Wasp spray for SD - Page 2

Wasp spray for SD

This is a discussion on Wasp spray for SD within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cypher Regardless of the point he's trying to make oh, I think that guy's an idiot to let anybody spray any kind ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: Wasp spray for SD

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Regardless of the point he's trying to make oh, I think that guy's an idiot to let anybody spray any kind of chemicals in his eyes
    I agree, I like being able to see, even though my vision is far from perfect.

He's not the only one, though, there are others who have done this too. No way in heck I'd voluntarily risk my vision, but if others are foolish enough to give it a go and share the videos I'm willing to learn from it.

Based on a few anecdotal videos showing essentially no effect, the only way I'd use a can of wasp spray for defense is as a blunt metal object. As a defensive oriented community, IMO we should discourage the urban myth of wasp spray being an effective self defense option.
    Cypher, ETXhiker and OldChap like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Not all I need/want but it is hard to beat a fire extinguisher. Disorienting and you have club when it is empty
    graydude, ETXhiker and geo.ulrich like this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Personally, I think it's weird that people allow themselves to get sprayed with pepper spray, shot with Tasers or shot with a gun while wearing a kevlar vest. But I'm sort of glad someone has done it.
    LOL! Says the aviator who has most likely taken a few altitude chamber rides and experienced oxygen deprivation, among other fun things like SERE.

Over the years I've "enjoyed" training in the altitude chamber, as well as tear gas and pepper spray exposure, inhaled plenty of smoke canister garbage, rode the lightning, and done combatives with taser blades. Most of that was with the purpose of learning how to fight through it in order to escape and/or keep fighting. There are ways to minimize the effect of these things during and immediately after exposure, especially if not perfectly hit. I have a tremendous respect for LE and military who have taken their training to this level and beyond. Thank goodness I only got indoc training, some guys are pro's at it.

Those who voluntarily expose themselves for no reason? Yeah, they're nuts.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    LOL! Says the aviator who has most likely taken a few altitude chamber rides and experienced oxygen deprivation, among other fun things like SERE.

Over the years I've "enjoyed" training in the altitude chamber, as well as tear gas and pepper spray exposure, inhaled plenty of smoke canister garbage, rode the lightning, and done combatives with taser blades. Most of that was with the purpose of learning how to fight through it in order to escape and/or keep fighting. There are ways to minimize the effect of these things during and immediately after exposure, especially if not perfectly hit. I have a tremendous respect for LE and military who have taken their training to this level and beyond. Thank goodness I only got indoc training, some guys are pro's at it.

Those who voluntarily expose themselves for no reason? Yeah, they're nuts.
    Yes, I have been through SERE, where you learn how to get tortured, in Rangely, Maine, in winter. Good times! The altitude chamber, aka "the fart chamber" was actually fun. We learned dying from hypoxia is not painful at all. We also did Deep Water Survival, aka, "trolling for sharks."

The worst was Shipboard Firefighting School, where they used real fire. You went in with an EBD, but then had to take the EBD off and stay in the smoke until it looked like you were going to pass out. Of course, the Helo Dunker was good too. A simulated helo cabin, plunged into the pool and flipped upside down. Underwater, with very little light, you had to make it to an exit and get out, unless you started to drown, and then one of the divers pulled you out. Then you had to do it again. Fortunately, I made it out the first time.

We called exercises like that "practicing bleeding." Getting back to SD, though, if you have get sprayed with pepper spray in order to carry it, and you have to get tased in order to carry a Taser, why don't you have to get shot in order to carry a gun?
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Ex Member
    Wasp spray is ineffective for SD. Pepper spray makes a fog in the room you are in. The best answer is pepper gel. It shoots in a stream and does not make a fog. It sticks to soothing and skin so it is hard to het it off, it comes in both personal carry size and larger cans. Brief info here:

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-gel-vs-pepper-spray
    ETXhiker, M1911A1 and FlaRon like this.

Even Pepper Spray and mace is not really that good. As a instructor/trainer for OC (pepper Spray) I sprayed 100's of people with it. Virtually everyone was able to grapple, arrest, shoot a gun effectively after hit with the spray.

It MAY work to slow down attack and it MAY not.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

SERE school...

CS gas chambers...

Oh yeah, I remember them very well.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Wasp spray doesn't incapacitate wasps or yellow jackets enough that they can't sting you! (I know this from first hand experience .) I'm in the service caliber camp on this one OTOH, I recall a attempted carjacking case where the victim deployed his dry chemical fire extinguisher directly in the face of the carjacker. The carjacker was down for the count and had severe vision and respiratory problems that may have killed him without medical intervention. Just my .02 worth!
    ETXhiker, OldChap and M1911A1 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Well, wasp spray works in the movies. First you spray them, then you whack them with the golf club. Then you run away while they are still conscious, so that they can get up and chase you some more with the butcher knife.

In real life, you would do well to shoot the murderous psycho until he stops his aggression.
    5lima30ret, OldChap and M1911A1 like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Back in the early 1970's I was issued a canister of CS tear gas spray for duty use as a young cop. First time I tried to use it involved a very large man engaged in a wild fight in a bar parking lot. Gave him a good blast in the chest area (as trained), which thoroughly enraged him. Two of us had a crazy wild ride trying to subdue him. Also as trained, I applied my 30" baton repeatedly to his shins, knees, elbows, wrists, and finally went to work on his head. Guy required over 70 sutures and overnight observation in a hospital before he could be booked into jail.

Charged with disorderly conduct, misdemeanor assault (bar patrons and staff), resisting arrest, and assault on a peace officer (felony). I spent 3 years trooping back and forth from depositions and court hearings on his lawsuit alleging excessive force, assault & battery, etc. Finally, a jury ruled against him on his lawsuit. Jury members later told me that they thought I had tried every reasonable means available before using force that caused injury to restrain and subdue the guy.

What I learned was that chemical sprays will sometimes do nothing more than escalate a bad situation.

Years later the more modern OC spray was introduced. Our training included being sprayed with the stuff to familiarize us with its effects. Two guys (out of about 25 in the class) required medical attention, and one older guy suffered a heart attack on the spot.

Personally, I am not going to rely on wasp spray for personal defense.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Wasp spray is not for personal self defense. Never has been. Stupid idea.
    5lima30ret, M1911A1 and FlaRon like this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    It only works on White Anglo Saxon Protestants.
    I though everyone knew that!

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    A local PD Detective told me that using insect repellent spray on someone is illegal, even in self defense. He specifically mentioned wasp spray.
    I'm not sure if that's mentioned anywhere in the Texas Penal Code but FWIW thought I'd add that to this thread.
    OldChap and hogdaddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    A local PD Detective told me that using insect repellent spray on someone is illegal, even in self defense. He specifically mentioned wasp spray.
    I'm not sure if that's mentioned anywhere in the Texas Penal Code but FWIW thought I'd add that to this thread.
    Your cop says not to, my cop said to. Go figure. He is probably basing his unsubstantiated claim on the can warning label. The prisons are filled with people convicted of that charge.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Not a good idea. She just needs a can of Red Sabre. A lot more effective. (and legal)

As a correctional officer, I use OC spray on big bad murderers and rapists quite often, and it turns 97% of them into sniffling, bumbling, little cry babies.

The other 3% of them are immune to it, either because they've been sprayed so many times, or just because it doesn't effect them, for what ever reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wasp spray for SD-screenshot_20191104-124311_gallery_1572893662255.jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links