Dagger - Can Anyone ID?

Dagger - Can Anyone ID?

This is a discussion on Dagger - Can Anyone ID? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another thread running about knives reminded me of a dagger I have that was one of my FSSF uncles, from the War. He originally said ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Risasi
  • 1 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Dagger - Can Anyone ID?

Dagger - Can Anyone ID?

Another thread running about knives reminded me of a dagger I have that was one of my FSSF uncles, from the War. He originally said he got it in Italy when he went through there. Unfortunately he's since passed on back in the mid 90's, so I really don't have anything else to go off of. I'm not sure who ground on the ricasso area, nor do I have any idea what the original handle looked like either. He claimed her got it off of a "dead German"...he didn't say though who made him dead.

I know it used to have a home made walnut handle on there that my dad put on it when he was a kid. Apparently he'd been throwing it into a tree and cracked the original. The blade is about 7 3/4" and 3/4" wide.

Not much in the way of distinguishing marks. The guard on the knife is marked with a '2448 C' and the sheath with a 'x480 C'

Dagger - Can Anyone ID?-dagger.png

My uncle trained in Montana. I know he was in or around Anzio in late '43 and mid '44, then later his group pushed north and he was joined up with some tank group as a commander. It was kind of hard to talk to him about those details though. They lost a lot of vehicles and men once they pushed north into Kraut held territory.
    ugh762x39, Pete63 and flh like this.

Lead Moderator
    Hope you find out. Could it possibly be Italian, the sheath and flat tang seem to rule out most of the US and British designs I've seen from the era?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

If it's German, and it may not be, it's late war. I just looks to "cheap" to be made early. Sometimes late war stuff gets flung together from parts laying around by folks that are not very good at it.

The sheath looks like one I have. The frog is completely different though. And my blade is marked very well. But I think mine is an aftermarket upgrade for officers since I can't track it down to a specific unit either.

Not seeing anything that matches here. But not one that matches mine either, though the black on silver dress bayonet is really close to mine.

German Bayonets used 1914-1945
    Risasi likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Interesting.

I would definitely get a bit of high quality leather conditioner on that sheath. It has not got a whole lot of life left to it in its present condition.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links