Are you both Good and Dangerous?

This is a discussion on Are you both Good and Dangerous? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the character traits described here in this video are what most of us aspire to, and I am sure only a select few ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Are you both Good and Dangerous?

I think the character traits described here in this video are what most of us aspire to, and I am sure only a select few actually achieve. I don't count myself as part of the select few.

Pete63, msgt/ret and TSKnight like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

VIP Member
    Unfortunately I know way too many of the #3 type people.

The video highlights a very important and mostly ignored (on purpose) topic and that is "nobody knows how they will respond until they have had to" this goes to all the folks who scoff at weapon familiarity and the KISS principal. We are all ninjas in our heads who will never miss a safety or forget to decock after a shooting. We use capacity to supplement skill. We let fantasies drive our choices instead of the hard and often mundane reality of life.
    A skilled man with a lesser weapon is more dangerous than the unskilled man with superior hardware. Its not popular on a gun centric forum geared more toward firearm envy than self defense.
    If this is to end in fire then we should all burn together.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    John has a pretty good channel. I'm sub'd to it. He is also working on weaning us off boob-tube, and anti-2nd freedoms, which control content & policy, with his own network. Hoping it succeeds!
    G-man*, G26Raven, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    The video highlights a very important and mostly ignored (on purpose) topic and that is "nobody knows how they will respond until they have had to" this goes to all the folks who scoff at weapon familiarity and the KISS principal. We are all ninjas in our heads who will never miss a safety of forget to decock after a shooting. We use capacity to supplement skill. We let fantasies drive our choices instead of the hard and often mundane reality of life.
    A skilled man with a lesser weapon is more dangerous than the unskilled man with superior hardware. Its not popular on a gun centric forum geared more toward firearm envy than self defense.
    Agree, new toys are great, but without skills they mean little in a fight.
    I believe in KISS. I train with a 1911, .357 revolver, .44 lever rifle, pump 12guage.
    My only "toys" are an AR 10 and 15 style rifle, just use it enough to stay familiar with in case of SHTF
    G-man*, Pete63, G26Raven and 3 others like this.

IIRC we all need to keep in mind that, as civilians, we are engaged in a thought process called DEFENSE OF LIFE.

I am not, nor ever going to be a Ninja warrior. Nor will I ever be a SEAL, snake eater SWAT team member, or engage in a military operation. Neither will I ever seek opportunity to be a hero. I will do what is necessary. My thanks will be innocent life protected.

My purpose in life, beyond my responsibilities as a man of God, husband, father, grandfather, and great grandfather, is to defend myself and my family, and maybe to protect another innocent life. Period. ( Don't tell Mrs OldChap about this, she thinks I'm the resident handyman/dishwasher )

I don't need huge amounts of training and expertise to achieve the latter goal. I need just enough of two things: Luck and determination. Concerning determination, I have seen people with enough of that quality to supply a platoon of Marines. It is that process of saying to yourself, "This far, and no farther." It is a mindset that I will never surrender or give up. I will lay my life down, if necessary, to protect those I have been entrusted with protecting. It is not a talisman, bravado, or anything else someone happens to think they are wise enough to hang a label on.

I would rather face a battalion of screaming Comanche Indians than one man who has a little luck and a whole lot of determination. I am not a dangerous man. I'm not a hero. I only hope I am one of those fortunate enough to exploit any luck that might come my way with my grim determination to prevail just long enough. If not, I'll at least die trying.

Good? For me, I'd rather be forgiven than good. That isn't up to me to decide.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Good video.

The big bad wolf hasn't eaten me yet...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Good video. The big bad wolf hasn't eaten me yet...
    You obviously subscribe to your signature quite well..
    Mike1956 and OldChap like this.
    Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    You obviously subscribe to your signature quite well..
    Lunch is ready, and I'm not it.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.― Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    IIRC we all need to keep in mind that, as civilians, we are engaged in a thought process called DEFENSE OF LIFE.

I am not, nor ever going to be a Ninja warrior. Nor will I ever be a SEAL, snake eater SWAT team member, or engage in a military operation. Neither will I ever seek opportunity to be a hero. I will do what is necessary. My thanks will be innocent life protected.

My purpose in life, beyond my responsibilities as a man of God, husband, father, grandfather, and great grandfather, is to defend myself and my family, and maybe to protect another innocent life. Period. ( Don't tell Mrs OldChap about this, she thinks I'm the resident handyman/dishwasher )

I don't need huge amounts of training and expertise to achieve the latter goal. I need just enough of two things: Luck and determination. Concerning determination, I have seen people with enough of that quality to supply a platoon of Marines. It is that process of saying to yourself, "This far, and no farther." It is a mindset that I will never surrender or give up. I will lay my life down, if necessary, to protect those I have been entrusted with protecting. It is not a talisman, bravado, or anything else someone happens to think they are wise enough to hang a label on.

I would rather face a battalion of screaming Comanche Indians than one man who has a little luck and a whole lot of determination. I am not a dangerous man. I'm not a hero. I only hope I am one of those fortunate enough to exploit any luck that might come my way with my grim determination to prevail just long enough. If not, I'll at least die trying.

Good? For me, I'd rather be forgiven than good. That isn't up to me to decide.
    Just add one more thing to your two things.
    Courage. Courage gets you in the fight to begin with, everything else gets you through it.

He forgot the MOST DANGEROUS class of beasts on the planet. So forthwith...

NUMBER 4 - POLITICIANS
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

"Show me a hero and I'll show you a bum." Pappy Boyington
    "Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy. - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    "Being a hero is about the shortest-lived profession on earth." - Will Rogers
    "Pentagon duty makes cowards out of our greatest heroes." - Unknown

I personally don't care for analyses like those shown in the video. It sounds like Grossman's "sheep dip" theory. I have had the privilege to know a few real heroes and I think heroes are ordinary people, people who may often do the wrong things, people who sometimes screw up, but who wind up in a situation that requires great bravery for a greater good and they rise to the occasion. This is not denigrating heroes at all. In fact, it is elevating them.
    bill35738 and M1911A1 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

There are enough topics in that little speech to fill a book.
    G26Raven and zonker1986 like this.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself "hands behind the back" toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I'm a harmless lil' fluffball.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    I'm a harmless lil' fluffball.
    Why don't I believe that statement?
    Mike Tyson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links