Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 Gauge

This is a discussion on Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 Gauge within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As the title reads, Mossberg took a little bit more time than Remington even though Mossberg released the 12g Shockwave first, but they now offer ...

Like Tree22Likes
  • 4 Post By wizard7mm08
  • 2 Post By Dave909
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 4 Post By 10thmtn
  • 2 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By wizard7mm08
  • 3 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 3 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By CDW4ME

Thread: Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 Gauge

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar

As the title reads, Mossberg took a little bit more time than Remington even though Mossberg released the 12g Shockwave first, but they now offer the Shockwave in 20g. Personally, between the two options I would have preferred the 20g flavor and now that its available (FB page says shipping to distributors this week), I reckon its going on "The List". Figured I'd announce it to fellow members.

I prefer Mossberg over Remington in general mostly due to the tang safety and I personally believe that a tang safety is superior on a platform such as this.

I won't bother with a picture, because it looks identical to the 12g version. But here is a link to Mossberg's website. 590 Shockwave - 6 Shot 20 Gauge | O.F. Mossberg & Sons
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Just as its older brother has, that thing will sell like crazy. Very smart move by them.
    5lima30ret and HoustonB77 like this.

That 20 ga will probably make my ever expanding bucket list of guns!
    Libertywheel and wizard7mm08 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Decisions, decisions...........which version do I want? 12 or 20? Perhaps both?!!!!!

Joe

The 12 gauge is more versatile. If you want less recoil (and more shells in the tube) get the OpSol adapter and Aguila mini shells. My Mossy 500 is set up this way, love it.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Sweet now I want one of each.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Ive got the 12, now one for Momma.
    bill35738 and wizard7mm08 like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I have the 12 and the recoil is not at all as bad as you might think. I have shot everything from buck shot to bird shot with no problems. If you want bad recoil try the Bond arms 410. That sucker will darn near take your hand off.

I just picked up my 12ga last night with 2 boxes of mini shells and an adapter. I have talon grips on order.

Personally I like the versatility of the 12ga better, but that 20ga is going to be sweet and sell like crazy.
    "Meaningful and insightful quote I saw in a bathroom at a middle of the road steakhouse over a picture of a meadow."
    - Someone Smart

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    My father has the 12g, I've shot it and yes its not too bad.

I'm just a 20g guy in general unless its turkey season (12g or 10g). I told him yesterday that they are now offering the 20g version since he too likes 20g the most (wonder where I got it from...). Sounds like he'll probably beat me to one and I'll get to try it out some day. He has a 20g loading press so he or I can concoct whatever we want to stuff it with, though I look at it more as a play thing than a truly practical HD weapon (but knowing most members don't share my opinion, I posted it in the defensive long gun forum).
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Senior Moderator
    Posted this on another forum on which I participate.

Wallll ... I'd taken a fairly dim view of the Shockwave, even said so on another forum, thinking it was mostly a novelty gimmick. Was unaware that my brother-in-law had the hots for one. After experiencing the Shockwave, it has to be said that it has its place. It is a beast and quite heavy besides. I thought it had a steel receiver until Bo pointed out that it is the regular ol' aluminum alloy Mossberg shotgun receiver. The barrel's thick, especially around the chamber. The gun's a chunk. Bo showed it to me back when I was out in August. I speculated that the grip would not be conducive to control as it felt both too large in diameter (even for me) and had a slick-feeling surface. Shooting it did not show the grip to be deficient, even with sweaty hands.

I don't do a lot of hip-shooting, but once I quit shooting the thing to the left I found that I could rain on a piece of "ringing steel" that we were using as a target with ease. Required shifting the feet to reorient oneself to the target. Bo already had the knack.

Patterned effectively out to the 15 yards or so that it was being used. A load of buckshot would remain within a torso at that distance. Quite tight the patterns were at closer ranges on targets such as tumble weeds and the dirt on the ground at various distances in front of us. Bo did a bit of weed-grubbing with it out in front of where we were standing and it's a first rate tool for crab grass extraction.

One-handed "pistol-ing" just had to be tried. The piece just begged for it. I'd determined to do it and inquired if Bo had tried it. He said that he had. "Anything you can do I can do better" from "Annie Get Your Gun" comes to mind. In the event, it was do-able, recoil was "manageable", and so could be useful at short ranges in emergency situations, if practiced. I only saw my videoed efforts on the tiny screen of Bo's camera (phone?) and without my reading glasses so didn't see much. It didn't have the slightest dab of muzzle flip, but only recoiled straight back. This was due to the stock configuration though I didn't realize it until seeing the video. Pretty silly-looking I was to be sure.

It is a hand-full but not nearly as rough a customer as one might think, as long as one minds his grip and his control of the thing. The weight offers a real assist in control. It's a kind of firearm that we've all seen before that would bite you in some manner with its recoil only if you became sloppy in your shooting technique. A handy nylon safety strap is fitted to the fore end. This could be viewed as a sort of "seat belt" in case things got away from the shooter. I don't think it came into play for me and it was unobtrusive otherwise. I've heard that the American Dental Association is lobbying to have the strap deleted. They are looking out for their dentist members who would appreciate the extra dental reconstruction work that is being missed because of the fore end strap.

It certainly would be maneuverable within the confines of a vehicle, more so than most any firearm capable of delivering similar power and "thump." One's ears might never be the same if he touched off a round from the driver's seat, but the prospective car-jacker wouldn't ever be the same either, to a much more severe extent.

We had a laugh, speculating that we could take over lawless New York City, control crowds in Little Rock to Memphis I-40 traffic jams, and be just generally bad-to-the-bone while stalking the concourse at the San Angelo coliseum at all-night gun shows (which is where I'll be this weekend).
    svgheartland, BigJon10125 and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OK, everyone head over to Hickok45's site for the demo of this 'soft shooting' must-have.

Right now we just have the two 12 ga at once

I'm back-and-forth on the 12 gauge vs. 20 gauge Mossy Shockwave. The one thing that moves me closer to the 20 gauge is that the receiver is lighter & thinner than the 12. The absence of Aguila (and now Federal) short-shells in 20 gauge doesn't concern me much. Yes, the increase in capacity is interesting, yet if 6 rounds won't solve my problem I've found myself in a very, VERY tough spot.
    ETXhiker, OldVet and Thanis like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Late to the party, but

My 20 ga Shockwave
    Laser helps learn how to point the Shockwave so its handy even though just a light might be sufficient.
    I've shot a pistol grip 12 GA before, did not like; this 20 GA with birds head grip however, recoil not too bad.
    From a few yards away, used laser, all 20 #3 buck on target.
    Could this thing be any handier .... I doubt it.
    Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 Gauge-shockwave1.jpg
    Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 Gauge-shockwave2.jpg
    Nmuskier likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Sponsored Links