Best survival knife all purpose IYO? - Page 4

Best survival knife all purpose IYO?

This is a discussion on Best survival knife all purpose IYO? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a little out of my price range right now, but I really like the looks of this knife. It looks to be a ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Best survival knife all purpose IYO?

This is a little out of my price range right now, but I really like the looks of this knife. It looks to be a good all around camping, hiking, outdoor type of knife.
    Kabar Becker TacTool
    With guns, we are 'citizens'.
    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

After living in the back woods of NW Arkansas

I have to go to the opposite end of the spectrum, I have trusted ALL of my needs to a sturdy multitool, read SOG or Leatherman, I never found a need that couldn't be addressed with brains and time. I lived in the back of the back woods and was able to fashion any tools with the multitool that it couldn't be used for itself. If you want to go uptown add an Eastwing ax, everything else is just bells and whistles. I will be the first to admit that other knives meet specialized needs better; but if you want to keep it to one knife... just rember "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome"!

Searn
    5lima30ret likes this.

Best Blade

Being a combat knife collector and enthusiast, I must say the BUSSE Combat is probably the toughest knife I have ever had the privilege to use, hands down. Hard to buy anything off the rack that can take it punishment.

BussefFFBMtestpage

But...they are a tad pricey....

one old gunslingers opinion

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by taozen79 View Post
    Being a combat knife collector and enthusiast, I must say the BUSSE Combat is probably the toughest knife I have ever had the privilege to use, hands down. Hard to buy anything off the rack that can take it punishment.

BussefFFBMtestpage

Welcome to Defensive Carry. That has to be the most brutal test I have ever seen a knife put through. I would not mind owning a Busse, or two. Though I prefer MerkWork designs. I suspect my MercWorx Equatorian Chili would fair pretty well through that test but it would bring a tear to my eye to see her brutalized like that. She has seen some hard use but nothing like that. Which is why I am looking forward to getting some GrayMan Knives. No doubt they will not mind the wear much. But all those are out of the OP's prefered price point and I do see the value of having some lesser high end knives around. So far there have been some pretty good suggestions, proving we do not always have to spend top dollar to get good usable blades.
    The Bill of Right DO NOT grant me Rights. They simply protect Rights granted to me by God.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by jlmdlm View Post
    This is a little out of my price range right now, but I really like the looks of this knife. It looks to be a good all around camping, hiking, outdoor type of knife.
    Kabar Becker TacTool
    That does look like a do it all knife/axe. One could hack off a tree limb or the hind quarters of a calf with that. Build a lean-to or fend off the local bear. Too many good suggestions so far. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by taozen79 View Post

BussefFFBMtestpage

Yeah...one word....WOW!

All round general purpose survival knife under 100.00?

I second the Cold Steel SRK. Mine stays on the search and rescue pack 24/7.

Brownie

Ontario RTAK-II. May be hard to find for under $100, but not much more if it all.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Ontario RTAK-II. May be hard to find for under $100, but not much more if it all.
    I have an Ontario machete and it's been through a lot with me. I just hope the handle never cracks! I have hacked off limbs with that. Actually chopped down small saplings as well.

If you are looking for a survival knife, you typically would want to look at a 4" blade give or take an inch. 6" is the biggest it should go as a knife much bigger becomes clumsy and awkward, and pretty useless. There isn't much a good 4" blade can't handle. I highly recommend Rat Cutlery, as they have a lifetime guarantee on their knives. Check out RAT Cutlery Co. Any SOG blade will take you far as well, as they stand behind their product as well. The team leader is a great well rounded survival blade. The biggest difference in the type of blade you are gonna be looking for comes down to your definition of survival. Are you looking for a blade to be used for dressing game, building shelters, and splitting wood? Or, are you looking for something that leaves gaping wound cavities in the would be attacker? Anyways, I would always stay away from hollow handled knives as they are just asking to break. look for something with a full tang, that will carry the strength down through the handle! Good luck!
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    Another affordable option to consider might be the Kershaw Outcast. It's a Ken Onion design and can be found at the $60-$70 price point if you shop around.

Nick
    Agreed after reading this review of the Kershaw Outcast I compared it to the SOG Jungle Fusion at Cabelas, The Outcast is larger, with a 9.5 inch blade almost a mini machete with a solid heftier feel due to its thicker more substantial blade, and Kershaw's slip free grip. It has a well balanced feel, a bit tip heavy to aid in chopping and hacking chores. I liked it so much more I ended up walking out of Cabelas with the Outcast. The Kershaw Outcast review pretty much says it all so there is no need to repeat it here.
    Also have a

Becker BK2 From Tomar's KA-Bar - Becker Knives on the way. With a .25 thick 5.23 X 1.75 1095 high carbon blade with a RC of 58 it should be able to handle any job thrown at it. The two should be a more than adequate survival camp knives for a bit over the OPs budget of $100. May use the two on the next couple of camping trips and leave the Equatorian at home see how they work out. I'll post a review of the BK2 than

Another maybe better option for less money would be the

Ka-Bar Becker BK7 Combat Utility 7 inch blade
    or the

Ka-Bar Becker BK9 Combat Bowie 9 inch blade
    Both come with the a KA-BAR / Becker BK13 with a 2.5 inch blade for smaller chores and sheath that carries both.
    Tomar's KA-Bar - Becker Knives has the BK7 & BK9 for slightly less but I am unsure if the BK13 is included with theirs.SO you will want to cjeck on that.
    In fact like the Becker Tac Tool above, you really can not go wrong with any of Becker's knives IMO he has some of the best working knives made that rival knives at four times the price. Tomar's KA-Bar - Becker Knives has a good review of them. It is a crying shame that the Beckedr Brute is no longer being made I'd pick one up in a heart beat. They sold for about $88 in fact if anyone has one they want to unload I'd be happy to buy it. Here is custom version of one
    The Bill of Right DO NOT grant me Rights. They simply protect Rights granted to me by God.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I carried the original USAF survival knife on my aircrew issued survival vest. I used one when I went through Survival school at Fairchild AFB. It was OK, but not particularly outstanding either. If I had to choose a survival knife now it would probably be the Gerber LMF or the Glock Field knife. Both are pretty much indestructible and should withstand a LOT of abuse. FWIW, the Glock field knife is somewhat more corrosion resistant in saltwater environment than the Gerber. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Holy thread resurrection Batman 12 years, when I attended USAF Survival School I saw all manner of “survival” knives. I took along a Gerber A450 (no longer made) that little 4 1/2 —inch knife saw more use than anything else.

Best survival knife all purpose IYO?-img_0673.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    I vote for the tried and true military issue KABAR.
    If it was good enough for the Marines, it will more than work for whatever i can throw at it.
    QKShooter and Texas Red like this.

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    QKShooter likes this.
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Tops Tom Brown Tracker No1.
    It will chop like a hatchet, notch, break wire fencing, process wood, cut, make shavings, pound tent stakes...
    And yes, "this knife weel keel"

(the bigger one)
    Best survival knife all purpose IYO?-img_4906.jpg
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links