Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sights

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sights within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I was wondering if the Mosin 91/30's come sighted in with the bayonete off or on. I know the m44 was meant to be ...

Thread: Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sights

Hello,

I was wondering if the Mosin 91/30's come sighted in with the bayonete off or on. I know the m44 was meant to be shot with the bayonete extended, but I'm not sure about the 91/30.

Also, the bayonete on mine is really hard to get on, I think if I were to sand off a hair on the groove of the bayonete that fits the front sight, but I was just asking if I should go ahead with it because I didn't want to ruin the gun or anything.

That brings me to another point. When I put the bayo on, it's so hard to get on/off, I have to wrestle with it alot, can I miss up the front sight by having my palm resting on it while I try to unscrew the bayo or is the front sight adjusted from the inside?

I hope that makes sense. I'm going to try to go to the range tomorrow and try it for my self, but I just wanted to hear from you guys first.

Let us know how that range report goes. I don't have one but am interested in getting one.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Pretty sure they were origionally sighted with the bayonet attached.

Also in my experiance the sights only become truely accurate at 100 meters and longer.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Standard Soviet infantry practice during WWII was to have bayonets fixed when going into combat.

My 91/30 shoots the same supported with and without the bayonet
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

jbs
    The balance of the MN changes with the bayonette extended. From results I have seen, from a rest or vise, POI is the same. Off hand will be different due to the weight balance change.
    You can sand, file, somehow ease the opening on the bayonette where it goes around the sight but you are mostly dealing with the sight base. As long as your not putting pressure on the post, it should not change your windage adjustment.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    It generally is not an issue with the 91/30, so there is no real reason to shoot it with the bayonet attached unless you feel like it. My 3 91/30's shoot the same either way. I have 4 M44's a 2 are affected by not extending the attached bayo and the other 2 are not.....go figure IVAN. You will likely find that the MN91/30 will be shooting high as much as 5-8" at 100 yards. If you go to the surplusrifle.com site there are some good "fixes" for this (raising front sight post).

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ight/index.asp
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ghts/index.asp
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I went out with my mn91/30 and it shot really well (at least by my standards lol) without the bayonet. I was shooting at a 200m gong and was hitting it every so often. I'm. Very happy to say the least. I didn't try it with the bayonet on cuz I can't turn it once its fitted around the barrel. The cut groove where the front sight is suppose to fit is way to tight, I think I need to get a metal file and file a hair off the inside if the bayonet where thr front sight is suppose to go, unless anyone else has any better suggestions?

As a side question, does hoppees 9 clean the corrosive chemicals from the mosins surplus mil ammo? I heard your suppose to clean it with windex first then clean your rifle the regular way, and that's what I've been doing but thatb such a pain.

Thanks

I went out with my mn91/30 and it shot really well (at least by my standards lol) without the bayonet. I was shooting at a 200m gong and was hitting it every so often. I'm. Very happy to say the least. I didn't try it with the bayonet on cuz I can't turn it once its fitted around the barrel. The cut groove where the front sight is suppose to fit is way to tight, I think I need to get a metal file and file a hair off the inside if the bayonet where thr front sight is suppose to go, unless anyone else has any better suggestions?

As a side question, does hoppees 9 clean the corrosive chemicals from the mosins surplus mil ammo? I heard your suppose to clean it with windex first then clean your rifle the regular way, and that's what I've been doing but thatb such a pain.

Thanks

I boil water on the stove in the wife's tea kettle. Then I pour it down the barrel and gas tube , and over the other parts on my two AK'74's. There's really no need for the windex or anything else. The hot water also evaperates really fast. After I clean as I normally would.

+1 on the Rigrat Commentary. The same salts that attract moisture and corrode like hot water more than they do metal.

Back in the day it was nothing for me and my buddy to expend several hundred rounds on weekends. Good job, no bills, just toys.
    I had an underfolder that I loved... and I'd put a LOT of that rotgut Chinese steelcore through it.

Solution? Car wash. 3am. Weekends. Engine degreaser first, then soapy hot water, then pressure rinse. Take it home, dry and oil it, back in business. Sometimes the piston needed a little more attention, and I'd keep copper from building up in the barrel.

Times have changed though.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moress View Post

Thanks
    Why is it a pain? All you need to do is run maybe 3-4 patches max with windex (ammonia) down the barrel and also clean/wipe the bolt and then clean as normal, its just one more minor step that adds less than 5 min. to the process. I have been a milsrp shooter collector for 20 years and this is what I do and have never had any issues with corrosive ammo. Its well worth the extra few min. to use this cheap pleantiful milsurp ammo. The hot water methods works well also buts a but more involved. All you need is a small plastic funnel and maybe some plastic tubing and just pore hot water down the barrel to flushout the salts.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I took my MN out to the range again today, I just had that "urge" to squeeze off a few rounds. I set up a target at 25m and another at 50m. I was shooting on one knee with my elbow resting on the other. The 25m target was all over the place, mostly with the shots going up and right, with this target I tried aiming with both eyes open and using the "ring" of the front sight as my point of reference for sighting in these quick shots. The 50m target I kinda used the sights, these shots landed low but center, but they was a pretty good group by my standards.

I couldn't figure out why my shots where so bad on the closer target, but luckily another shooter was near giving me tips. Since I was trying for quick fast shots, I would wrap my trigger finger around the whole trigger practically, and that would cause this jerky motion to the right. Next time I go shoot again, I'll try shooting with only the pad of my tirgger finger like he suggested.

The more I shoot this gun, the more I love it. My whole family makes fun of it for being this old ass russian rifle, but damn, what a fun gun! I seriously think this is gonna be my new zombie gun lol.

P.S. Tonight when I got home, I acidentatlly droped the gun on the front sight. It was leaned up against my hand and slipped and tipped over right ontop of the front sight, do you think that could have knocked it out of alignment? The front sight seems really well stuck in there when I try to move it around by hand, I can't see if theres any motion so maybe I'm just worring over nothing? I guess what I'm asking is the front sight easily shifted by droping or is this just a tough rifle after all? lol Thanks.

Sponsored Links