If you carry a folding knife for self defense, what type of blade do you prefer?

If you carry a folding knife for self defense, what type of blade do you prefer?

This is a discussion on If you carry a folding knife for self defense, what type of blade do you prefer? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like knives and have owned quite a few different ones over the years, although I must admit to not knowing a great deal about ...

View Poll Results: What type of blade do you prefer on a folding knife for self-defense?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clip point

4 8.51%
  • Dagger

1 2.13%
  • Drop point/Harpoon

8 17.02%
  • Hawksbill

0 0%
  • Karambit/Talon

0 0%
  • Leaf Blade (Spyderco is example)

3 6.38%
  • Sheepsfoot/Wharncliffe

3 6.38%
  • Spear Point

2 4.26%
  • Standard

7 14.89%
  • Tanto

5 10.64%
  • Trailing edge

1 2.13%
  • Other

3 6.38%
  • I don't carry a knife for self-defense

10 21.28%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: If you carry a folding knife for self defense, what type of blade do you prefer?

I like knives and have owned quite a few different ones over the years, although I must admit to not knowing a great deal about them - but I am learning. I've taken a couple of self-defense knife training courses, but I don't profess any special expertise. I carry a fixed blade knife most days, but I am in the market for a folder for those days when I cannot carry the fixed blade of my choice.

I am getting ready to buy a folder for self defense/EDC, but am curious as to what type of blade design you folks prefer? I've put together a poll to try to determine what is most popular. If you have a particular knife that you think is great, I'm all ears. I personally plan to buy a non-spring assisted flipper, 3.5+/- in length.

I am not interested in getting into arguments regarding the "correct" name for a specific manufacturer's blade as it's apparent that not everyone uses the exact same terminology. The categories I have selected should be sufficient for discussion here.
    forester58 likes this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

I carry a Spyderco Endura 4, whatever that means to ya, and like it well enough. It has the standard blade and is 3.5" long - needs sharpening every month or so with moderate use. Not sure if it's worth the $100+ it costs, but then again I'm no knife expert. 2 biggest things I like is having a thin profile & has held up very well to all the abouse I put it through
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.

Well, I carry a fixed blade for defense (Ka Bar TDI) with a fully serrated edge because they cut things like seatbelts better and they leave a really nasty wound. My folder is an every day work knife so its either a Kershaw Skyline or a Syderco Endura 4. The Kershaw is a flat ground which makes for super slicing and the Syderco is a hollow ground blade for strength as I often need to pry staples out of logs at work.
    G26Raven likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    Wharncliffe for me. But not much for defense, more for day to day practical use.

I carry a powder burner for defense possibilities.

G-man*, G26Raven, MMinSC and 4 others like this.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

I carry a knife in the form of a Leatherman Skeletool, but not for self defense.
    G26Raven likes this.

VIP Member
    A BIG one!
    G26Raven and Bad Bob like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Wharncliffe for me. But not much for defense, more for day to day practical use.

I carry a powder burner for defense possibilities.

I'm with him. Wharncliffe is my favorite blade profile. For fighting, it has been suggested by some trainers like Michael Janich, which is why Spyderco made the Ronin and Yojimbo knives. I like the straight blade profile. When applying pressure with the point, all of the force is applied there unlike with a knife with belly to it.

As a working or everyday knife, I think they are great cutters and very precise. If I could, I would own a bunch seax knives as well, which was the precurser to the Wharnecliffe profile. If you look at many of the Japanese chef knife styles, many of them are basically Wharnies or Seax shapes. They are fast and precise. My most used gyuto is basically just an 11 inch Wharnie blade. The bunka is mostly just a seax.

The lambsfoot that was included in the poll, I like less. It is a very good utility shape though.

So folders I like, Spyderco Yojimbo, Delica-W, Emerson makes a Seax- only one of those I can think of. Not even that many fixed blade choices.

Hard to decide though. I use knives. A lot. Make them on and off too. Comfortable with most everything but seen enough to know what works for me. So many I like though.
    G26Raven, DHart and Rooster like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Fox Karambit folder in left front pocket.
    The little camo folder in watch or on right cargo pocket. It's the "working blade" for day to day use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    G26Raven likes this.

I have an EDC knife, spring assist with a nice sharp tanto blade, seatbelt cutter(tested it) .
    Could be used for SD, but not it’s primary purpose.
    G26Raven likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I don't have any allusions about knife fighting but do carry a folder when I "gear up". Lately I've been leaning to my CRKT M21 or the Ontario Rat II. Both blades described as "deep bellied" so more of a drop point. I do keep a cheapo Buck folder in the car console; a surprisingly sharp clip point blade.

I have been carrying a Spyderco Police with combination blade for about thirty years now. I don't have any illusions of using it for self-defense unless all other options are gone.

If you carry a folding knife for self defense, what type of blade do you prefer?-spyderco-police.png
    FAS1 and surefire7 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I normally carry a very small gentlemen knife which I use for 99% of everything I need a knife for. I also carry a spring assisted locking folder which can be use for self defense. I am no knife expert but I prefer a SD knife blade to be something other than a sheeps foot.

people have been using knives ( big and small) for self defense for thousands of years. I am not sure why there seems to be some sort of tabooish tone regarding this subject. It goes without saying that "fighting" is an action of last resort no matter you are armed or not. The bottom line is that bad people often do bad things to good people. I think this sort of thread merely explores a realistic consideration regarding "other" weapons. Even a knife in the hands the unskilled is still a rather effective force multiplier in most circumstances.

I carry a AL Mar Osprey and a SOG flashII
    Old Man and G-man* like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    For years I carried a thumb-stud Gerber with 3.25" blade, half-serrated. That served me very well for work-related chores, allowing one-hand opening and closing, very convenient.

Couple of years ago I noticed that my state (Colorado) had lifted the decades-long restrictions on automatic knives. Caught a good deal on a Boker automatic, 3.5" drop point blade, no lock but a deeply recessed button that allows safe pocket carry, good pocket clip for security. After receiving the new knife I spent a half-hour carefully honing the blade and it now holds a near-shaving edge for extended periods.

I have pondered about this purchase; was I just wanting to fulfill a want that had been denied to me by law for many years, or is this something I really needed? No clear answer, but I do like the new Boker. Fine quality product at a reasonable price.
    G26Raven, surefire7 and Old Man like this.

I have enough trouble keeping track of gun laws without trying to keep track of knife laws too. Not to mention I don't want to take a chance that unknowingly violating a knife law (local ordinances too) while carrying a gun might result in adding something like a "while in possession of a firearm" additional charge. While I rarely travel to other States carrying a knife just adds to the possibility of getting jammed up if/when I did.

So even though I started daily carrying a pocket knife at a very early age on the farm I stopped carrying a knife when I started carrying a gun. Perhaps I am over thinking it but I suspect it would depend on the knife laws of the State and the prosecutor.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

What kind of blade? A sharp one. ;)

For a defensive folder, something with a very secure blade lock is high on my list. I like the CRKT autolock system, for example.

I also prefer no serrations on a fighting blade, as a smooth edge is less likely to hang up on clothes or straps and cause the grip to slip out of a possibly wet hand. Ideally the blade should be good for both slashing and stabbing; not a big fan of tanto blades, and prefer a simple straight taper to a narrow point.
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links