCharlie and P226 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Thank you! This gives me an idea or two😁

VIP Member
    I am right eye dominant. I carry a pistol at 11:00 OWB, for left hand draw. I also carry a pistol at 1:30, AIWB, for right hand draw. I suggest doing as @Havok stated, and try both. As for long guns, I shoot all, right handed, with right eye for sighting.YOU are the one whom will make the decision to shoot right handed also. Welcome to the forum, from Texas.
    Havok likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

If it is for carry I would stick with whatever works instinctively. Place an object on a table, stand and close your eyes then reach quickly for that object. Whichever hand you reach with is the one Iíd train with.

I am right handed; left eye dominant thatís how I train.

Sponsored Links