What are the best shotguns for self/home defense? - Page 3

What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?

This is a discussion on What are the best shotguns for self/home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have you considered a good used one like this unfired M1S90? http://www.gunbroker.com/item/667983201 My HD shotgun is it's cousin the Beretta 1201FP w/Inertia action. My preference ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?

Have you considered a good used one like this unfired M1S90?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/667983201

My HD shotgun is it's cousin the Beretta 1201FP w/Inertia action. My preference is a semi-auto over a pump. Very fast cycling, reliable and stays very clean since the gas isn't used to cycle the action. I haven't felt the need to replace it in the last 25 years that I have owned this gun. Can be ghost loaded for an extra round 7+1+1 capacity on the M1S90.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Buckshot is always buckshot.

If 5.56 fails to tumble, fragment or expand...it is an ice pick.

Contrary to recent internet wisdom, a properly loaded shotgun (# 1 or # 4 buck) will over penetrate less than 5.56.

Point being...you can have 30 rounds on tap in a one-handed, easily manipulated weapon. AR-15 in one hand...phone in the other. Can't really do that with a shot gun.

Less recoil, easier to manage. Calling a 5.56 an "ice pick" is just stupid.

How about you let me pop off a few rounds of .223/5.56 into you...and tell me if it's not a good home defense firearm :-)
    OldChap, 5lima30ret and munch520 like this.

I grab my old Mossy 500 when I hear a bump in the night. I use OO Buck. It is just me and the Mrs and 2 old dogs. We live in the country so don't worry about over penetration. My wife has a Mossberg Youth mod 20ga.
    Last edited by Okeechobee; August 10th, 2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: can't spell
    OldChap and 5lima30ret like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    Point being...you can have 30 rounds on tap in a one-handed, easily manipulated weapon. AR-15 in one hand...phone in the other. Can't really do that with a shot gun.

Less recoil, easier to manage. Calling a 5.56 an "ice pick" is just stupid.

How about you let me pop off a few rounds of .223/5.56 into you...and tell me if it's not a good home defense firearm :-)
    Some of our guys who were in Somalia might not have been impressed with 5.56 on skinnies.

Pros and cons to each, don't want to get more into the AR vs shotgun debate.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Some of our guys who were in Somalia might not have been impressed with 5.56 on skinnies.

Pros and cons to each, don't want to get more into the AR vs shotgun debate.
    Somalia was the result of fighting a war with equipment designed for a completely different kind of war. The 62 gr round was designed to penetrate Soviet body armor. You can achieve "ice pick" results with a number of similarly designed rounds - 30.06 AP comes to mind, as does 9mm FMJ. A proper defensive round in a 5.56 is devastating. I have some photos, but they are not fitting to post here.

Of the wounds I have seen, center of mass buckshot wounds are not really that dramatic - from the outside. X-rays tell a different story though. Shotguns and rifles create horrific injuries when loaded with the proper ammo.
    PAcanis, SatCong, MMinSC and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Somalia was the result of fighting a war with equipment designed for a completely different kind of war. The 62 gr round was designed to penetrate Soviet body armor. You can achieve "ice pick" results with a number of similarly designed rounds - 30.06 AP comes to mind, as does 9mm FMJ. A proper defensive round in a 5.56 is devastating. I have some photos, but they are not fitting to post here.

Of the wounds I have seen, center of mass buckshot wounds are not really that dramatic - from the outside. X-rays tell a different story though. Shotguns and rifles create horrific injuries when loaded with the proper ammo.
    True.

But no round designed to expand, or to tumble, or to fragment- does so 100% of the time.

Buckshot cannot fail to be buckshot.
    Nix and OldChap like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

I like the weatherby pump 20ga with the 18" barrel and the pistol grip
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Buckshot has it's limitations, too. Limited distance, poor patterning with some, heavier recoil in 12 and 20ga loads unless using boutique ammo...

But this was the shotgun thread until someone brought in the AR platform.
    Now if you want to bring in the AR platform that shoots shotgun shells, that's a different story. I love Saigas, but do not like the original 12ga AR shotgun. It just didn't feel right when I handled one. There are several other offerings out there now though. Wouldn't mind running into one in the wild.
    OldChap and MMinSC like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

OP, IMHO, a reliable shottie that you're comfortable shooting, loaded with #4 buck or better and equipped with a good white light, will do the job. But that's just the beginning. Yes, you need range time with the weapon to make sure you know how it patterns and handling drills, etc... But first and foremost, you need to unload it then walk through your home, looking at door and angles, how to maneuver the muzzle through doorways and around furniture and other obstacles. Be able to do it in the dark. Evaluate the distances you might have to shoot and what the spread with your barrel would look and what's behind the wall behind where your target would be if your target doesn't catch all the shot. Shotguns can be devastating weapons when used effectively. Learn to get the most out of it.
    graydude and Mark_in_wi like this.
    "Better to fight and fall than to live without hope." -- Volsung Saga C-14

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

I do know what the wound looks like on a 120 pound Weedmonkey, from number 4 buck hit within 5 yards. It sure beat the 5 to 6 rounds of 55 grain .223 from Nam.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

sgb
    I have a 870, have had it for decades ........... however it was replaced for primary home defense by AR-15's long ago. IF I was in the market for a new home defense shotgun I'd go with the MOSSBERG 930 SPX TACTICAL

OldChap, MMinSC, arizona and 1 others like this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    I've got an old Winchester 1300 Defender, a Browning Auto-5 slug gun, and a Remington lemon-87 slug gun. But, I'd like to have one of these:

Double Defense Shotgun | Stoeger Industries
    OldChap, MMinSC and 5lima30ret like this.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne, "The Shootist."

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    The "best" shotgun for home defense is one that is loaded.
    And one that goes bang when you pull the triger
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    I do know what the wound looks like on a 120 pound Weedmonkey, from number 4 buck hit within 5 yards. It sure beat the 5 to 6 rounds of 55 grain .223 from Nam.
    I see no need to argue the obvious. I will not post the photos I have, so you can either believe what I tell you, or not. It doesn't really matter. And as far as that is concerned, you can look up "5.56 wound photos" and get some pretty graphic ones for yourself. I don't have to go back to Vietnam to see what modern weapons do to the human body. They do their work still, and I've seen it up close and way too personal.

However, the thread is not about 5.56 rifles. It is about shotguns, so we should just agree to disagree and let it go at that.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    I've got an old Winchester 1300 Defender, a Browning Auto-5 slug gun, and a Remington lemon-87 slug gun. But, I'd like to have one of these:

Double Defense Shotgun | Stoeger Industries
    The Winchester 1300 Defender is one of the best shotguns ever made. It is really hard to short stroke one. They are that smooth. I guess everybody wants a double barrel for defense. However, they are fine until you need one more shot. The 1897 Winchester has pretty much eliminated the doubles from CAS competition. The double takes a lot of practice to master reloading, but even with a master running it, it is slower than a pump.
    Okeechobee and 5lima30ret like this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links