Knife laws suck almost as bad as gun laws - Page 2

Knife laws suck almost as bad as gun laws

This is a discussion on Knife laws suck almost as bad as gun laws within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I worked in the oil patch as a diver, many years ago, every diver carried at least two knives, one for topside use and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Knife laws suck almost as bad as gun laws

When I worked in the oil patch as a diver, many years ago, every diver carried at least two knives, one for topside use and one for underwater. I used my topside knife daily for cutting fiber and synthetic rope to be used for rigging, making splices, etc. Underwater, I used my knife not as much, but it was an important tool to have along, particularly if you got entangled in monofilament, etc. It's my understanding that today, it's virtually impossible to carry a knife offshore.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    In FL knives and most other weapons are covered by you CCW, however preemption only covers guns so there is a patchwork of local laws that could get you into trouble.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

VIP Member
    When you come down to Texas you can bring your sword.
    You can carry a sword legally. Wish our gun laws were as lax

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    When you come down to Texas you can bring your sword.
    You can carry a sword legally. Wish our gun laws were as lax
    I don't own a sword, or a cloak for that matter...
    Mike Tyson

If you can prove it's work related or for hunting or fishing while in possession of a valid license......yup, we got it all here in Jerzy, including corrupt lawyers and judges....omo.
    G26Raven and airslot like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar

Dont worry Raven you only need a cloak for that one weekend when it gets chilly at night.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

San Antonio has historically been bad with knife laws. They did make improvements in 2017. Still, some of the worse I have seen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post

Dont worry Raven you only need a cloak for that one weekend when it gets chilly at night.
    That's hysterical!
    On the day it became legal I think it was back in 2017 I took my Claymore off the wall, sheathed it and went for a walk down one of our walking trails here.
    Got a lot of funny looks and some folks clapping.
    Not sure if it was the sword or the Kilts.
    G26Raven, airslot and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    On the day it became legal I think it was back in 2017 I took my Claymore off the wall, sheathed it and went for a walk down one of our walking trails here.
    Got a lot of funny looks and some folks clapping.
    Not sure if it was the sword or the Kilts.
    Guess it depends on how good your legs are....
    KILTED COWBOY and airslot like this.
    Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    San Antonio has historically been bad with knife laws. They did make improvements in 2017. Still, some of the wors I have seen.
    All of the city/county knife laws were made invalid by the state. State law superceded anything the cities had on the books.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    I took a trip from Colorado through New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, then home in Colorado. Before going I spent some time on Google researching knife laws for these states and the restrictions are all over the map! Blade lengths, automatics, fixed blade vs. folding, locking blade folders, etc, lots of differences when the various city ordinances are considered.

Here in Colorado my Boker Magnum 3.5" automatic is just fine in my pocket, but in other places it could put me in a legal bind. My old standby Gerber thumb-stud 3.25" lock-blade is also prohibited for carry in some places. Rummaged around a drawer and found my 40-year old Buck Squire 3" lock-blade, a very slim pocket knife that was probably the least offensive to any of the laws I researched (but still highly questionable in some areas). I also have a great little 3" drop point fixed blade skinner that rides nicely in a belt scabbard, but in many areas that would be considered a dangerous or deadly weapon. Any or all of these would raise no questions here at home, but each would trigger potential legal troubles elsewhere.

With my Colorado concealed handgun permit and retired LE endorsement I expect little difficulty with a handgun just about anywhere, but the knife issue is a completely separate concern. Why take unnecessary chances? I don't take a bail bondsman and defense lawyer along on my travels, so I do my best to observe all local restrictions to stay out of trouble.
    G26Raven, Bikenut and Instymp like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    My old M7 bayonet might be a tad over some places length. Need to adapt it to a walking staff just for fun.
    I have an M-7 I carry on occasion also.
    G26Raven likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I'm sure my Kabars and the Apache Falcon in the prior post would cause a lot of issues.
    G26Raven and Pete63 like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

If i could I would carry a big full tang knife most of the time, something like a k-Bar, Esee 6, or Buck 119 ect. Good for self defense or any other task.
    G26Raven and Pete63 like this.

Knife laws like gun laws are often old , racist and weird ..Many many state leave it up to local county to say ..Meaning you cross lines you are breaking some weird laws ..Other like NY state it is just up to a cop saying well that looks bad and dangerous your under arrest ... Lot of time knife laws make no sense esp for stuff other then say a basic buck knife ie what make a knife a gravity or auto knife is spring assitent a auto knife ( even though they are not ) ..Heck the federal auto knife laws are trully weird and from the 50s mostly...

Really AZ and TX method is the best ..Ie everything is legal unless it is use for unlawfully use ie brandishing it illegal etc ....
    Pete63, G26Raven and airslot like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links