Do You Scope Your AR? - Page 2

Do You Scope Your AR?

This is a discussion on Do You Scope Your AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes. My all-around AR, which also happens to be my 3-gun AR, has a Leupold 1.5-4x with the Firedot SPR reticle (like the one in ...

View Poll Results: You have one AR - just one. Do you scope it?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 46.92%
  • No

69 53.08%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Do You Scope Your AR?

Senior Moderator
    Yes. My all-around AR, which also happens to be my 3-gun AR, has a Leupold 1.5-4x with the Firedot SPR reticle (like the one in the OP, but a green dot).

If I could only have 1 AR, it would have something like that scope on it (or probably that scope). It can be used really fast close in, and has enough magnification to be useful out to a few hundred yards.

I really think something like a 1-4x or 1-6x is about an ideal "all around gun" optic. Unless you are trying to shoot >500 yards on a regular basis, but that is also at the top end of the range for a 5.56 16" gun.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Yes. My all-around AR, which also happens to be my 3-gun AR, has a Leupold 1.5-4x with the Firedot SPR reticle (like the one in the OP, but a green dot).

If I could only have 1 AR, it would have something like that scope on it (or probably that scope). It can be used really fast close in, and has enough magnification to be useful out to a few hundred yards.

I really think something like a 1-4x or 1-6x is about an ideal "all around gun" optic. Unless you are trying to shoot >500 yards on a regular basis, but that is also at the top end of the range for a 5.56 16" gun.
    I have the 1x4 on my lever. I love the circle. Again, I wish I had gotten the illuminated. The one the guy had on his AR was a 2x7. It worked.

The green is considerably more expensive no? Why green over the red?

Lead Moderator
    Some are scoped.
    Some are Red Dotted.
    Some just have regular sights.

Because I don't have just one AR I didn't vote. I think I'm down to 19.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Mine is not a hunting rifle. A scope is too bulky and fragile for what I ask of the rifle.

I did use it for 2 years to hunt with the young'un. I put a mid grade 3x9 on it for target practice and deer season. It came off after season. I don't see it going back on. There are far better rifles for varmint.
    drift likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

flh
    I had just one AR for a while no scope , I built it from many different manufacturers , "Frankenstein" now I just got a upper from PSA in 300 aac , now that I have two AR's I'm thinking of a 1x4 for one of them for 3gun competitions ..
    drift likes this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

I have to be honest, the poll is closer than I thought it would be. I didn't know so many people scoped up their AR's. Nice.

My Armalite AR-10 7.62X51mm has a Burris XTR 3X-12X-50mm. My Armalite M-15 A4 Target has a Burris AR332 which is a fixed 3X scope with a reticle that is black or can be red or green with the battery on. My other three AR-15s have iron sights only.

Do You Scope Your AR?-black-guns-matter-1024x768-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpg
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

My AR (223wylde) came with a lower end illuminated scope on it (eye relief is horrible, but works) grouping 2" at 100yds - nothing to write home about. I'm leaving the scope on for now as the it's my only long distance (if you want to call it that) rifle in semi-auto. 300blk 10.5" has a red dot and that's what I'd put on the AR15 if I had a larger caliber semi-auto like an AR10. That'll have to wait with the 45-70 OR 30-30 in the crosshairs.
    drift likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    My only AR is an A2 with carry handle and is not scoped. If I had a flat top type I'd have a scope on it because of my aging eyes.
    drift likes this.
    Joe

Depends on the AR...

If I'm going 16", I prefer red-dot and irons. Just more inline with how I'm going to use it.

If it is an 18" or longer (I prefer 18"), I'll put a low powered scope. My FDE build has a 1.5-6x Weaver on it. But I also have offset irons on that.

Out of the three built ARs, two have red-dots, and one has a scope. I do have a .22 upper with a scope that would go on one of the lowers with a red-dot, but that is it.

And I do have a partially built lower, which I will finish when I move. That, I was actually thinking something different... maybe 20" with a red-dot. Unsure, but don't see the need for another scoped AR.
    drift likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    I have to be honest, the poll is closer than I thought it would be. I didn't know so many people scoped up their AR's. Nice.
    The great thing about the AR is they can be built for just about any purpose.
    drift likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I didn't vote, but I have two ARs with red dots, and one AR (300 Blk) with a 3x scope. I consider the 5.56s more HD firearms and the 300 Blk as a hunting firearm.

When I only had one AR, it had a red dot.
    drift likes this.

Actually, I can go either way. I have both an Eotech and a scope available that can be quickly switched out on my AR. 90% of the time, my Eotech is on it, but I can mount my Vortex scope very quickly to use it for long range.
    drift likes this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

VIP Member
    Only one AR (for now). No scope, my IDF buddy sent me a Meprolight optic for it last year. Love it!. Also has BUIS.
    drift likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I have the two AR'S at the moment.
    Since I'm still in CA for 10 more months, I'm playing their stupid "Assault weapons" game.
    The featureless is 5.56.
    The normal one is .22lr.
    I have another lower saved for after we move to AZ.
    The featureless will get a normal stock.
    The rimfire will get the red dot (that was on the 5.56)
    And the remaining lower will get a 20" upper, the carry handle off the rimfire, and an A2 stock (like in the solo pic, only longer).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    drift and G26Raven like this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links