A big honkin' blade - Page 3

A big honkin' blade

This is a discussion on A big honkin' blade within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzQkr Tiger maple, spalted maple handle PA? I have no idea. He probably got the wood off our friend who builds bench ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: A big honkin' blade

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Tiger maple, spalted maple handle PA?

I have no idea. He probably got the wood off our friend who builds bench rest rifles and muzzleloaders. And cannons, lol. Hard to say what he had laying around, but it came out pretty nice, didn't it? The blade was an old pitted RR spike I gave him.
    AzQkr likes this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I have no idea. He probably got the wood off our friend who builds bench rest rifles and muzzleloaders. And cannons, lol. Hard to say what he had laying around, but it came out pretty nice, didn't it? The blade was an old pitted RR spike I gave him.
    Could also be curly maple. Very nice grain pattern. If you ever find out, report back for us?
    PAcanis and OD* like this.

Will do.
    AzQkr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Crocodile Dundee would approve.
    PAcanis, msgt/ret and OD* like this.

I put the Condor through some exercises today.
    It will whack 1" limbs off a crab-apple tree no problem. It will split 3" dry wood without using a baton. It will fashion a pointy stick from some 1-1/2" dry hardwood using chopping motions, then carving. And it will chop down an 1-1/2" poplar with four well placed whacks around the trunk. It will also make feather sticks, something I don't do that often so am no pro. I found it easier to push the knife's belly into the stick rather than using the section right below the handle.
    And no rolls, burrs or chips. For as easy as it re-profiled and sharpened to 17* per side I was surprised it still kept its shaving sharp edge.

So overall a very nice knife for the price. And easier to handle than a kukri. I was hitting right where I wanted to. No errant chops.
    msgt/ret, MMinSC, OD* and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Could also be curly maple. Very nice grain pattern. If you ever find out, report back for us?

Yep. Just curly maple.
    He said he stained it, but couldn't remember what he used.
    AzQkr and OD* like this.

is this a butcher knife ? because its size and look seems like a butcher knife!
    PAcanis likes this.

It's a "camp knife". Built for everyday tasks. Including (like I said in my first post), clearing trails of light brush, skinning... whatever men of the fur trade era would use/need a big knife for. Preparing wood...
    It's on the thick side for butchering or preparing meats. They probably used a French trade knife or actual butcher knife with the up-swept blade for that. Those blades were much thinner.
    OD* likes this.

Nice knife. Here's another big one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A big honkin' blade-img_2224_zpse3iemvrx.jpg  

msgt/ret, OldVet and OD* like this.

If you have fb, enjoy.
    I know this young man btw. Makes excellent blades.

https://www.facebook.com/1415229650/...585733?sfns=mo
    OD* likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Reminds me of my BK2 knife. At a pound, and 1/4 inch thick, I didn't think I'd like it until it found its home as a working camp knife. Big knives do have a place in a camp, and yours looks like it will find its place shortly. Good work on the sheath - some people have the talent - I respect that.
    OD* and OldChap like this.

Nice blade, and even better work on that sheath. The whole package turned out pretty well.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

I've been amazed watching the prices on these old vintage 1960's Western Bowie knives. A few years ago you could get one for $110...now they are pulling in $250 or more on e-bay.

A big honkin' blade-19791483_1.jpg

I love big honkin' knives. I just finished stocking our hurricane tubs and I topped one tub off with a couple of Ka-Bars:

BK-22 Survival
    Name:  Kbar BK-22.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  20.1 KB

Kukri
    Name:  Kbar Jukri.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  20.5 KB
    OD* and MMinSC like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

I did leather work professionally for about 25 years, and I, too, hated to do hand stitching.
    I was lucky to have a partner with unlimited patience, so I let him do all of the hand stitching and fancy lacing.
    I designed, cut leather, and ran the sewing machine.

I made a knife much like yours, but it is a little lighter, and I made buffalo-horn grip panels for it.
    I made the sheath too, of course, and for that one I did do the lacing. But it was really simple, straight lace-work.
    You can just barely see it peeking out from behind the flap of my possibles bag.

A big honkin' blade-img_2851.jpg

The bottom rifle is an original. I got it from Robert Abels, about 65 years ago.
    I built the top one, about 35 years ago.
    MMinSC, airslot, gabbyh75 and 3 others like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    I did leather work professionally for about 25 years, and I, too, hated to do hand stitching.
    I was lucky to have a partner with unlimited patience, so I let him do all of the hand stitching and fancy lacing.
    I designed, cut leather, and ran the sewing machine.

I made a knife much like yours, but it is a little lighter, and I made buffalo-horn grip panels for it.
    I made the sheath too, of course, and for that one I did do the lacing. But it was really simple, straight lace-work.
    You can just barely see it peeking out from behind the flap of my possibles bag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2851.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	302642

The bottom rifle is an original. I got it from Robert Abels, about 65 years ago.
    I built the top one, about 35 years ago.
    Not much matches the grace, beauty and functionality of the American long rifle. Congratulations to another talented American craftsman.
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links