I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

This is a discussion on I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had most of my ammunition in metal containers already, but after further reading and YouTube viewing, I decided to go with all metal even ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

I had most of my ammunition in metal containers already, but after further reading and YouTube viewing, I decided to go with all metal even for short-term static storage. I think Iíll use my three Plano plastic boxes for range trips, or some type of non-ammunition storage. And, given the weight, going forward I think Iím going to focus on metal .30 cal boxes for almost everything. SoÖ if anyone has a good source for inexpensive containers, please let me know!

(Yes, thatís all I have right now, but everybody has to start somewhere.) Originally Iíd tried to label the cans with my wifeís old hand-squeeze label maker. And when I say ďoldĒ I mean 25+ years old (including the label tape). Along with being too small to read from more than a foot away, the labels had a tendency to just fall off. So, I played around with the font and type size on my laptop, printed off a page, cut them to size and attached with shipping tape.

(Yes, I realize that the handles on the three .50 cal cans covers the bottom of the labels.) However, with the exception of these containers, as I said above, Iíll be moving to .30 cal cans whenever possible. Therefore, just seeing ď7.62x51Ē on a .50 cal box will tell me exactly whatís in it. Each one of these cans contains the same thing: three 4-pouch bandoliers with 12 20-round G3 magazines in them (240 rounds each; 720 rounds total) for my PTR 91 rifle. These are for a grab-and-go WROL situation. The one .30 cal can is my current remaining boxed 7.62x51 ammunition. (Yes, I know I need to buy some more. My favorite online ammo seller is currently out of my favorite surplus ammo.)

The two .30 cal cans on the left each contain 400 rounds loaded on stripper clips for my SKS rifle. Iíll dip into these containers as needed for range trips (and then reload the stripper clips from the boxed ammo later). They could also be used in a grab-and-go WROL situation. The .50 cal can is about 4/5th full of boxed ammunition and it is heavy! So heavy that I donít even want to lug it upstairs to weigh it on the bathroom scale. Iíll be moving the ammunition to .30 cal cans ASAP.
    sdprof, yooper71, darbo and 9 others like this.
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Senior Moderator
    I use GI cans for most of my commercial ammo and label them similar to your method. In terms of economy of space, I find the larger ones to be more efficient than the smaller ones, especially if your ammo is from different vendors with different size boxes. Pretty much depends on what you're trying to store - I like to have spares on hand in each size.

FWIW, my large cans are marked for .50 M2 as well as for linked 5.56.
    5lima30ret and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I use metal cans exclusively. I buy the magnetic labels from AmmoCanMagnets.Com LLC I don't know of any place to get the cans cheap. I usually buy grade 2 from Ammo Can Man or Sportsman's Guide when they have free shipping. With Ammo Can Man, the more you buy the cheaper they get and I think shipping is always free. Here's a link to Grade 1 cans. If you go Grade 2, you can get them for about 8 bucks each shipped when you buy 5 or 6. 30 Cal Used Ammocan | Ammo Can Man

IMG_1948 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I also like the metal ammo cans. I have a couple of the plastic ones, but don't really care for them.

I label them with an old Brother Label maker, much smaller label than you have, but still legible. I like the smaller ones for 22 LR and 5.56/223, but prefer the larger ones for everything else.

I mark my metal Army surplus ammo cans with a Pilot paint marker on the top. If i want to change the markings, I wipe it off with alcohol and re-apply. I can do the same with a broad tip Sharpie
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I too use ammocanmagnets.com
    They allow for flexibility in storage. Just slap the magnetic label to a different can as inventory changes

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    I'm using stick on business card holders to label ammo boxes. Easy to change as needed.

I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them-p1010014.jpg

I prefer the .50 cans they stack well and are not too heavy. I have (2) 20mm cans that wind up being waaaay too heavy for my old back! I just use silver Sharpie marker to label very low tech but is cheap and works well. We used to throw 20 mm can and chaff/flare cans (slightly bigger) out in the ocean on our over water gun ranges for aerial target practice w/ the Mini-gun and the .50 Browning. We sank a lot of cans that are probably good fishing reefs now!
    rjinga likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

flh
    I have purchased a couple 50 cal ammo cans here>>>https://www.harborfreight.com/50-cal...can-63181.html
    The new can is slightly taller, and appear of good quality, time will tell...

@Bozz10mm thankyou for the link to the magnets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them-img_0496.jpg  

5lima30ret and Bozz10mm like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

I use metal cans as well but I lable them 9ga core wire, fuel fit 39, 45degree fit, 56 lube,
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I use metal cans as well but I lable them 9ga core wire, fuel fit 39, 45degree fit, 56 lube,
    Don't forget 50w!
    Fizban likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I use harbor freight plastic ammo cans since they are so much cheaper. Either way, the am I cans stack nicely and are easy to carry if you need to take them somewhere.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Don't forget 50w!
    A 50w will hold 7700 rounds of 22lr. 'Bout hurt myself after it was loaded.

I'm also using 40mm cans. They will hold 30 30rd mags and the balance of a 1k case or over 2k of 9mm.
    I will only order them when I can get them on sale with no freight.
    Okeechobee, 5lima30ret and mkh like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Yeah, ammo cans can be quite expensive, especially when buying online - probably due to the weight. Costco sometimes has a two-pack (on .30 and one .50) for $20. Another, thrifty option is Army surplus stores.

I use the .50 cal cans for ammo that I use a lot of (9mm, 5.56mm, .45, .22LR, etc.) and use the .30 cal cans for ammo that is only for one weapon that I only shoot infrequently, such as my WWII rifles. I also use a very large 20mm ammo can for shotgun ammo. Also, with a dremmel and an eye bolt you can easily make the cans lockable.

As for labels, in addition to the commercial vendors that have pre-printed magnetic labels, you can also purchase 8-1/2 x 11 printable magnetic sheets (10 sheets for $7) and print your own.

I use my plastic ammo cans to store magazines.

Getting Organized

I picked up an $18.00 shelving unit at my local Walmart this afternoon. It has adjustable shelves (250 lbs rating per shelf; 750 lbs total) and adjustable feet (if your floor isn't level).

Each shelf can hold: three .50 cal cans and one .30 cal can; or, two .50 cal cans and two .30 cal cans; or, one .50 cal can and four .30 cal cans; or, six .30 cal cans. (The angle of the photo makes the legs looked bowed out.)
    Bozz10mm likes this.
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links