Best non-gun defense against a gun? - Page 4

Best non-gun defense against a gun?

This is a discussion on Best non-gun defense against a gun? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks to everybody for the great responses. I'm kind of surprised to see "blunt weapon" doing so well. Would anyone who voted so like to ...

View Poll Results: What would you choose as your first option?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knife

9 12.50%
  • Blunt weapon (baton, etc)

10 13.89%
  • Pepper spray/gel

16 22.22%
  • Taser

4 5.56%
  • Fire extinguisher

2 2.78%
  • Empty hands

4 5.56%
  • Other

27 37.50%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Best non-gun defense against a gun?

Thanks to everybody for the great responses.

I'm kind of surprised to see "blunt weapon" doing so well. Would anyone who voted so like to explain? I'm wondering if that means improvised impact weapons, throwing convenient objects, purpose-designed weapons like expandable batons, or what.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I just point to the "No Firearms Allowed" sign by the front door...................surprised none of you guys thought of that.
    maxwell97 and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Hi all,

So, my workplace bans firearms, as many do. So for about half my waking hours I find myself without a firearm. My workplace is not especially violent, but the possibility is of course there, and of course the workspaces are laid out with no thought of security (i.e. escape) whatsoever. I actually would have no moral issue with carrying against policy, but there are certain concerns that make it impractical (believe me, I've tried to figure out a way).

So, in such a situation, what would you consider to be your best option? Consider any firearms to be off-limits, as well as brass knuckles, switchblades, "sand clubs" (saps) and "slungshots" (weights swung on a cord or chain). It's silly, but that's MN law!

My personal selection so far has been pepper spray with a six-yard advertised range, and I always have a folding knife, so that's something.

Edit: thanks to all for great replies. There's a lot of "other," and it sounds like some of those are in favor of escape as a first option. To clarify, I agree wholeheartedly, and think that should probably be the first option even when one has a gun; but let's assume for this discussion that a gunman is between you and any avenue of escape. Unfortunately many workspaces are arranged in such a way to make this a likelihood.
    Maxwell, I didn't read all of this thread but I didn't see in your post as to if you worked outside or inside? Pepper spray is great if your inside, outside, not so much. The wind can turn a bad situation worse.

Wish you the best!
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Please relax, take a deep breath....
    Trust the Lord God with all your heart, and He will direct your path.
    Jesus loves you, you will be okay.
    ❤️

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    That's pretty insane. I tend to believe that, though they'll say such policies are for "employee safety," the real motivation of employers is to avoid liability. At the end of the day the employer is better off if an employee is murdered by a criminal than if a criminal is killed by an employee - the latter exposes them to lawsuits and the former (generally) does not. That's a pretty sick situation, if you ask me.
    That was the exact reason for that "policy." To avoid liability. They even had a Human Resources officer from corporate come and do a presentation about it. The basic gist of her speech was "it's better to be the victim than the hero." The following week I quit. It was a screwed up company for sure and I am happy to have that place behind me.
    maxwell97 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pijo73 View Post
    Best i would have on a job site is my brain, second would be my bladed tools or a blunt object
    Tasers and pepper spray etc would fall under most companies "no weapons" stance
    My brain is my blunt object
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I would think that a sternly worded policy letter forbidding the discharge of firearms on the premises would probably be the best defense. Carry it with you at all times.
    maxwell97 and farsidefan1 like this.

I can not say I know what I would choose, but the best one would be whatever is at hand and WORKS. Thank you.
    maxwell97 and AzQkr like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbeam View Post
    I would think that a sternly worded policy letter forbidding the discharge of firearms on the premises would probably be the best defense. Carry it with you at all times.
    carry it in your sash with the badge
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I like the civilian taser. It gives you 30 seconds to disarm and control a perp.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Honestly might sound a lil silly but the human brain is the best defense, mindset and emotion control is key

There are simply TOOOO many variables here & we all imagine the described scenario differently. Do you hear the shooter crankin'-off rounds beFORE he sees/hears you? Is this random insanity or are you the PRIMARY target? Is the facility filled with natural light or goes it go dark with the switch(es)? Is there immediately responding, armed security on-site or will LEO lag-time play into the calculation? If the facility has their no-gun policy documented, ask the top-dog what HE/SHE plans...to do?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My brain and my feet. the brain still works, feet are a little slower.
    GhostKarma likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links