Wasp spray for SD

Wasp spray for SD

This is a discussion on Wasp spray for SD within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a neighbor, a lady with kids, who is convinced all she needs for SD, in her home, or out and about, is a ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Wasp spray for SD

Wasp spray for SD

I have a neighbor, a lady with kids, who is convinced all she needs for SD, in her home, or out and about, is a can of wasp spray. She says it is more effective than pepper spray and has a greater range. From what I can find online, I think there are some problems with this.
    • There are no studies (nor would I expect there to be) of the effectiveness of wasp spray for SD, whereas there is for pepper spray and of course, firearms are proven effective if you know how to use them.
    • If she doesn't get a full on hit to the eyes, I am not sure it is going to be as effective as she thinks it is. Whereas some SD sprays can be effective even without a direct hit the eyes because of the vapors.
    • Wasp spray is labelled as a poison and federal law prohibits its use for anything but wasps. Now, obviously in a pinch, you use what you've got to protect your life. But I think if she sprays someone with wasp spray and it comes out that she kept a can in her purse for SD, she might be open to some legal issues afterwards, certainly more so that pepper spray and maybe even more so that a firearm.
    • If you use any spray indoors, you are going to get some of it also.
    • She is worried about having a gun because of the kids. But while 73 children died from gun accidents in 2018, over 100 kids die a year from accidental pesticide poisoning. So I don't think she is necessarily keeping her family safer with the wasp spray.
    • Her intent after blinding the bad guy with wasp spray is to hit him over the head with some hard object at hand and hold him until police arrive. I see problems with this. I think trying to hold someone, even if you have gun, is problematic from a legal standpoint. You're allow to use force when he's s threat, but using force to keep him from leaving is problematic. And what is she going to do if he tries to leave? Spray him again or hit him again? If it some punk teenager, maybe. But if it is a career criminal determined to get away, I think it may not turn out like she plans.

I know a lot of people will have random opinions on this, but I am really interested if anyone here has solid knowledge of the use of wasp spray as a weapon and all the ramifications of this kind of a strategy.
    DZUS, ETXhiker and BamaT like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Moderator
    I've heard wasp spray touted for defensive use, but never read anything solid on the topic.

I'd save the spray for the wasps and get some .38 or .45 spray for potential assailants.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    There was some high-profile case in the news on an ongoing basis a few years ago. The female at the heart of the controversy had people "protecting her" and I recall her people sprayed some others (news reporters, I believe) they thought posed a threat with wasp spray. Barely slowed anyone down.

No idea where the idea began, but it doesn't strike me as effective defense against mammals.
    Last edited by gasmitty; November 4th, 2019 at 10:02 AM.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

It might work. I wouldnt bet my life on it. I wouldn't bet my life on pepper spray, and I wouldnt recommend either of them as a best option. When I hear people come up with stuff like this, to me that means the lives of her kids are not worth investing in both tools and training to properly protect them. How sad.
    ETXhiker and OldChap like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

There are YouTube videos showing how ineffective wasp spray is on people.

For example:
    Havok, QKShooter, Bad Bob and 6 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    It might work. I wouldnt bet my life on it. I wouldn't bet my life on pepper spray, and I wouldnt recommend either of them as a best option. When I hear people come up with stuff like this, to me that means the lives of her kids are not worth investing in both tools and training to properly protect them. How sad.
    Well, I'd take wasp spray, WD40 or a hurled air filter as a means for making space in a pinch.
    Havok, ETXhiker and GpTom like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

I would say about as effective as your handgun against wasps..

I thought a can of Lysol and a Bic lighter work even better.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    There are YouTube videos showing how ineffective wasp spray is on people.

For example:
    Regardless of the point he's trying to make oh, I think that guy's an idiot to let anybody spray any kind of chemicals in his eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Regardless of the point he's trying to make oh, I think that guy's an idiot to let anybody spray any kind of chemicals in his eyes
    Yeah, I thought the same thing. I have read that some of those chemicals can cause permanent eye damage. But the silver lining in that cloud is someone was willing to do it and put that myth to rest. Personally, I think it's weird that people allow themselves to get sprayed with pepper spray, shot with Tasers or shot with a gun while wearing a kevlar vest. But I'm sort of glad someone has done it.
    Havok, Cypher, baren and 4 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Yeah, I thought the same thing. I have read that some of those chemicals can cause permanent eye damage. But the silver lining in that cloud is someone was willing to do it and put that myth to rest. Personally, I think it's weird that people allow themselves to get sprayed with pepper spray, shot with Tasers or shot with a gun while wearing a kevlar vest. But I'm sort of glad someone has done it.
    Darwin had a theory about this.
    baren, ETXhiker, Grizzly2 and 1 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I keep a good supply of wasp and hornet spray for defense against those little demons, now for the two legged demons I keep a good supply of loaded 1911s readily available.

https://preparednessadvice.com/self-...-self-defense/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Personally, I think it's weird that people allow themselves to get sprayed with pepper spray, shot with Tasers or shot with a gun while wearing a kevlar vest.
    I was required to be exposed to OC in order to be certified to carry it.
    ETXhiker, OldChap and BigJon10125 like this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Foam wasp spray might blind them temporarily. If one's assailant is determined to get to you, even pepper spray WILL NOT work. I saw a police training video that tested something like 80 different sprays and not one stopped the attacker with an objective. It will slow them down and give you a few extra seconds to react.

As for holding someone, even at gunpoint, depends on state and local laws. Here in Missouri, yes, I can hold someone at gunpoint. If they run, I can not shoot them. If they come after me, I can shoot them.
    ETXhiker and duane_wade like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Administrator
    Just a reminder that there are ways for adults/parents with children in the home to store a firearm in the home safely and still have it be quickly available should it ever be needed.

"PEPPER SPRAY" serves a useful purpose for some scenarios. I can envision a few more than a few.

I would recommend DPS BLACK LABEL which is a combination of O.C. and C.S. and it's quite effective.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links