What are the best shotguns for self/home defense? - Page 2

What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?

This is a discussion on What are the best shotguns for self/home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by PAcanis Yeah, for when you want to see what's on the other side of the bad guy OH PA - I literally ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Yeah, for when you want to see what's on the other side of the bad guy
    OH PA - I literally LOLed!

@terreythompson - I think what you're going to find with the guys on this site who've "been there," is that keeping it simple with respect to shotguns is a good thing. Honestly. They aren't going to reach out miles, they are close quarter weapons. Therefore, you just need something that'll shoulder well and is simple. Reloading isn't slow in any shotgun platform.

If I were you, I would go to a large gun shop and shoulder a few. It's kind of weird, but when you start shouldering shotguns, they really start to "talk" to you. I hated Brownings, but when I put a Citori up to my shoulder... it was love. And you need this in a home defence weapon. Why?

Because you'll have the barrel down 99% of the time as you clear your house - ideally. When it comes up, it really pays to have one that does so naturally for you. Or at least as naturally as possible. All gun store guys understand this. You will not look funny shouldering and re-sholdering a shotgun at a store. I look at where I want to hit, close my eyes and shoulder - if the gun is pointing where I want multiple times - it's a contender.

Another consideration, for me anyway, is length. My house has narrow halls. Yours does too. Because of the way over-unders and side-by-sides (SxS) are built, they are naturally at min 3" shorter than a semi or pump. That's actually quite a bit. Short is good. And what's nice about a sxs or over-under is you can take it to a sporting clays place and not look like an idiot. The practice you get on a sporting clays course is priceless. I recommend it.

I know you aren't into recoil - I get that, but believe us when we say that if you shoulder a shotgun properly, it doesn't hurt. I still opt for the 20 ga though. If you can/want, get a youth model and put on a huge butt pad! They work too. And yes, semi's really don't have the felt recoil others have. I like semi's just fine, but then you are getting a longer gun. That and if you take it to a clays place, if they make you pick up your brass, it's a pain!

For home defence, a 16 or 18 inch barrel is all you want.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    OH PA - I literally LOLed!

@terreythompson - I think what you're going to find with the guys on this site who've "been there," is that keeping it simple with respect to shotguns is a good thing. Honestly. They aren't going to reach out miles, they are close quarter weapons. Therefore, you just need something that'll shoulder well and is simple. Reloading isn't slow in any shotgun platform.

If I were you, I would go to a large gun shop and shoulder a few. It's kind of weird, but when you start shouldering shotguns, they really start to "talk" to you. I hated Brownings, but when I put a Citori up to my shoulder... it was love. And you need this in a home defence weapon. Why?

Because you'll have the barrel down 99% of the time as you clear your house - ideally. When it comes up, it really pays to have one that does so naturally for you. Or at least as naturally as possible. All gun store guys understand this. You will not look funny shouldering and re-sholdering a shotgun at a store. I look at where I want to hit, close my eyes and shoulder - if the gun is pointing where I want multiple times - it's a contender.

Another consideration, for me anyway, is length. My house has narrow halls. Yours does too. Because of the way over-unders and side-by-sides (SxS) are built, they are naturally at min 3" shorter than a semi or pump. That's actually quite a bit. Short is good. And what's nice about a sxs or over-under is you can take it to a sporting clays place and not look like an idiot. The practice you get on a sporting clays course is priceless. I recommend it.

I know you aren't into recoil - I get that, but believe us when we say that if you shoulder a shotgun properly, it doesn't hurt. I still opt for the 20 ga though. If you can/want, get a youth model and put on a huge butt pad! They work too. And yes, semi's really don't have the felt recoil others have. I like semi's just fine, but then you are getting a longer gun. That and if you take it to a clays place, if they make you pick up your brass, it's a pain!

For home defence, a 16 or 18 inch barrel is all you want.

Good luck!!
    I agree completely with Drift! The standard answer of "12 ga pump choose Mossberg or Remington" doesn't work for everybody! I really believe that a shotgun MUST fit the user! I qualified on a Remington 870 for many years and later on a Remington 11-87. I always did fine with them but... put my almost 40 year old Winchester 1200 20 ga 20" barrel in my hands and I am faster and smoother on target than even the 11-87! (The Winchester Model 12/ 1200's and Ithaca Model 37 are very slick pump shotguns that I prefer to a Remington or Mossberg.) I have also owned Mossberg 500's for years. I also think that the SxS Coach guns particularly in 20 ga are very viable for HD especially for persons who are not intimately familiar or comfortable w/ a pump or autoloader. Just my .02 worth!
    ETXhiker, PAcanis, drift and 1 others like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Get a Mossberg 500 or 590 pump

Add OpSol Mini clip adapter

Get Aguila Mini buck shells - they are shorter shells, that have 7/8 oz of a mix of #1 and #4 buckshot. Less weight means less recoil, but you still are launching 11 pellets with each shot. Shorter shells mean more shells in the mag tube.

Done.

Only caveat is the Mini shells are sometimes hard to find.

My Mossy 500 is set up this way. Love it.

Beware Remington 870 pumps. Some of their barrel extensions are rough, and can cause shells to fail to extract. Ask me how I know...

Remington of today is not the Remington of yesteryear.
    OldChap, MMinSC, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have a double barrel 20 ga. with external hammers loaded and ready to go as soon as I thumb back the hammers in one room and a Winchester '97(12 ga.) that is fully loaded in another room. It might be the "cowboy" in me, but I like these designs over all others. I have hunted with them, too.
    5lima30ret and drift like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Get a Mossberg 500 or 590 pump

Add OpSol Mini clip adapter

Get Aguila Mini buck shells - they are shorter shells, that have 7/8 oz of a mix of #1 and #4 buckshot. Less weight means less recoil, but you still are launching 11 pellets with each shot. Shorter shells mean more shells in the mag tube.

Done.

Only caveat is the Mini shells are sometimes hard to find.

My Mossy 500 is set up this way. Love it.

Beware Remington 870 pumps. Some of their barrel extensions are rough, and can cause shells to fail to extract. Ask me how I know...

Remington of today is not the Remington of yesteryear.
    I run the Hogue 12" LOP stock set on all my shotguns. That in itself seems to be the best kept secret in defense shotguns. Any gun with the short stock set is orders of magnitude faster and easier to run.

I have an Interstate Arms Hawk Model 982 that is a better 870 than most 870 models and far less expensive than the defensive 870s. My old 870 is, as you say, a much better gun that what they sell today.
    drift, 10thmtn and arizona like this.

I would say the Shockwave outfitted with a light and maybe a laser too plus some mini shells would be a great home defense shotgun. At least that is why I am telling myself I need to buy one. I have wanted one since they were announced. Actually I have wanted one since before it was even available but not enough to pay the NFA tax and wasn't smart enough to figure the workaround that Shockwave did.

I could use one of my semis like the 1100 but the barrel is too long(or my house too small). The cost of a shorter barrel puts it halfway to just buying a pump gun. 1100 is a great option though and there many affordable ones on the used market.
    drift, PAcanis and GreenMan0352 like this.

If you live in a 2 story home, I would look at semi autos and double barrels. If you find yourself prone at the top of the stairs you might find a pump hard to operate. Short barrels are handier and harder for and intruder to grab.
    arizona likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The best "shotgun" for home defense is an AR-15.
    Phaedrus, arizona and munch520 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    The best "shotgun" for home defense is an AR-15.
    Buckshot is always buckshot.

If 5.56 fails to tumble, fragment or expand...it is an ice pick.

Contrary to recent internet wisdom, a properly loaded shotgun (# 1 or # 4 buck) will over penetrate less than 5.56.
    Nix, OlCop and Libertywheel like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Nix

Damn skippy!

I actually have an opinion here. To me, the Mossberg 500/590 has more intuitive controls than the Rem 870. Tang safety and a slide release right behind the trigger guard. Nothing could be easier to operate at 3:00 in the morning, in the dark, right after the dog barks.

I also prefer a pump action, they are quick and reliable. At the skeet range and in the field, I use a Browning pump. So a pump-action 12 ga makes sense for me. That's why a Mossy 590 with a mag extension rests nearby while I sleep deeply and securely.

If 5.56 fails to tumble, fragment or expand...it is an ice pick.

Contrary to recent internet wisdom, a properly loaded shotgun (# 1 or # 4 buck) will over penetrate less than 5.56.
    In my experience....it depends on what the AR is running.

M193, M855, or some of the heavy 70gr+ OTM's? I agree with you.

45-62gr, thin jacketed varmint loads (NBT, VMax, Silvertip, etc)? They come apart after hitting Sheetrock or plaster.
    Last edited by Cuda66; August 9th, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
    arizona and graydude like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I like my 1975 Ithaca 37. Can't beat a pump for reliability and the older Ithaca's have no disconnect so you can slam fire one if you have to.

Me I would go Russian Veper 12 ..Harder to get now ..Get one that already has the folder opened as they are 922r oked ..They take 5-20 round mags ..And will run anything ..Well built and you dont need to rock the mags the mags in

And yes the M1-M4 are all great guns ..I like the M1 9 rounds on the pre ban models smooth and cool

The 870 are good the old school ones esp just need to get use to the pump

One thing to note if a shotgun is post 1989 imported it is under 922r law ..Meaning 5 round only mag no folding stock etc etc ..Now most can be fitted with larger tubes or mags but you will need to do 922r or keep it stock ...Why any post 1989 shotgun you see is 5 round only

The old M1 hold 9 rounds as they are pre ban and some M4 the H20 models are true mag size as there was a group claiming that by NP3 coating all the parts here and "bulding" them here they were non 922r they feds said no they are still legal to own but only about 1k are out there and they hit 2-3k now
    GreenMan0352 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    In my experience....it depends on what the AR is running.

M193, M855, or some of the heavy 70gr+ OTM's? I agree with you.

45-62gr, thin jacketed varmint loads (NBT, VMax, Silvertip, etc)? They come apart after hitting Sheetrock or plaster.
    Maybe, maybe not. Nothing is 100%. Again, buckshot is always buckshot and the smaller pellets will over penetrate less.

I would avoid shotguns with vertical box mags. Plastic shells were not designed to be fed this way and can deform over time. Stick with tube mags.
    5lima30ret and Libertywheel like this.

The best shotgun is the one that you are the most familiar with and shoot the most providing the barrel length is short enough not to protrude too far.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    cthruit likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links