What are the best shotguns for self/home defense? - Page 7

What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?

This is a discussion on What are the best shotguns for self/home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Militant I'm aware of the type of Shotgun Chris Baker used Phaderus. But the reality is that I simply quoted Robert _S ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I'm aware of the type of Shotgun Chris Baker used Phaderus. But the reality is that I simply quoted Robert _S who originally posted the video and mentioned how it made him think about what he wants in a home defense shotgun. Maybe you should have quoted his post and commented about the shotgun being NFA and your wondering about the wisdom of using one for home defense instead of quoting my post because it had absolutely nothing to do with the shotgun itself but it was more about Chris Baker and the Lucky Gunner channel on Youtube being one of my favorites.
    Here is my opinion:
    I wouldn't spend the money on an NFA weapon, but I'd get the shortest, legally allowed barrel, coupled with the shortest stock I could get.

You want a tool you can move around with. My current shotgun is 48" long. It's not made for home defense.

My PPQ is set up with night sights (backup) and a 800 lumen flashlight. In the sort distances that are the interior of a home, it's my goto gun for home defense. It may not put the armed intruder down with one shot, but it'll put him down and the flash light will ensure he can't see what or exactly where he's shooting. If I had to go to a backup, that would be my AR. but most people don't like getting fired upon, so I doubt the guy is going to stick around long enough for me to get my rifle.

I don't have a home defense shotgun, but reason tells me the intruder is going to run as fast as he can after the first shot is fired. I'm not wanting to kill. I'm wanting to defend. If it requires I put them down, then so be it, but 99% of people, even criminals, aren't wanting to shed the ghost.
    munch520 likes this.

Know this is an old one but Ithaca is mentioned. I carried one in my patrol unit with #4 12 ga for years when I retired a couple of years ago I bought one since they were switching to the M4 Benneli. Since then they have traded those for 590A1’s and a few of the short barrels for hinge removal the gas system is great If kept spotless but in use the officers were reverting to pump after a round of the dirty Ammo being issued. Since they were carrying both the AR platform and 12 & 20 ga shotties almost all the 590’s were reconfigured to less lethal. We found the ones on ICE laughing at Tasers but a beanbag in the gut was getting better attention, cover was sometimes 45 minutes out from you.

Personally a 50 year old riot gun that’s been beat around in a car for years still working perfectly gets my vote.
    Grizzly2 likes this.

The one you're used to,and have practiced with. I started with a Remington 870, and eventually upgraded it with the Magpul SGA stock and forearm... Recently I invested in a Beretta 1301T as well, and have been really pleased with it. I added a sling and a velcro sidesaddle, and it's been excellent.
    OD* likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ya know....couple Mossys, couple of Saiga's, couple of Ithacas, couple of Rems...Ö..it's all good.
    OD* likes this.

I have a Mossy 500 but I've been thinking of the Remington V3 Tac 13 with a pistol brace. Does anyone have one or have you shot one?

I have a Remington 1187.

OD* likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pscyclepath View Post
    The one you're used to,and have practiced with. I started with a Remington 870, and eventually upgraded it with the Magpul SGA stock and forearm... Recently I invested in a Beretta 1301T as well, and have been really pleased with it. I added a sling and a velcro sidesaddle, and it's been excellent.
    Exactly how I plan to set mine up, just pretty stock with the with the exception of the Esstac Shotgun Cards and Magpul sling. Mine finally showed up, but I was delayed, I don't know what's going on, that's twice out of the last four purchases.
    OldChap likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    I have a Remington 1187.

Nice SC.

Like the idgit I am, I let a buddy talk me out of mine.
    SatCong and OldChap like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I rolled a running turkey at a good 30 yards like it was a passing bird without hesitation. Only one pellet hit the breast and the rest did a number on the neck and head. It was my Father -in laws old 870 with a short stock, old forearm and a used Rem 20" barrel with firesights and a extra full screw in choke I picked up. I think I'll pick up an extended tube and a shell holder for the stock. It's been my turkey gun for years.

Right now though I've got the cut down Stevens double on the ready. Not the best at 22" but if I'd shortened it anymore, I saw it's regulation starting to separate. They are nice at about 18 1/2.

I grew up with Ithaca pumps and wish I'd bought one of the traded in prison models years ago. Another time when I was low on funds a field grade version of the Winchester 1897 from the 1950's turned up for sale in very clean condition. I tried it out and loved it but alas, the mortgage came first.
    OD*, OldChap and scottync like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

I have expensive and I have inexpensive.

For an inexpensive home defense shotgun, this IAC Hawk 982 is world class. This thing is a Chinese clone of a Remington 870 and is so close to the Remington that everything from an 870 will fit on it, except the barrel. I don't know if they are still this good, but mine has literally been beaten to death and has never missed a beat. I think I paid less than $200 for it, out the door with 8% sales tax. Like most, the only accessories are a sling, a Velcro sidesaddle, and a light.

What are the best shotguns for self/home defense?-hawk-982.jpg

It is all factory except for a Hogue 12" LOP stock and foregrip kit - made for an 870. It does double duty with one I inherited, a Winchester 1300 Defender. I keep the more expensive ones locked in the safe. Like most, the only accessories are a sling, a Velcro sidesaddle, and a light.
    OD* likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Found my Son a NORINCO copy of the 1897 slam fire capability and ended up selling it. Nothing wrong with it just needed the $$ to put towards an SP-1 Colt that I doubt had a 10 round magazine fired. I ran an endoscope down the barrel, micrometer every inch and that’s after a 4 hour drive for a face to face buy. Then turns out I had inherited an original ‘97 from a cousin that taught me to hunt 50+ years ago. Drove 12 hours to get it along with a safe full & house wasn’t aware I’d even been in the will. But I found another Ithaca 37 inside marked for the Federal Government.
    I can remember the days that every grocery store, post office and FBI gun locker had either a 37 or a Winchester. These days don’t buy the Turkish shotguns unless you’re a gunsmith. Winchester 1300 is a solid bedside protector as is an older Remington 870. Just make sure you’re ammo is quality and go low or high. I still do monthly ride along to keep my certification and started finding body armor on the ones we can get to before they can run. Lots of people from NY, NJ have moved here and are so used to being robbed they don’t check into defending thereselves.

Without reading the previous 100+ replies, I'll give you yet another opinion based on my personal experience. First "pump vs. Semi-auto": If you have enough experience/training to make sure you don't "short-stroke" a pump when the adrenaline is flowing then it's a perfectly viable "show-stopper". In my opinion there isn't much (if any gun) that will stop a "bad guy" inside a structure better than a "SG' when loaded with proper ammo. I personally prefer a "semi-auto" due to speed of cycling, fewer stoppages, and I can mount any desired accessories without obstructing the "pump action". (along with the fact that these days you can buy some pretty darn good semi's for a reasonable price).

Inside a structure (such as most residences}, a 20 GA is going to do anything you need and the recoil will not be prohibitive for you wife. There is no way a pump can put "00" down range as quickly as a good semi-auto. I still have several "pumps" (Rem. 870, Mossy 590 A etc.), but if I anticipate serious use of a "SG" I am going to pick up my Beretta 1301 Tactical, or Stoger M3000. If you have limited experience with a "pump" then that makes a better argument to get a decent "semi-auto", real life is not the place to experience the learning curve, IMHO.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Interesting info!

I want a shotgun the wife and kids can use if necessary like the Remington 870 Express 20 ga. 7shot Knoxx SpecOps Stock.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links