EDC Items.....OC Spray Anyone? - Page 4

EDC Items.....OC Spray Anyone?

This is a discussion on EDC Items.....OC Spray Anyone? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fizban I have used it in a correctional setting ( my career started correctional) but I excluded the majority of that for ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: EDC Items.....OC Spray Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I have used it in a correctional setting ( my career started correctional) but I excluded the majority of that for the purposes of this discussion since the context is SD in a street environment. If you think that (70) is a lot of use over several decades, I envy the tranquility of your city.
    I guess if the only tool in your toolbox is OC then you would deploy it a lot. I have served my 27 years thus far with a plethora of options at my disposal, thanks to my agency which stays con top of such things. Most of my 30 OC deployments came early on before much better and more effective tools came along. And I don't have a city, I have a state. But we do get called in a lot when things in the cities get out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    10-4, I know I was preaching to the choir but I figured that there might be someone following the thread that hasn't experience it. I got a chuckle once I re-read my comment because it sounded as if I were ignoring the fact that you have used it plenty. Sorry if that came out wrong

I did not know about the gel and foam failure to absorb as well on the skin, I find that interesting and will will commit it to memory. I have noticed that the aperture on said units were quite large as compared to a stream nozzle.
    No problem brother, I didn’t take it that way. I knew what you were doing and was just reaffirming what you said.
    Everything you said I can relate with and attest to my own experiences 100%.

You know what you are talking about, and that’s obvious to me.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I carry it when I run on the trails with my club. The women laugh at me since I'm a 6'4" #215 blackbelt.

I laugh with them and carry anyway. :)
    Rockymonster likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtimm View Post
    I carry it when I run on the trails with my club. The women laugh at me since I'm a 6'4" #215 blackbelt.

I laugh with them and carry anyway. :)
    Let’em laugh.....YOU know better!
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

A GROUCHY German is a Sour Kraut....

I much prefer a Kimber pepper blaster to oc spray. In fact I plan on ordering one for my fanny pack. They cost $ 40 and have a 4 year shelf life, so that makes the cost $ 10 a year. Well worth it.

Just started carrying OC this week.

PM2 for scale.

It's quite small and was featured in last week's Knowledge Dump by Greg Ellifritz.

Rides in my back right pocket next to my wallet.

Rockymonster likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I do not like OC spray, due to problems with wind blowing the spray back onto me. I recently ordered a Kimber Pepper blaster to carry in my Gunny Sack, so I have a non-lethal alternative. It is much cheaper than a Taser and works well, based on my research.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Life Member NRA, GOA & LEAA.
    " Be sure you're right, then go ahead " - Davy Crockett.

Sadly, I'm strongly considering it. I used to feel comfortable going hands on. But after a stroke a couple of years ago, I've lost a great deal of strength and speed. Going to start going back to the gym and see if I can get some strength back. But as of right now, I couldn't fight off an aggressive chipmunk.

delete.. I already responded to this thread :)
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I have a few cans but they are primarily used for walking my dog. Dogs tend to flee when they get doused. I’ve been in situations in which OC spray has gotten someone into a lot of trouble. My buddy doused a would-be assailant and the attacker just tackled my friend. They were both covered in spray at that point and we had to grab my buddy and cook. Pain is a horrible means of enforcing compliance. I think you’re much better off carrying a gun or learning something like BJJ or Muay Thai. Both of those arts create subdued opposition but without having to rely on a pain index. Likewise, I’ve sprayed a meth head and it did nothing to him as he continued to pursue me.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I still carry the pepper spray, it works well as a distraction before you take their knees out.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

OC spray can be a double edged sword. If the wind is blowing in your direction, you can receive an unwanted dose. I have an outdoor job and deal with dogs, a lot. Yes, I've stopped vicious dogs, but I've also also been very affected, having it blow back on me.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Despite the risk of blowback, I do carry pepper spray because I like to have an unfair option if they're not obviously armed and refuse to accept verbal de-escalation, as something to preemptively use (ideally before it gets to the point of hands on) on someone attempting to physically intimidate into submission.

Or to spice up the salsa!

I prefer Asp Key Defender when I'm wearing jeans or gym shorts (offhand IWB), it's stand-alone with a belt clip taken off a small flashlight. When wearing my cargo pants I usually have a Sabre Red in the offhand cargo pocket.

Born in L.A - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt home base
    I carry pepper routinely. Bug cans, not piddley ones. Can't shoot everyone that gets in your face and gives you a shove. As soon as you pull the trigger you are in for a life full of problems. Gas is a good first start with less than lethal self-defense. But as was noted, we don't have room to carry it all. That is why I like winter, more pockets.

When I'm in NYC and L.A. can't carry guns or batons. In NYC not even a tactical folder. You had better have other options unless you want to go illegal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links