Best survival knife all purpose IYO? - Page 2

Best survival knife all purpose IYO?

This is a discussion on Best survival knife all purpose IYO? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chooie The main problem with a knife of that design is that the compartment in the handle negates any of the strength ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Best survival knife all purpose IYO?

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    The main problem with a knife of that design is that the compartment in the handle negates any of the strength that would be had from a full tang. A survival knife needs to be three things - strong, sharp, and with you when you need it. I would advise you carry your navigation and firestarting tools in their own pouch, case, or pocket, and don't compromise on the knife. I myself use a small compass that slips over my watch band - there are many ways to carry what you need but still have the best tool for the job. I have chosen a CRKT Ultima. It is full tang, with a good grip, decent steel and sheath, and was cheap (about $40 on e-Bay).
    You and CopperKnight are both right in my opinion. The knife that Ramrod is looking at isn't built for real survival, it wouldn't last long. This is what I carry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best survival knife all purpose IYO?-my-knife.jpg  

Administrator
    Well, the original thread question is asking for the best "all purpose" knife.

I think that it IS possible to find a nicely constructed large format knife that will handle/accomplish machete and camp ax chopping and brush clearing chores decently well.

As is usually the case some compromise is to be expected.

Given a choice of only having either a high quality large blade or a high quality smaller knife...I personally will alway opt for the larger knife.
    Minus having an Ax or Machete there are tasks that can be accomplished with a larger knife that just cannot be easily accomplished with a smaller blade - without much expended extra time and energy - both which may be in short supply.

Whereas "small knife delicate tasks" can be accomplished with a larger knife with only a slight increase of the PITA factor of having to choke up on the blade.

Ideally one would carry a larger knife plus a small multi-purpose utility & a hand Ax and a machete.

If I was in a situation where I had to be "out in it" with only one cutting implement available - I would opt for the large high quality knife of about a 14" overall length.

And yes, I do trek out alone into the deep woods (or at least I did up until two years ago) and so I am not talking out of my poop-chute.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The one I relied on in Iraq is the Cold Steel SRK, along with a leatherman Wave, and a VSAK Huntsman. All three worked, never failed. Thats good enough in my book!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, the original thread question is asking for the best "all purpose" knife.

I think that it IS possible to find a nicely constructed large format knife that will handle/accomplish machete and camp ax chopping and brush clearing chores decently well.

As is usually the case some compromise is to be expected.

Given a choice of only having either a high quality large blade or a high quality smaller knife...I personally will alway opt for the larger knife.
    Minus having an Ax or Machete there are tasks that can be accomplished with a larger knife that just cannot be easily accomplished with a smaller blade - without much expended extra time and energy - both which may be in short supply.

Whereas "small knife delicate tasks" can be accomplished with a larger knife with only a slight increase of the PITA factor of having to choke up on the blade.

Ideally one would carry a larger knife plus a small multi-purpose utility & a hand Ax and a machete.

If I was in a situation where I had to be "out in it" with only one cutting implement available - I would opt for the large high quality knife of about a 14" overall length.

And yes, I do trek out alone into the deep woods (or at least I did up until two years ago) and so I am not talking out of my poop-chute.

This is exactly why I recommended the current offer from from Scrap Yard. A very tough thick blade of superb steel and the right length and size. I believe the current offering is a 7 1/2 inch long blade with a 1/4 thick spine. And a point tip that is not so thin as to be subject to break but yet big enough to baton with. Very similar to the one posted above too by the way. I would be argued that no one blade is perfect for every job but if you had to chose one... this would be the way to go.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Makes good sense to me.

"This is exactly why I recommended the current offer from from Scrap Yard. A very tough thick blade of superb steel and the right length and size. I believe the current offering is a 7 1/2 inch long blade with a 1/4 thick spine. And a point tip that is not so thin as to be subject to break but yet big enough to baton with. Very similar to the one posted above too by the way. I would be argued that no one blade is perfect for every job but if you had to chose one... this would be the way to go."

I would have to go with Marble's Woodcraft for a general purpose survival knife, small enough to field dress all game animals and tough enough to do general camp chores. For a fight knife a USMC KA-BAR.
    Semper Fi

K bar on belt .Swiss knife in pocket . A old army first aid pouch loaded with gear . Clips on belt and their if you need it.
    The hollow handle knife was made for a Nam medic by Randell as I remember He carried meds in handel and the saw teeth we to tear thru aircraft skin. .
    Leave Rambo in the movies. .
    I rather have a quality small AX my self
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

If you like the KA-BAR take a look at the Pilot's Survival Knife. Similar design in a 5" blade in O1 steel with a hex head pommel, a leather sheath and a small sharpening stone in the front sheath pocket. Try 888knivesRus, I know they carry them in your price range.

For something a little larger, I always carried my old Gerber first gen. LMF (light multi-functional) with a 6" blade when out where things might turn ugly. I've put that knife through just about everything short of armed conflict and it's held up well. They're long since discontinued but based on that knife, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and carry an LMF II.

For extra large, almost obnoxiously big knives I've got a SwampRat BattleRat. IMO, unless you want something to use as a heavy machete, improvised ax or in actual combat, it's just too big and heavy. Their CampTramp model is in the 6"- 7" blade range and for carrying while hiking, camp chores and general wilderness survival, it'd be a much better choice.
    Jack

I have the Buck Nighthawk w/tanto blade. It's solid and hold a edge well.

"Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Administrator
    Well, if you carry a large enough knife of really great quality that is well balanced & that handles chopping tasks and brush clearing tasks really well then it's (in reality) not too heavy because you have eliminated the absolute necessity of adding an ax and a machete to your grunt load.

Stay away from really large knives that have deep pronounced finger grooves and really pronounced guards because the finger grooves get really uncomfortable during assorted extended task use and big knife-guards add to the difficulty of using the knife for finer cutting chores.
    Just my decently qualified opinion on that - based on trial and error personal experience.

And there is no worse feature on any knife than a phony "cool factor saw back" that is incapable of sawing anything.

I have this black USMC style knife that I got from a flea market like 6 years ago...

it says Air Force on it, and its made in Ontario Canada.

it never let me down. who woulda thought u get such a good knife from a flea market store? lol

IMHO, a good, heavy, (REAL) bowie knife. There's a good reason it was so popular in the 19th century among those that actually lived on (off?) the land. My other choice (or the perfect companion to a smaller knife) is a tomohawk. Properly made it will do anything a knife will do, plus. The suggestion of a Kukri is good too, if you get a real one. All are ferocious weapons in H2H. Any of these will butcher a hog easily enough - the ultimate test of a bladed tool's toughness and utility. Hogs are as tough and mean after death as before.
    Good luck in your search.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I have this black USMC style knife that I got from a flea market like 6 years ago...

it says Air Force on it, and its made in Ontario Canada.

it never let me down. who woulda thought u get such a good knife from a flea market store? lol
    Actually I believe the knife is from Ontario ,CA.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Gerber LMF II

Lead Moderator
    I like and have used the Cold Steel Trailmaster on many extended campouts.

One thing that I have learned when suvival camping with only what you can carry on your back...

A big knife can do what the little knife can do, but the little knife cannot do what the big knife can do.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links