Knife laws suck almost as bad as gun laws

This is a discussion on Knife laws suck almost as bad as gun laws within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am on the cusp of buying a folder for EDC/self defense purposes. I've checked the laws in a variety of states including Utah, California, ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Knife laws suck almost as bad as gun laws

I am on the cusp of buying a folder for EDC/self defense purposes. I've checked the laws in a variety of states including Utah, California, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas. Just as in CCW permits, there is no consistency from state to state as to what is legal. Some states have virtually no restrictions, while others are very restrictive.

Does this suck or what?
    Struckat, flh, 5lima30ret and 2 others like this.
    You are your own first responder.

flh

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

The best part? Just because there are state laws doesn't mean there aren't extra ordinances at the county or city level. And yes, it stinks....
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Be sure to check various City ordinances as well. AL is pretty lenient on knives...but there are few cities that have unusual restrictions.
    G26Raven and airslot like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Be sure to check various City ordinances as well. AL is pretty lenient on knives...but there are few cities that have unusual restrictions.
    Yes, I have figured that out. I travel through (or to) Vegas a couple of times a year and they have a restriction of 3 inches on a knife blade that differs from the rest of the state.
    airslot and 5lima30ret like this.

One thing that was emphasized in the SD law classes I took. What a law says is only half the story. The other half is how the law is being enforced, from the police through to the courts. In that respect, I think knife laws can be more insidious than gun laws.

I was on a project in NJ and of course I could not have a gun, so I researched their knife laws. Outside of a few classes of prohibited knives (gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto) you can, by the book, carry just about any knife. BUT, there is some vague wording about deadly weapons. If you are carrying a knife intending it to be a deadly weapon, even if your purpose is self-defense, you may be in trouble. Also, localities can have their own restrictions.

Generally, they have held that manual folders can be used in justifiable self-defense against a threat of deadly force. But if you have something more substantial than that, like a real fighting knife, you could be in trouble depending on the jurisdiction. A lot of discretion is given to LE and prosecutors about the intent. And truth be told, if you are carrying a knife for SD, wouldn't you intend it to be a deadly weapon? So it is kind of a Catch-22.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

jmf552, I hear you. Utah is ambiguous enough by itself....

Utah law prohibits the carrying of a “concealed dangerous weapon.”

(1) Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2), (3), and (4), a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-10-501, including an unloaded firearm on his or her person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in or on a place other than the person’s residence, property, a vehicle in the person’s lawful possession, or a vehicle, with the possession of the vehicle, or business under the person’s control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor. § 76-10-504(1)

“Concealed dangerous weapon” is a statutorily defined term.

(3)(a) ‘Concealed dangerous weapon’ means a dangerous weapon that is: (i) covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence; and ii) readily accessible for immediate use. § 76-10-501(3)(a)

There is also a definition for “dangerous weapon.”

(6)(a) ‘Dangerous weapon’ means an item that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury. ( b) The following factors shall be used in determining whether a knife, or another item, object, or thing not commonly known as a dangerous weapon is a dangerous weapon: ( i) the character of the instrument, object, or thing; ( ii) the character of the wound produced, if any; ( iii) the manner in which the instrument, object, or thing was used; and (iv) the other lawful purposes for which the instrument, object, or thing may be used. § 76-10-501(6)(a) and (b)
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.

Just give 'em something to really get their panties in a twist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knife laws suck almost as bad as gun laws-img_0564.jpg  

MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

What is legal for me to carry in Oregon is a felony across the river in Washington.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

It's not the length of the blade in the fight, it's the amount of fight in the blade.

No wonder you can't hardly find a commercial fisherman carrying a pocket knife in Washington state. A fisherman without a knife seems as strange as a carpenter without a hammer.
    airslot and G26Raven like this.

My old M7 bayonet might be a tad over some places length. Need to adapt it to a walking staff just for fun.
    airslot, G26Raven and Pete63 like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Let's face it, in many respects, we have come full circle right back to the Middle Ages. Yay.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

What is interesting is that usually knife laws don't address hatchets or tomahawks which in most places are considered "tools". Just some food for thought...
    airslot and G26Raven like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Here is ours:

Wyoming’s knife laws are very close to matching a “Constitutional Carry” concept, though they are not quite as permissive as that idea. It is legal to own any knife or bladed implement in Wyoming, with no exceptions. It is also legal for residents to open carry or concealed carry any deadly weapon provided that they meet the qualifications for a concealed weapon license. Note that it is not necessary to possess such a license, but merely to qualify fully for one and be a resident of the state.

Visitors to the state are allowed to own or open carry any knife, but must have a concealed weapons permit with Wyoming reciprocity in order to carry any knife concealed.

Wyoming’s state constitution makes preemption a non-issue. The law functions as an effective preemption, overriding all local ordinances on the matter.

I can conceal carry a sword here,no permit required..love this state.
    5lima30ret, airslot and G26Raven like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links