Truck Guns - the Lever Option - Page 7

Truck Guns - the Lever Option

This is a discussion on Truck Guns - the Lever Option within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Paco Kelly's take on levergun accurizing This maybe helpful also, Marlin Resources...

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree597Likes

Thread: Truck Guns - the Lever Option

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Drift...I can only tell you of my long-gone Marlin and the two vintage Winchester 94s I own currently. I've not shot any of them beyond 200 yards. The Marlin just wasn't made for long range anything, but it was acceptably accurate at 100 yards. With the wadcutters we used in competition, everything was in one hole (from a bench). The 94s group minute-of-deer at 200 with hunting ammo.My opinion? A lever action is probably going to be just fine without free floating unless you want to drive tacks, and then you would have been a lot better buying a bolt gun.
    10thmtn, OD*, drift and 1 others like this.

**Update**

First and foremost, I've got to tell you, it's fun shooting a .30 caliber again! Especially the 30-30. The only way I can describe the recoil of the 30-30 is it's like the .45, it's got umph, but it's a nice push vs. being snappy. This is a rifle that just begs to be shot standing up! I'm loving shooting it!!

Ok where do I start? I played with this thing for just under 4 hours today (ok - I shot my G26 a couple 35 shots too)! It was fun and I'm exhausted! But not all of it was good. @gasmitty , I have bad news. I didn't get the baseline group. When I went to the range the first time, there were people at the pistol range. So I set up at the rifle range where 50 yards is the closest place you could place a target (other than a can or whatever). I put up a target and then let my first round fly standing. I hit nothing, but I did note a strange upward tugging on my mouth. What the heck?! Yeah! I was smiling from ear to ear lol.

I put another round down range, nothing. Complete miss. So I set up my rest and went to work. Pew, pew pew. Nothing. Man, the sights are so off it's not even funny!! That or this rifle is the most inaccurate thing in the world because it couldn't have been me!!

After 5 rounds of hitting jack, I had to make a call. Do I get the baseline, or do I load up my 220 grits and lapp? I shot a single 220 grit and went for the lapp. After the shot, I jumped in the car, cleaned the rifle, and then went back to shoot 4, 320 grits. But this time I took one of those full size man targets to see if I could at least hit paper.

At this point, the dude who maintains the range had the rest for the 50 yard target to repair (it was starting to rain, so I don't think he expected anyone to be out), and I could only hang things up at 100. I figured I should be able to hit a freaking huge target like that at 100. Nope. Man, I'm telling you, I'm ordering the scope tonight. My eyes suck!

But it wasn't all for not. After hiking back, in a little bit of a huff, I whipped out my Glock and threw 5 down range at 100. I got a hit lol! Woot. After walking back to see if I did, I waked back about ten yards, turned, drew and fired a quick three from the hip. No bs - they were incredibly tight right where I was aiming. So I dropped the mag, replenished and went at it again as fast as I could. I think this shooting from the hip could get addictive lol.

Truck Guns - the Lever Option-img_2742.jpg
    Good times!

At this point it was beginning to pour rain so I packed it up and went home and cleaned out the rifle again for the next round which will be 600 grit.

Speaking of cleaning. Before I went out to do the initial base group, I wanted to clean out the barrel. Now with a lever gun, as many know already, you remove a screw to release the lever which drops out, and then you remove the bolt yadda, yadda. Well when I removed the screw, the lever didn't slide out. As a matter a fact, it didn't budge. It was so tight, I actually reviewed a couple of videos to see if I was high and forgot something. Nope. I literally had to take a hammer to it to pry it out. There was so much junk in there, it just refused to move. That was a bit shocking.

Of course after the last round of shooting with it raining hard now, I decided to give the gun a complete cleaning. I disassembled the rifle - yay!

Truck Guns - the Lever Option-img_2745.jpg

But I joke not. This poor rifle needed it. There was no "love" when this thing was slapped together. Have a look.

Truck Guns - the Lever Option-img_2743.jpg

Sure that's only wood, but when I took all the metal parts out and sprayed em in the bathroom, this is what was left in the tub.

Truck Guns - the Lever Option-img_2746.jpg

After oiling it all up, the gun really has become rather smooth. I think I'll use grease next time vs oil. I'm not going to "file" things down any time soon. The gun with the cleaning really is cycling quite nicely. I said I was going to get the new trigger. And I think I still will, or I will have to file down the stock one. That thing has some edges.

Anyway, that's enough of a report! Great gun. Fun to shoot. As for accuracy - who knows? That story will be told in a couple of days when Midway ships the scope (now that they have the rings in stock).
    AzQkr, OD*, bmcgilvray and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Oh wow! I've got some reading material!! Thank you. I seem to be saying that a lot to you here lately. Clearly you are a lever lover
    OD*, bmcgilvray and gasmitty like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    Oh wow! I've got some reading material!! Thank you. I seem to be saying that a lot to you here lately. Clearly you are a lever lover
    You're very welcome.

Yes sir, I do love me some leverguns.

ETA: Nice AAR too.
    drift and bmcgilvray like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You're very welcome.

Yes sir, I do love me some leverguns.

ETA: Nice AAR too.
    Nice. Honestly, I'm so glad I got this lever. It's stupid fun. There is just something about it!

FYI - I feel so dumb? ETA = Estimated time of arrival? AAR = After action report?
    bmcgilvray and OD* like this.

Senior Moderator
    Ok Drift. Tell us true.

That's really your tub's condition after washing off your old grimy self in your Saturday night bath, isn't it?

For shame, trying to lay that grime off on a poor new rifle.

The innards of the thing are kinda EEEEEWW aren't they?
    OD* and drift like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Nice. Honestly, I'm so glad I got this lever. It's stupid fun. There is just something about it!

FYI - I feel so dumb? ETA = Estimated time of arrival? AAR = After action report?
    Don't feel dumb, nobody knew what they meant the first time they saw them.

ETA = Edit To Add.

AAR = After action report?
    drift and PAcanis like this.

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Ok Drift. Tell us true.

That's really your tub's condition after washing off your old grimy self in your Saturday night bath, isn't it?

For shame, trying to lay that grime off on a poor new rifle.

The innards of the thing are kinda EEEEEWW aren't they?
    That's hilarious!

I'm telling you - that was after I had already removed all that stuff off the lever! She was some kind of dirty. Yes - EEEEEWW

It's funny, normally that kind of stuff would have me beyond myself. But somehow, not with the Marlin. You kind of have to expect that I figure on an inexpensive gun. I'm really liking how forgiving I am with this rifle so far. There are all kinds of sharp and "unfinished" parts to it internally, but I'm like meh, it's all good. I'll guess I'll just forgive a bunch when a rifle swings well, and as much as I harp on about about it, this thing swings well.

As some have mentioned my little fascination with accuracy in a lever, let me just say this; I'm not expecting miracles. But any rifle with a 16" barrel should shoot MOA. There is just no reason for them not to. I'll take 1.5." If I can get more, I'm going to chase it. Heck yeah I'm going to chase it. Shooting is an accuracy thing after all. I need all the help I can get. And in spite of the fact that it's "only" a 200 yard gun, it doesn't mean that the thing can shoot sideways lol. 200 standing... 200 sitting is a pretty tough shot. A .5 MOA difference can make all the difference.

That said, I haven't forgotten this is a truck gun. But a truck gun is the gun you'll probably go to if your life is at risk, so again, accuracy and familiarity are important I figure.

I'm really hoping this gun pans out.

this thread is infectious @drift . I am coming down with some serious hankering for some rifle action! I am glad you are enjoying yours. I might have to pull out the long guns this weekend.
    drift likes this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

That's hilarious!

I'm telling you - that was after I had already removed all that stuff off the lever! She was some kind of dirty. Yes - EEEEEWW

It's funny, normally that kind of stuff would have me beyond myself. But somehow, not with the Marlin. You kind of have to expect that I figure on an inexpensive gun. I'm really liking how forgiving I am with this rifle so far. There are all kinds of sharp and "unfinished" parts to it internally, but I'm like meh, it's all good. I'll guess I'll just forgive a bunch when a rifle swings well, and as much as I harp on about about it, this thing swings well.

As some have mentioned my little fascination with accuracy in a lever, let me just say this; I'm not expecting miracles. But any rifle with a 16" barrel should shoot MOA. There is just no reason for them not to. I'll take 1.5." If I can get more, I'm going to chase it. Heck yeah I'm going to chase it. Shooting is an accuracy thing after all. I need all the help I can get. And in spite of the fact that it's "only" a 200 yard gun, it doesn't mean that the thing can shoot sideways lol. 200 standing... 200 sitting is a pretty tough shot. A .5 MOA difference can make all the difference.

That said, I haven't forgotten this is a truck gun. But a truck gun is the gun you'll probably go to if your life is at risk, so again, accuracy and familiarity are important I figure.

I'm really hoping this gun pans out.
    I'll show my ignorance - what is MOA?
    drift and bmcgilvray like this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertywheel View Post
    I'll show my ignorance - what is MOA?
    It's all good. "Minute of Angle"

Minute of Angle (MOA) | National Shooting Sports Foundation

In a nutshell, if shooting at 100 yards, the rounds will hit within an inch of each other. Which in theory, means that they will spread no farther than 2" apart from each other at 200 yards, so on and so forth.

Just so you know, I've never been sold on the notion that a group that hits within a minute of angle (MOA), or a one inch group at 100, necessarily translates to 2" at 200. YMMV.

What rifles do you shoot Liberty?
    Libertywheel and PAcanis like this.

Senior Moderator
    MOA = Minute of Angle. It's the distance subtended by one minute of angle (1/60th of a degree) commonly used by shooters as a measure of accuracy. Conveniently, one MOA is effectively one inch at 100 yards, 2 inches at 200 yards, etc. We all love rifles that can achieve 1 MOA or better at 100+ yards.
    drift, Libertywheel and PAcanis like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    I'm hoping it pans out for you. I'm watching this thread with interest.

I lost patience with Marlin years ago, long before this Remington acquisition and the supposed lower quality. What I'm reading here is somewhat better than a personal experience.

Marlin introduced a variant of their Model 1894 in .32-20 in about 1989-1990. The Model 1894CL it was. I've loved the .32-20 cartridge all my adult life and was delighted to think that I could buy a brand new rifle chambered for the cartridge. It would give me a chance to try out a Marlin product and also take shooting pressure off of the antique Winchester Model 1892 I have. I had my FFL dealer friend order me one out, just as soon as I could.

When it arrived, its action was the proverbial "rough as a cob." Trigger pull was abysmal. Gritty and very heavy. Action parts had sharp edges, enough to cut you.

The Marlin was drilled to accept scope mounts. I had planned to scope this .32-20 for detailed handloading and bench rest work with the .32-20 cartridge, leaving the open sighted Winchester for the odd plinking/small game hunting duties when the whim struck. I mounted a low-powered scope on the rifle and worked up batches of loads that gave good performance in the old Winchester and headed to the range. Four-inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards were all that could be mustered.

Long story short. I worked over rifle, scope mounts, tried it with open sights, changed handload concoctions but nothing would make the rifle shoot. One day while cleaning it with bolt removed I detected a large shallow pit in the bore, just in front of the chamber. This pit extended to about a third of the bore diameter and was perhaps a half an inch long. It was obviously a factory flaw, the rifling had been cut right over the pit which had been in the barrel blank prior to finish.

It was a wonder the barrel grouped at all, as large and as close to the chamber throat the pit was. I contacted Marlin who sent me paperwork for returning the rifle for warranty work. Unfortunately, the experience disheartened me so much that I ended up leaving the rifle standing in a closet corner for 15 years, never sending it in nor touching it again. It left me cold. It wasn't only the bad barrel. It was the wretched factory trigger. It was also that goofy sliding safety with the red paint on it, conspicuous on the side of the receiver. The rifle just wasn't what I had envisioned coming out of a respected manufacturer that Marlin was suppose to have been at that time.

The 1896 Winchester Model 1892 .32-20 saddle-ring-carbine whipped the hooey out of that Marlin. The Winchester was, and still is, good for 2 1/2-inch groups from the bench at 100 yards with its favorite bullets and loads. The trigger is quite nice, light and crisp. The action "slicker'n snot on a brass door nob."

I ended up selling the rifle to a machinist/gunsmith/ace competitive shooter and gun club bud who rebarreled it to .357 Magnum and worked over its action and trigger in order to make a lever-action silhouette rifle for fun matches.

Your new rifle sure sounds like it has more possibilities than that Marlin to me.
    gasmitty, drift and OD* like this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Senior Moderator
    Here's a fairly recent photo of the lever-action rifles of the menagerie with the 1896 vintage Winchester Model 1892 .32-20 saddle-ring-carbine being the third from the top.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links