What are these for? - Page 3

What are these for?

This is a discussion on What are these for? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pete63 Protect your knuckles when fighting. If I'm not mistaken, they can be reversed to add to the wound channel if you ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: What are these for?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Protect your knuckles when fighting. If I'm not mistaken, they can be reversed to add to the wound channel if you plunge the knife to the hilt.
    LOL
    QKShooter likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Both. The first iterations had teeth notches cut in opposing directions, creating very small tooth bites from the pulled/rolled metal which was left sharp and minimally finished; later versions had the teeth notches cut in one pass to speed up production for mass quantities, and any metal that rolled from the cuts was ground smooth and finished with flat edges on both left/right of the spine.

Ontario still makes the mass produced version, in fact I've given several as gifts with laser etching for service dates, etc.

The original survival knives were all full tang. Then someone (don't know if it was Buck or another maker) came up with the much weaker hollow storage handle design that become popular with people who didn't really need to abuse a knife to survive. And then the grapple hook versions came out.

I'm sure you've seen grapple hook survival knives used all the time by your mountain rescue teammates, right? (LOL!)
    All the time,

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!
    graydude and Pete63 like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I'm late to the Party, but here's the info on the Buck 184 knife....and YES those are Grapples..
    https://buck-184.com/
    Excellent read. Thanks for the clarification. Although I do like Buck, and own a half dozen or so, when these came out, I steered clear of them because they looked too "tacticool" (that phrase hadn't even been coined yet!). Wish I'd payed attention more, as I understand originals are worth a good chunk of change.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

There is some real cutting humor on this forum. Sharp wit.
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Excellent read. Thanks for the clarification. Although I do like Buck, and own a half dozen or so, when these came out, I steered clear of them because they looked too "tacticool" (that phrase hadn't even been coined yet!). Wish I'd payed attention more, as I understand originals are worth a good chunk of change.
    If somebody ever gives me one I'll send it to you for the shipping cost.

BUCK lost it on that particular knife.
    Pete63 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I am/was familiar with that exact knife.
    The very early runs of sported goofed up heat treatment.
    They were somewhat vunerable at the tip & would not keep a decent edge for too very long.
    And they were heavy! Grappling hook boat anchor.

I believe any bugs we're eventually/amazingly worked out.
    Surprisingly the blades were nicely secured to the hollow handle. Rare for that genre of knife.

For what they sell for these days...there are much better options available that are top notch knives.

But, if you just want a piece of knife nostalgic history...go for it if you want one.

You can still find them around& it's not too difficult for me to imagine why.
    Pete63 likes this.

Administrator
    Believe it or not - the SCHRADE SCHF1 one piece knife w/ a hollow handle tested really well.

I bought two and I torture tested one. Made in the land of Rice and Rickshaws.

For around 50 smacks on eBay it's one heckova knife.

I keep one in the vehicle trunk with some stormproof matches in the handle.
    AzQkr and Pete63 like this.

It sure does look like a grapple.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links