Wasp spray for SD - Page 3

Wasp spray for SD

This is a discussion on Wasp spray for SD within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everything that needs to be said has been said. I would add two things. There are reports that pepper balls are more effective than any ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Wasp spray for SD

Everything that needs to be said has been said. I would add two things.

There are reports that pepper balls are more effective than any of the spray type devices. Since there is no propellant embedded with the agent, the pepper ball has a more potent formula and when it hits it bursts causing particles to be inhaled.

But...watching my SWAT guys, we always had a designated non-lethal guy and a designated lethal guy who covered the actor when the non-lethal was deployed.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I believe in using whatever you have to to stop the threat. I saw an animal that had been sprayed with wasp spray and his eyes were blue after that. So I know it can blind somebody, maybe forever.
    I decided to test an old container of bear spray and I didn't take into account the fact that the wind had changed direction when it came around the back of the house. My wife was about five feet behind me when we walked out the back door so she got a bigger dose of it than I did because a gust of wind hit us in the face and I had aimed the spay out to the side. She had to sit down on the back steps and try to breath.
    That really scared me. She just told me to never spray anything when she is around and after seeing her trying to breath I will never do that again.
    For those of you who don't think that pepper spray or bear spray or wasp spray will stop somebody I have to tell you that it might not stop you for a second or two but it won't be long and you will be gasping for air and that is very disabling. More than likely the person doing the spraying will be gasping for air for a while too.

Senior Moderator
    I don't even trust defensive sprays made for the purpose and will not bother with them.

I'm sure not interested in going off on some tangent, seeking spray substances that don't have a thing to do with self-defense.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Even Pepper Spray and mace is not really that good. As a instructor/trainer for OC (pepper Spray) I sprayed 100's of people with it. Virtually everyone was able to grapple, arrest, shoot a gun effectively after hit with the spray.

It MAY work to slow down attack and it MAY not.
    I have always been taught that OC isn't a self defense weapon, I was taught that it's a pain compliance tool. As in "Follow my lawful commands or I will spray you."

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Getting back to SD, though, if you have get sprayed with pepper spray in order to carry it, and you have to get tased in order to carry a Taser, why don't you have to get shot in order to carry a gun?
    One of the reasons my employer required us to be sprayed is so we would know what the actual effects were. A lot of people think OC is THE HAMMER OF THOR and it's not. It's better you find that out in a training scenario than right after you spray some crackhead in the basement of the Municipal Parking Grage at 0200 and he wipes his face and says "Oh, please. Is that all you got?" (True story bro).

They also want you to learn how to fight after exposure because if you deploy it you're going to get some on you. Also OC isn't a controlled item. You can buy it at Walmart and a lot of tweakers carry it. If you have a run in with one of them some night and they spray you you have to fight because if you don't they're probably going to take your gun and if that happens you have to assume they're going to shoot you with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    The other 3% of them are immune to it, either because they've been sprayed so many times, or just because it doesn't effect them, for what ever reason.
    I had a boss that's been sprayed so many times he doesn't even notice it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    For those of you who don't think that pepper spray or bear spray or wasp spray will stop somebody I have to tell you that it might not stop you for a second or two but it won't be long and you will be gasping for air and that is very disabling. More than likely the person doing the spraying will be gasping for air for a while too.
    Bear spray is less powerful than OC because you're not trying to subdue the bear, you're just trying to irritate his breathing passages and make him run away.

The last time I was sprayed we were required to fight off the trainer who was hitting us with one of those big martial arts kicking pads. I was able to get it away from him and knock him down. Bear spray, wasp spray or actual OC Will. Not. Stop. a determined attacker
    Bad Bob, forester58 and M1911A1 like this.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Even Pepper Spray and mace is not really that good. As a instructor/trainer for OC (pepper Spray) I sprayed 100's of people with it. Virtually everyone was able to grapple, arrest, shoot a gun effectively after hit with the spray.

It MAY work to slow down attack and it MAY not.
    The only time I will use OC spray at work is to break up a fight that is not involving me.
    Bad Bob and forester58 like this.

You could always use an alcohol based spray and then a Tazer to catch them on fire?

another myth, but a funny one.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I believe in using whatever you have to to stop the threat. I saw an animal that had been sprayed with wasp spray and his eyes were blue after that. So I know it can blind somebody, maybe forever.
    I decided to test an old container of bear spray and I didn't take into account the fact that the wind had changed direction when it came around the back of the house. My wife was about five feet behind me when we walked out the back door so she got a bigger dose of it than I did because a gust of wind hit us in the face and I had aimed the spay out to the side. She had to sit down on the back steps and try to breath.
    That really scared me. She just told me to never spray anything when she is around and after seeing her trying to breath I will never do that again.
    I have been sprayed twice directly in the face from point blank and then was required to go through an obstacle course after. Out of 25 people sprayed only one could not do the course and had some difficulties breathing. That is about the effectiveness in general as only a very small percentage of people really have an extreme reaction. I once sprayed an inmate who responded as if I just sprayed water in his face so no I would not count on any spray to work 100% but, then again neither do bullets. The spray "generally" will disable someone enough to escape or defend yourself further but, it is not the stopper some feel it is.
    Bad Bob likes this.

VIP Member
    your neighbor is not the brightest bulb in the box. If it makes her feel self, let her have at it, but this is a no from me.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Cheap hairspray and a Zippo works.
    Havok, M1911A1 and Bad Bob like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

For years I've carried a can of carburetor cleaner in my truck - but only for cleaning any carburetors I come across. It burns the skin - lord knows what it will do to eyes.
    M1911A1 and Bad Bob like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I keep a good supply of wasp and hornet spray for defense against those little demons, now for the two legged demons I keep a good supply of loaded 1911s readily available.

https://preparednessadvice.com/self-...-self-defense/
    That seems like the best way to allocate weapons for the various threats. I also keep Off Deep Woods for my 100% guaranteed threat.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    No no no no no

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    I thought a can of Lysol and a Bic lighter work even better.
    I lit my bedroom curtains on fire trying that as a kid about 50 years ago!
    msgt/ret, M1911A1 and Bad Bob like this.
    "Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Brickkicker View Post
    I lit my bedroom curtains on fire trying that as a kid about 50 years ago!
    But did you get the spider?

Statistically, more people are scared of being burned alive in a fire than spiders.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Spiders are afraid of being burned alive in a fire?
    graydude and Nmuskier like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links