Anybody carrying a boot knife?

This is a discussion on Anybody carrying a boot knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a boot knife that will strap either to the outside of a duty boot, or be comfortable enough with sheath to ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Anybody carrying a boot knife?

I am looking for a boot knife that will strap either to the outside of a duty boot, or be comfortable enough with sheath to be inside a duty boot. I am looking for a good quality knife, not something cheap.

Anyone have any suggestions based on experience?
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

I have a couple of boot knives-never carried them in a boot. S&W HRT rides upside down in my Andrews leather triple mag carrier shoulder holster & my other “letter opener” is always slipped in my truck’s driver side front windshield column.
    The HRT is inexpensive but not cheap-I would call it a good value in a boot knife that’s perfect for self defense.
    G26Raven likes this.

When I was aircrew on helicopters myself and quite a few others carried the Gerber Guardian or the next sized bigger Gerber (can't remember which model) they are great boot knives! They were made in USA at that time and sold at the PX at Ft. Bragg. Can't remember what happened to mine, it held up well to corrosion in a salt/jungle environment of Latin America however the clip on the sheath got pretty rusty.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I do on occasion.
    Usually either my 1980's vintage Western boot knife or the Gerber Guardian by R. W. Loveless, of the same vintage, although I do have a couple of folders that have filled the role a time or two.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com...-knife-c-1980s

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com...h-knife-c-1984
    G26Raven likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member
    ok, maybe I am too critical, but I equate boot knives with ankle holsters. They are not easy to get to when you are on your feet. What Am I missing? Seriously, tell me.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer
    Member:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    PA Firearms Owners Association
    PA Firearms Owners Against Crime

My code: Survival is not negotiable.

VIP Member
    I don't wear boots, so...
    Rockymonster likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    When I was aircrew on helicopters myself and quite a few others carried the Gerber Guardian or the next sized bigger Gerber (can't remember which model) they are great boot knives! They were made in USA at that time and sold at the PX at Ft. Bragg. Can't remember what happened to mine, it held up well to corrosion in a salt/jungle environment of Latin America however the clip on the sheath got pretty rusty.
    I too carried the Gerber Guardian while flying C-5s, nice strong lightweight knife.

Anybody carrying a boot knife?-gerber01.jpg Anybody carrying a boot knife?-gerber02.jpg
    Last edited by msgt/ret; March 21st, 2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added pics
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

A friend's older brother, who was a navigator on a B52 out of Ellsworth, gave me my Guardian as a graduation present. Will soon be 37 years. Guess it has served me well.
    Democracy:
    Freedom:

I have carried the older version of the safe maker by cold steel in a boot for over a decade. It stays put and secure.

It's the only knife I carry that I hope to never use, so why not that type? If I need it, I will really need it.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Okay, 5Lima30ret, TSKnight, msgt/ret, and viney266, how do you wear these knives? Strapped to the outside of your boot, inside the boot, or????
    5lima30ret likes this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Sponsor
    A boot knife is a last option when all else had failed, you've been stripped of other tools to defend yourself with and there's nothing left. Just a last layer of potential defense.
    Snub44, G26Raven, Pete63 and 6 others like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Okay, 5Lima30ret, TSKnight, msgt/ret, and viney266, how do you wear these knives? Strapped to the outside of your boot, inside the boot, or????
    I carried mine with the clip inside the lace up flight boot and the knife on the outside. I did have to flatten the bottom of the clip slightly to prevent it from digging into my leg.
    G26Raven, Pete63, airslot and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    In the early 70s, I carried the Gerber Guardian I on the inside of my calf, slotting the cowboy boot and clipping the sheath in low enough that about 2" of handle showed above the boot top. Comfortable and easily accessed.
    AzQkr, G26Raven, Pete63 and 2 others like this.

I have written about this knife before. This is my standard carry but offen I have carried it a boot knife, carried on the inside of the calf.

One knife you might want to take a look at is the Cold Steel Koban. It is a flat 5 ˝ inch blade very light boot knife that you can get for under $40. The blade is super sharp keeps an edge. I have always carried it on my duty belt. I carry it with the sheath tucked into my pants in a reverse carry and clipped to the inter-belt liner on my off-side. It tucks in between my collapsible baton and my radio. This is my get off-of-me knife. No one ever notices it. This setup is hard to beat.

I have a leather strap added inside the shaft of my right boot. It is low enough that I can lift my pant leg and the handle is not visible except from directly above. Very little movement and secure even if moving quickly. Most of the time I carry the Western that way.
    The Guardian works better carried sideways at the belt line. In fact I sometimes position it behind my belt buckle. It tends to flop around in the boot. After a long day, the inside of my leg gets sore. The Western doesn't flop, so it is more comfortable.

I have a Boker lever knife that works well as a boot knife. It fits perfectly behind the strap and appears more utilitarian than the Western with it's double edged dagger profile.
    msgt/ret and G26Raven like this.
    Democracy:
    Freedom:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links