The Official Lever Thread

This is a discussion on The Official Lever Thread within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lets have a little structure going on here. Not everyone is familiar with levers, and though a simple picture might stir the emotions of a ...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree731Likes

Thread: The Official Lever Thread

Lets have a little structure going on here. Not everyone is familiar with levers, and though a simple picture might stir the emotions of a lever lover... lets give those not drinking the cool aid (yet) the 5 W's to feed their curiosity, and get them to see the light.

1. What: Manufacturer and Model
    2. When: When was the rifle/Pistol made - when did you get it?

3. Picture! We always need a picture! Pictures.

4/5. Who and Where: This will preface "Why" - tell us who you are and where you live (mountains, flatland's?).

6. Why: Tell us why you got it. Tell us why you love or hate it. Sell it! What accessories did you put on the thing if any.

When I get home tonight, I'll do mine. I have no photos on the work computer.

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    As of right now, I personally only own two lever guns. The Winchester 94 I've mentioned once in a while on the forum is and always will be my father's. Same goes for the Savage 99, which was my great-grandfather's.

I own two Henrys. A Big Boy Steel in .44 Rem Mag, and a Henry Golden Boy in .22LR. Both are 2016 Vintage.

The Official Lever Thread-101_0716.jpg

I live in Wisconsin and large game shots are usually within 150yds, least 'round my parts.

The Big Boy was a 30-30 I won at a raffle last year. I asked the donating gun shop owner if I could just swap calibers since I actually wanted the other gun on the board (a .44 Big Boy) so she obliged. Won it about a month before a hog hunting trip my dad was going on and I was invited, but wasn't quite sure if I wanted to fork over the money for it being a poor college student and all. Well, winning that lever was the sign I needed to go on the trip. Took a 300lb sow with it last October in Tennessee. If I get the chance to go deer hunting this year, I might carry it instead of my usual 7mm-08.

The Golden Boy was a gift to me from my father, who also has always wanted one. The gun will never see the woods, as it is too pretty. I'll pick up a blued model for that purpose. It plinks well at 50yds and is fun to try to ring drums out to 150yds with. I replaced the original lever with a big loop shortly after getting the gun, but I'm still not sure if I prefer it over the regular lever.

Edit: Oh, and I have a Uberti Yellowboy in .22LR I bought when I was young(er) thinking it'd be the same as a Golden Boy. Oh, how foolish I was. The gun could anchor a truck and it has a barn door spread at 50yds. Looks purdy when shined up (not shined very well in this old pic) and its only good for decoration.

The Official Lever Thread-100_1616-2-.jpg
    Last edited by wizard7mm08; September 28th, 2017 at 08:54 PM.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Marlin 39a 22lr lever. It's super accurate and not a scaled down lever gun. They've been made a very long time. Mine's a 1953 made.

Rossi 357 mag lever. Hardly any recoil, with the right loads, it duplictes 30-30 ballistics so it's good to 75-100 yrds on game, or standard 158 grainers for plinking/defensive work without looking like a black evil rifle.
    drift, bmcgilvray, craze and 5 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    You're just disgusting Brownie, mentioning your Marlin lever-action .22 like that. I've wanted a 39A for quite a while. I'm envious. There have been a few Marlin 39s bopping around the gun shows I work for the past year or so. Been husbanding funds more since to retirement and some new-found additional pressures on income that could otherwise be frittered away on neato guns and so haven't "pulled the trigger" so to speak. That 39A represents a really good choice for any shooter. Would seem that a .22 rim fire lever-action should be a staple in a shooter's lever-action rifle battery.

Lever-action rifles are fun and useful. It's entertaining to putter around with them at the range. They are truly grand for plinking in the field. They are effective for a great many hunting chores, and one could make an argument that a good "high-capacity" lever-action is a reasonable substitute for the so-called "assault rifle."

I like 'em. Will have to post the ones here later.
    craze, Old Man, AzQkr and 5 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Here's my only lever gun. A marlin 336c 30-30. This pic is from the mid 1980s, my first deer taken at 150 yards. My Dad bought me this gun shortly before this pic. Still got it still take it into the woods some minus the scope.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

All Winchester '94 rifles. I live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon with the coast mountain range and the coast to the west. The Cascade mountains and high desert are to the east. Portland is to the North.

1969 Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative .30-30 with 26" octagon barrel. It was NIB when I bought it a couple of years ago. I cut the strap, took it to the range, and shot it.
    Bought used .45 Colt with 20" barrel to go with my Colt SAA and Uberti Cattleman .45 Colt revolvers.
    Bought used .44 magnum with 16.1" barrel to go with my Colt, Ruger, and S&W .44 magnum revolvers.

The Official Lever Thread-winchesters-1024x754-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpg
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Henry Big Boy .357mag.
    It was a present for my wife for our 25th anniversary.
    "Lurch" has been her nickname since she was 5 years old.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator
    Awww ... I love the receiver engraving!
    drift, OD*, bill35738 and 1 others like this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

I only have one lever, a Marlin 336 in 30-30.

Have no idea when it was made but bought a few years ago at a gun show in Fayetteville.

The Official Lever Thread-marlin.jpg

I live in eastern North Carolina (sand hills).

Didn't have a lever and had some empty space in the safe. I have since added a scope to it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Senior Moderator
    LimaCharlie;

I think one of those long-barreled 94 commemorative rifles like yours would be the way to do .30-30 in the Winchester 94. Was always intrigued by the notion of the .30-30 from out of a 24-inch barrel. Might be ".300 Savage-ish" in performance, especially with a 150 grain bullet?

Many years ago I was given the task of "restoring" three Winchester commemorative rifles that had been stored by a friend of mine who went to live in England for a few years. They were left at his wife's parent's house. When he returned, water had gotten to them in some way and spoiled the surface finishes on the rifles. I was suppose to clean them up. There was little that I could do. One can't return steel to the rust pits.

They were still sound and bores were fine. I tried to talk him into selling me the NRA centennial commemorative because, of the three, it had the longer 24-inch barrel. I was going to make it into a shooter. He wouldn't budge, had bought them all as an investment, and seemed to want to stubbornly will them to still be valuable though ravaged by rust.

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    Henry Big Boy .357mag.
    It was a present for my wife for our 25th anniversary.
    "Lurch" has been her nickname since she was 5 years old.

She is definitely a keeper. The gun is nice too.
    bmcgilvray, drift, craze and 2 others like this.
    Retired United States Air Force 1983-2004

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullthumper View Post
    She is definitely a keeper. The gun is nice too.
    Had to hide it for 7 months

drift, Skullthumper and OD* like this.

Marlin 336W Package gun. Have had it about 6 years, mine is a pre Remlin model.

No pics, y'all know what it looks like.

Wanted a .30-something defensive rifle, max range I can see is 150 yards in my suburban area. Wanted the ability to get through cover better than can be done with 5.56, if it came to that.

Almost got a bolt action, but the lever was cheaper, and the mag tube can be topped off while the gun is still in battery.

Lever gun was priced right, well below a semi auto. I added a 10 round elastic butt cuff, otherwise bone stock. 10 plus 6 in the tube of .30-30 should get me through anything realistic.

Tactical stuff is all the rage, but lever guns are the original combat repeaters, and they can still do the job. The fact that they are now considered hunting and not combat guns is a bonus.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

I only have the one. It was a gift from my father. I really didnt have a need for it, but my dad wanted me to have a legacy firearm. It is a henry big boy 44 mag. Pictured with it, is my Ruger redhawk 44 mag....

Name:  magnums.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  17.0 KB
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    1/2) Top gun is a Winchester Model 94 30-30 from 1958
    2nd is a Henry 22 carbine
    3rd Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
    Bottom Rossi 44 mag

3)
    The Official Lever Thread-img_4238.jpg

4) Live on the East bank of the Rockies

5) Bought the Winchester off a friend, who bought it off a guy in the early 80s and let sit in his closet. I actually took it bear hunting with me the time I got the bear, but never got it out of the truck. The other guns have no value other than monetary.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links