Best survival knife all purpose IYO? - Page 3

Best survival knife all purpose IYO?

This is a discussion on Best survival knife all purpose IYO? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My go to hunting camping knife go every where and any where knife is an Equatorian Chili from MercWorx. I've skinned a buffalo taken off ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Best survival knife all purpose IYO?

Death To AL Qaeda

My go to hunting camping knife go every where and any where knife is an Equatorian Chili from MercWorx. I've skinned a buffalo taken off its head and quartered it up. Cut truck loads of pine boughs, cut rope all day . Chopped kindling, cut tipi pegs and it was still sharp enough to whittle the best marshmallow sticks that night. At a quarter inch thick, almost three inches wide the eight and a half inch blade can make some devastating wounds. They now have a bigger version the Goliath but the Clotho folder is next on my wish list. Their version of Fairbairn-Sykes Commando Knife the Shiva is a real beauty too

But before any of those and closer to the OP's price point I found GrayMan Knives not to long ago. I have to get one or two of this gentleman's blades. His designs are based upon his practical combat experience and apparently does design work with MercWorx. But his knives do not have the fit and finish of a MerkWorx knife or the price point As of yet I have not personally seen or used one of his knives. But according to the reviews these are handmade by an expert at using a knife. A career soldier, an operator, that fought in Darfur which led to his doing tours in Sudan as a volunteer advisor to the Sudanese Peoples Liberation Army on his own dime. He fights alongside the Christian villagers and trains snipers against the governments AL Qaeda backed genocidal Islamic troops who have been committing religious and ethnic cleansing virtually unimpeded for twenty years. IMO that is someone I want to spend my money with. Oh on the tang of each of his knives he engraves Death To AL Qaeda.
    The Bill of Right DO NOT grant me Rights. They simply protect Rights granted to me by God.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Check this out... The Tool Logic, Firesteel knife. Folding 3" blade with integral firestarter, whistle and LED light. I suppose if I had to pick one for wilderness survival, that'd be it. The utility of a firestarter cannot be overstated.

Cabela's -- Tool Logic SLPRO

My vote is for a leatherman and a bic disposable lighter (for starting fires). I use my leatherman everyday, in fact I am dreading having to send it back for some repairs since I will feel helpless without it.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Check this out... The Tool Logic, Firesteel knife. Folding 3" blade with integral firestarter, whistle and LED light. I suppose if I had to pick one for wilderness survival, that'd be it. The utility of a firestarter cannot be overstated.

Cabela's -- Tool Logic SLPRO
    Looks like you have to remove the fire starter before you can use the knife. Even than you are stuck with a thin three inch blade, with limited practical use. For that price you buy plenty of magnesium fire starters. Carry one on your key chain or wallet put a few in the cars, Bike & boat. Than get a real knife that you can use to dig the fire pit, cut the kindling/wood, kill or dig up your meal, skin it, clean and prep it and have a weapon should you need it. I think the same thing about swiss army knives and leathermans which are great to have on hand. But, IMO like a bic they do not replace a knife.
    The Bill of Right DO NOT grant me Rights. They simply protect Rights granted to me by God.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Looks like you have to remove the fire starter before you can use the knife. Even than you are stuck with a thin three inch blade, with limited practical use. For that price you buy plenty of magnesium fire starters. Carry one on your key chain or wallet put a few in the cars, Bike & boat. Than get a real knife that you can use to dig the fire pit, cut the kindling/wood, kill or dig up your meal, skin it, clean and prep it and have a weapon should you need it. I think the same thing about swiss army knives and leathermans which are great to have on hand. But, IMO like a bic they do not replace a knife.
    Sure! And I'd carry a first aid kit, and food rations, and a gun, extra blankets, some ammo, my ham radio with extra batteries and...and...and.... The question was about a survival knife, and if I had to pick one as my singular tool for survival, that'd probably be it. Besides, don't you ever watch survivorman? heh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Sure! Besides, don't you ever watch survivorman? heh
    Yeah, he's pretty good at getting the Bernzomatic and gas off-camera pretty quick, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnClan View Post
    Buck makes a great inexpensive (tactical/ hunting knife)
    Check your local Walmart I got mine for around 40.00...

That one's my hiking buddy, too, though mine has a serrated edge. I bought it at AG for ~$60.

Good old Kabar...one with a 7 inch blade, half serrated.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

i have a skin diversknife made by oceanic that looks like it would work pretty well even though i don't skin dive.....
    i really need to get a digital camera so i can post pics....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Ram Rod I ran across this SOG Fusion Jungle Primitive at Cabelas for $39.99 it lists for $62.00 on the SOG website

It looked and felt sturdy with a full tang that offers a serrated hammer on the end of the handle. The blade is not a 1/4 thick like a MercWorx Equatorian Chili or Grayman Ground Pounder but is substantial enough to take real world heavy duty use abuse. At $415 less than a Equatorian Chili or $155 less than a Ground Pounder I think it is a fair trade off for a blade that is a good solid blade. SOG has a good reputation and this blade looks like it lives up to their high standards. It has a 5 star rating on Cabelas website.

Cabelas description is fair and accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Cabelas
    One can instantly turn this knife into a small machete, limb saw or hammer, making it a highly versatile outdoor tool for hunting, camping or adventuring. Using SOG's TiNi Hardcased coating on the 420 stainless steel, the SOG Fusion Jungle Primitive is durable and comfortable with a molded Kraton handle that features Digi-Grip™, which guarantees gripping power where and when you need it. The blade is partially serrated for making tougher cuts. Includes a nylon sheath with utility pouch.
    Weight: 14 oz.
    Blade length: 9.5".
    Overall length: 15.3".
    The utility pouch will hold a magnesium fire starter, some para cord sharpening stone plus and...and...and.... as BlackPR would say. At $39.99 I would be comfortable having it strapped onto the bike pack where it would be easily accessible and useable. Unlike a more expensive blade that I keep stashed deep in my gear

hso
    The only reliable storage handle knives that I've handled are the Chris Reeves and Randall (I have both). With the others you'll end up with a blade and knife-handle-shaped storage compartment in each hand at some point.

As I recall, you haven't defined "survival". Survival knives don't have to be "fighters" and usually you're much better off with a good utility tool to make other tools with. Survival in the subarctic and the jungle have different requirements. In the jungle a machete excels, even a "small" one. In the forest you can get by with a sturdy 5" knife that you can baton. The advise to stay away from prominent guards should be heeded, especially the double guard. I've never found a saw back to be of any real use in the woods.

All that said, there are plenty of 4-5" knives out there of good quality that fit the bill (quality and price). Almost any 5" Bark River, SOG NW Ranger, plenty of Moras, the RAT or TOPS knives. From what I'm reading and seeing the Browning Crowell/Barker knife does very well for a bigger knife. From the inexpensive Moras on up in price you can find plenty of good knives, just stay away from gimmicky knives when you intend to bet your butt on them.

Okay, I'm skipping ahead. I saw the Rambo knife in the OP (horrible thing that, no strength IMHO). And the Chris Reeve hollow handle (fantastic knife, way too expensive for the criteria of the OP).

So in the middle (pages 2,3,4) did anyone else suggest possibly the best bargain/most utilitarian "survival knife" known to man?

It's gotta be the machete, many variants available. I like the classic GI model from Ontario Knife Co. for a bargain, still available for under $30 I think (used to be able to buy them for under $15!). This and a decent file for sharpening, and you've got a versatile tool that'll slash, skin, chop, dig, clear debris... and provide a formidable defensive tool as well. All for pennies, and it'll last a life time!

ETA: Okay, I went back and read them all anyway . I see the machete has been mentioned, as well as several of my other knife choices.

The Cold Steel SRK-( Survival Rescue Knife). I have two, one I got right after they came out. The second, I picked up at the PX in Baghdad. Yeah, I carried mostly for last ditch defense (we weren't allowed to carry guns- or knives for that matter.... ).

Another favorite is the USAF Survival knife. I've owned several of these over the years. They're durable and versatile. Inexpensive too. I keep one in my aviation survival kit for when I fly light planes (It's been too long!).

And a SAK is ALWAYS a great thing to have around. I also like any of the small "tactical folders" many of us carry daily. My #1 choice there is a serrated Spyderco Endura. Nothing wrong with having several blades to to various chores if possible.

And I'd still pack the machete if I were heading out to the boonies for a retreat.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hso View Post
    survival knives don't have to be "fighters" and usually you're much better off with a good utility tool to make other tools with. Survival in the subarctic and the jungle have different requirements. In the jungle a machete excels, even a "small" one. In the forest you can get by with a sturdy 5" knife that you can baton. The advise to stay away from prominent guards should be heeded, especially the double guard. I've never found a saw back to be of any real use in the woods.
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    I'd still pack the machete if I were heading out to the boonies for a retreat.
    Exactly why I suggested the SOG Fusion Jungle Primitive

Small machete not as heavy duty as the fighters I mentioned. Not one of SOG's higher end knives but still has their quality design, workmanship and materials. Solidly built and the serrated spine actually works for cutting small limbs. While I do have some higher end blades I am adding one of these to the collection, maybe add a couple spares to the cars survival kits & camping gear.
    Forgot to note the serrated hammer pommel and holes are well places to tie it to a pole should you need a spear. Both features on knives I have found useful in the past
    Last edited by LongRider; December 22nd, 2008 at 05:57 PM.

Another affordable option to consider might be the Kershaw Outcast. It's a Ken Onion design and can be found at the $60-$70 price point if you shop around.

Nick
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

I'll vote for the Gerber LMF 2 as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links