What are the best shotguns for self/home defense? - Page 4

What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?

This is a discussion on What are the best shotguns for self/home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I really like my Win 1300, but, oddly enough, the Mossy 590 is the shotty pulling night duty....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?

Nix
    I really like my Win 1300, but, oddly enough, the Mossy 590 is the shotty pulling night duty.
    OldChap, arizona and 5lima30ret like this.

As far as I'm concerned, if I'm using a shotgun in my house it ain't gonna make it to my shoulder! Point and shoot from the hip is fine by me. 870 or 500 is my choice. Or a side by side coach gun! I personally have no need for a tacticool shotgun with a bunch of added goobersmoocher! But that's just me. My weapons are tools and I wouldn't build a house with a gol plated hammer either!
    BuckJM53 and 5lima30ret like this.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    The Winchester 1300 Defender is one of the best shotguns ever made. It is really hard to short stroke one. They are that smooth. I guess everybody wants a double barrel for defense. However, they are fine until you need one more shot. The 1897 Winchester has pretty much eliminated the doubles from CAS competition. The double takes a lot of practice to master reloading, but even with a master running it, it is slower than a pump.
    I gave my Son my 1300 defender, very quick action. I used it in three gun for a little while.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My favorite shotgun is the Remington 870 but at the moment my only shottie is a Mossberg 500. In practical terms is has been as good as an 870, and there are a couple of things I actually prefer with the Mossy (mostly the tang mounted safety). If it fits you correctly goes BANG! every time you pull the trigger it doesn't matter too much what you get. Just be sure to familiarize yourself with the gun, pattern it and get some trigger time on whichever model you choose.
    OldChap, BuckJM53 and 5lima30ret like this.

I don't know much of anything but I picked up a KSG. I wouldn't take it skeet shooting or turkey hunting, but it is a nice HDSG. Built for close quarters. No need to deck it all out with crazy optics and junk, it's a darn scatter gun

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    I've got an old Winchester 1300 Defender, a Browning Auto-5 slug gun, and a Remington lemon-87 slug gun. But, I'd like to have one of these:

Double Defense Shotgun | Stoeger Industries
    I like the Stoeger DD too but the capacity makes me cautious. I also own a Browning A5. Mine is a Light 12 from 1958. Such a great handling gun. Shoots very softly and swings easy. It was shot a lot. I mean a lot but we'll maintained. The brass rings or whatever that wear and eventually cause hard recoil and cracked stocks were maintained. Too long in my little house though.

I think my ideal hd shotgun would be a hybrid of the Shockwave concept but built on an A5 Light Twelve. 14" barrel and birdshead grip would be perfect for me.
    muzzleblast and OD* like this.

I'm a simple guy and have never felt the need for a tacticool shotgun. My Mossberg 500 is always at the ready and will get the job done.
    Okeechobee and xXxHeavy like this.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

The one you have in your hand at the time you need it!
    5lima30ret, Poppy42 and OD* like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I am a simple man, too, but I also realize the advantage of having certain sight aids on my long guns. That's why I have some with and some without, depending on their intended use.
    MMinSC, OldChap, Militant and 1 others like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Distinguished Member
    I've been using Remington M870s since 1969 with no significant issues. There are other good shotguns on the market. I have had some experience with the Benelli M4 and thought they were fine, too.

According to Shotgun Joe, double barrels are best, especially when one shoots them in the air from their balcony.
    OldChap, Okeechobee and OD* like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I am a simple man, too, but I also realize the advantage of having certain sight aids on my long guns. That's why I have some with and some without, depending on their intended use.
    I don't want to push the thread off topic, but I agree. The two things I add to mine are a side saddle and a light. I don't use the light all the time, but it is physically impossible to properly use a flashlight while using two hands on a shotgun. I don't mind it being there in case I ever need it.

@flintlock62 ...According to Uncle Joe, it must be your wife on the balcony with the double!
    flintlock62, PAcanis and arizona like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    High-Standard K-1200/K-120, if it was good enough for the King of Cool, it's good enough for me.

What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?-600px-get72-hs2.jpg
    OldChap, SatCong, PAcanis and 3 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I don't want to push the thread off topic, but I agree. The two things I add to mine are a side saddle and a light. I don't use the light all the time, but it is physically impossible to properly use a flashlight while using two hands on a shotgun. I don't mind it being there in case I ever need it.

@flintlock62 ...According to Uncle Joe, it must be your wife on the balcony with the double!
    I heard a prowler once, and was about to run out on the balcony and quickly remembered I don't have one! WHEW, that was close!
    OldChap and Cokeman like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Some folks have a tendency to short-stroke pump shotguns. I used to feel some level of contempt and/or pity for them, until I became one of them, after nearly thirty years of never short-stroking. With the help of an instructor, and much hard work, I became "cured," but then I bought a Benelli M2, anyway, because even though I had sorted-out the tendency to short-stroke, my right shoulder, wrist, hand, and thumb are not working so well, anymore, due to age, wear, and tear. I am left-eye dominant, so shoot long guns lefty, so my gimpy right arm usually works the pump. (Edited to add: Not saying that pumping a shotgun is what damaged my various right hand/arm/shoulder; an active lifestyle, overall, does tend to wear things out, over time.)

As for the shotguns, themselves, my first was an Ithaca 37 DS Police Special, whoch ran flawlessly, but when I started working for a police department, I had to follow their rules. I bought or traded for an S&W 3000, a near-design-copy of the Remington 870, to be my first duty shotgun, and switched to an HK/Benelli M1 Super 90 a few years later. The Benelli's stock was too skimpy for extended shooting of powerful loads, especially slugs, so I went back to pump guns, going with Remington 870 shotguns this time, using them from the early Nineties until adding the Benelli M2 late last year. The Comfortech stock, on the Benelli M2, is wonderful; I now wish I had switched back to Benelli as soon as the Comfortech stock became available. All of these shotguns have done their part for me, and I doubt I will change anything when I retire, and can use any shotgun I want, without having to follow PD rules. The Benelli M2 will remain my defensive shotgun, with my 870P in reserve.

My wife has her own defensive 870 Wingmaster, with a Surefire light fore-end. My reserve 870P is her reserve shotgun, too.
    OD*, OldChap and Chuck R. like this.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links