I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them - Page 3

I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

This is a discussion on I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 5lima30ret If you think .50 cal cans are heavy, don't even think about 20mm cans! I have a couple that are easily ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    If you think .50 cal cans are heavy, don't even think about 20mm cans! I have a couple that are easily over 75lbs!
    So do I. You can put over 1,000 rounds of 45 in a 50 cal ammo can.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I moved away from cans. I use a locker.

In the beginning was the word. Before all else, the word. So we speak as if words matter, because they do.
    ― Dean Koontz

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I moved away from cans. I use a locker.

Nice, but that would be little hard for me to throw in the back of my truck to go shooting.
    Havok, rjinga, 5lima30ret and 2 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Nice, but that would be little hard for me to throw in the back of my truck to go shooting.
    That's why they invented the range bag. : )
    In the beginning was the word. Before all else, the word. So we speak as if words matter, because they do.
    ― Dean Koontz

That's why they invented the range bag. : )
    My range bags are full. So when I go out to play, I grab one 50 cal box with maybe 1,100 rounds in it and a 50 cal box of 10mm with 1,100 to 1,200 rounds.. That could be little hard on the range bag and ME. As you see I do it a little different then you. I'm just a old man.
    9uc likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    My range bags are full. So when I go out to play, I grab one 50 cal box with maybe 1,100 rounds in it and a 50 cal box of 10mm with 1,100 to 1,200 rounds.. That could be little hard on the range bag and ME. As you see I do it a little different then you. I'm just a old man.
    So you're shooting at least $700 dollars worth of ammo every time you go to the range?
    ― Dean Koontz

So you're shooting at least $700 dollars worth of ammo every time you go to the range?
    I didn't say that. I just get box or two of ammo that I want to play with. I'm not going to count out ammo that I think I might shoot. This ammo was for my action shooting days. It's just 230 grain ball doing about 840 FPS. I think I still have two to three boxes of 45 left. Just play ammo.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

.50 SAW boxes are good range cans. I keep my storing ammo in 40mm cans.

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam Vincent (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

I started using the surplus 50 cal storage can back in "78 to store meters and speciality tools I used in the Pool service business to keep them from rusting from the exposure to chlorine and other caustic materials Fast forward to April '07 when I finally decided it was time to buy a handgun. At age 60, I found out that the 50s hold more than I want to carry so I decided on the 7.652/30cal ammo cans. Depending on packaging and/or caliber each can will hold from 6y to 8 boxes of ammo. I now have roughly 40 of the 7.62 cans, not all for ammo. I not only store my stock of ammo, I also use them for storing my seldom handguns and the loaded mags that I use for range firing. Since moving back to Texas, especially SE coastal plains of Texas, I have added the desiccant pack to all the containers to protect the ammo. I recently did a light spray touchup using the new camo paints and the gray primer on the edges of the can for my not so neat marker identification. With having limited storage, I use the Home Depot milk crates to containerize the ans. cans. Three cans per container, but stackable and can move 3-4 containers at a time with a dolly.

I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them-ammo-cans-2-.jpg
    atctimmy likes this.
    USAF, Retired
    ✟✟✟ Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 ✟✟✟
    Life Member: VFW, VVA, DAV, VSPA, NRA

Its doesnt matter to me. What ever a can get the cheapest plastic or surplus. I got a bunch of 9 mm that came in a free plastic ammo can ! Most, of not all my ammo I reload myself so if I run out of cans I tend to buy surplus just because its cheaper. Its not like it makes a difference storage wise although plastic is considerably lighter.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozz10mm View Post
    I use metal cans exclusively. I buy the magnetic labels from AmmoCanMagnets.Com LLC I don't know of any place to get the cans cheap. I usually buy grade 2 from Ammo Can Man or Sportsman's Guide when they have free shipping. With Ammo Can Man, the more you buy the cheaper they get and I think shipping is always free. Here's a link to Grade 1 cans. If you go Grade 2, you can get them for about 8 bucks each shipped when you buy 5 or 6. 30 Cal Used Ammocan | Ammo Can Man

IMG_1948 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]
    Is anybody else's OCD freaking out because his cans aren't organized.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Is anybody else's OCD freaking out because his cans aren't organized.
    LOL. Old picture. They are organized now.
    atctimmy likes this.

Most recent set-up

Top shelf, left to right: If I only have time to grab one thing, the .50 cal can has one 4-pouch bandolier with four G3 mags loaded with 80 rounds of 7.62x51 ammo for my PTR 91, one 2-magazine belt pouch loaded with 30 rounds of 9mm (in two mags) for my Sig P229, and 120 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips for my SKS (the stripper clips will either go in a bandolier or 3-clip belt pouches, depending on what Santa brings me). The first plastic box is for .308 boxed ammo (mostly hunting rounds that were given to me). The second plastic box is for empty G3 magazines. The last plastic box is a catch-all.

Middle shelf, left to right: The 1st two .30 cal cans are labelled for 7.62x51 boxed ammunition. Depending on how the ammo is packaged, I can get about 120 to 320 rounds in each can. If I don't get ammo for X-mas, I'll order more right after. The third .30 cal can contains 7.62x39 boxed ammunition. When it's full it holds 480 rounds. The last two .30 cal cans contain 400 rounds each of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips.

Bottom shelf, left to right: The three .50 cal cans each hold three 4-pouch bandoliers, so that's 12 magazines with 240 rounds of 7.62x51 ammunition per can. The last .30 cal can is for boxed 9mm ammunition. It currently has 120 rounds.
    Bozz10mm likes this.
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bozz10mm View Post
    I use metal cans exclusively. I buy the magnetic labels from AmmoCanMagnets.Com LLC I don't know of any place to get the cans cheap. I usually buy grade 2 from Ammo Can Man or Sportsman's Guide when they have free shipping. With Ammo Can Man, the more you buy the cheaper they get and I think shipping is always free. Here's a link to Grade 1 cans. If you go Grade 2, you can get them for about 8 bucks each shipped when you buy 5 or 6. 30 Cal Used Ammocan | Ammo Can Man

IMG_1948 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]
    Was so fixed on the subject of ammo storage and using milk crates to consolidate the ammo cans for portability I did not notice your use of the milk crates for storage of water. Do you buy and refill or are those all new sealed containers. I've been doing bottled water and keep on hand and make sure I label use by date and rotate the stock.
    USAF, Retired
    ✟✟✟ Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 ✟✟✟
    Life Member: VFW, VVA, DAV, VSPA, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 9uc View Post
    Was so fixed on the subject of ammo storage and using milk crates to consolidate the ammo cans for portability I did not notice your use of the milk crates for storage of water. Do you buy and refill or are those all new sealed containers. I've been doing bottled water and keep on hand and make sure I label use by date and rotate the stock.
    I bought the gallon jugs for storage 15 years ago from a local water shop. One of those places that sells RO water by the gallon. I have 16 of them. In the Walmart milk crates, they are stackable. They are a lot thicker and sturdier than the jugs Ozarka comes in. Not one has ever leaked, but I do have about a dozen Ozarka jugs, also filled with tap water, and some of those have developed leaks after a couple of years.

I also have four more 7 gallon water containers that are filled with tap water. Unfortunately, those are not so stackable. And, LOL, if you think a full ammo can is heavy, I figure 7 gallons of water, plus the container weighs right at 58 lbs. So, to answer your question, they are all filled with tap water from the kitchen faucet and not treated with anything.

I know, according to some, that the water should be changed out annually. Others say treated water, like the chlorinated water that the city provides, will last indefinitely. Because it is such a PITA to do, I end up waiting years to do it. Meanwhile, I do keep a case of the Ozarka bottled water in rotation. Also, I have 5 cases of canned water. It is expensive, but has a 50 year shelf life. Expensive, but gives me peace of mind.

https://theepicenter.com/blue-can-em...ater-case.html

If worst comes to worst, one of these water purifiers could be a life saver. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FM9OBQS...a-310743507000

I have one of the Family Life Straws, plus the smaller Life Straw. https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Per.../dp/B006QF3TW4

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links