Shotguns don't suck - Page 4

Shotguns don't suck

This is a discussion on Shotguns don't suck within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I prefer Federal Flight Control #1 Buckshot in my Benelli SuperNova Tactical Pump 12 gauge. I have seen what a 12 gauge riot gun does ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Shotguns don't suck

I prefer Federal Flight Control #1 Buckshot in my Benelli SuperNova Tactical Pump 12 gauge.

I have seen what a 12 gauge riot gun does to someone up close. It wasn't pretty.

I have done a lot of fishing in Viet Nam with concussion grenades.

I prefer options including 12 gauge, 5.56X45mm, 7.62X51mm, and 7.62X39.

Shotguns don't suck-black-guns-matter-1024x768-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpgShotguns don't suck-commie-guns-1024x768-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpg
    OD*, OldChap, SatCong and 1 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

@Chuck R. I'm with you on the FC. I patterned all my shotguns (870, 590A1, 930SPX, and Win 1300) and they all did extremely well with the Federal Flite Control. I got good results with #1, so I use that load (Federal LE132-1B). I only ran patterns out to 25 yards because that is the maximum distance I would ever have indoors.

Shotgun or AR? Different tools for different jobs. I can still reload a shotgun relatively quickly, but not anywhere near what comes easily with the AR. My wife and I have both in our bedroom, and given the situation, I will choose one or the other, and my wife takes the other one and backs me up.
    Bad Bob, SatCong and Chuck R. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I have. Mine pretty much follows the rule. One thing I find very intriguing is the new federal "Flight Control" wad. I have not seen them for reloaders yet but some of the factory loads were very impressive. Think full choke out of a cylinder bore.
    I use them. I talked to the LE rep for Federal several years ago and have been sold on them. My 870 keeps about a 6" group @ 15 yards with them.
    OldChap and OD* like this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @Chuck R. I'm with you on the FC. I patterned all my shotguns (870, 590A1, 930SPX, and Win 1300) and they all did extremely well with the Federal Flite Control. I got good results with #1, so I use that load (Federal LE132-1B). I only ran patterns out to 25 yards because that is the maximum distance I would ever have indoors.

Shotgun or AR? Different tools for different jobs. I can still reload a shotgun relatively quickly, but not anywhere near what comes easily with the AR. My wife and I have both in our bedroom, and given the situation, I will choose one or the other, and my wife takes the other one and backs me up.
    I also load #1 in the gun and OO on the stock. There was some decent ballistic testing a few years ago that indicated that #1 consistently had the desired penetration and that 16 x .30 (4.8) actually surpassed 9 x .33 (2.97), for frontal mass, so for the close in HD stuff the #1 load makes better sense.

Chuck
    OldChap likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Like most scenarios the answer is, "it depends".

A 12 gauge is a good weapon for many of the scenarios I foresee in my circumstances. We have nuisance bears and a 500 bed prison a mile from my house. There was a group of 7 inmates that were all felons who escaped several years ago and they headed for the nearest homes to get a change of clothes and a vehicle. They eventually caught them in Haiti and the Dominican Republic several years later.

You also need to tailor your defensive strategy to your tools, or vice versa. If I'm using a long gun, I probably won't be trying to clear my house. I'll hunker down, call the police and guard the door. I prefer the long gun for investigating problems outside the house.
    OldChap and BuckeyeMike like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links