Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't like the Luth-AR MBA-3 stock!

This is a discussion on Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't like the Luth-AR MBA-3 stock! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I ordered the Luth AR MBA-3 stock, I did so thinking it was a fully adjustable stock more for a precision type AR. The ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sticks

Thread: Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't like the Luth-AR MBA-3 stock!

Lead Moderator

When I ordered the Luth AR MBA-3 stock, I did so thinking it was a fully adjustable stock more for a precision type AR. The stock on my RPR is so versatile, I was moved to try to get the same versatility with an after market AR stock and the Luth seemed like the way to go.

When the MBA-3 stock came in, I realized I had failed to specify if it would be for a commercial or milspec buffer tube (receiver extension for those perfectionists among us). I was relieved to find it fit either. As I have seen from other brands, I expected this "one size fits all" would use adapters of some sort to "take up the slack" - it does not use adapters. Sooo....

I was at the range yesterday afternoon and happened to see this. Notice the rear of the stock - it is not plumb, i.e. it is not straight up and down, but canted, and it's canted in the wrong direction. If it were canted the other way, I might like that:

Let me show you why that is. You remember me saying it does not use adapters (shimming, etc.) to fit commercial and milspec stocks? Well that's not quite right, the "adapter" is a set screw and you can see it in the pic here:

That set screw tightens against the vertical side of the rail on the bottom of the buffer tube. The rail that has the holes in the bottom to adjust the stock in and out - that "rail". Soooo....

When you tighten the screw, it does lock the stock securely so looseness and rattle are eliminated. Unfortunately, tightening the screw also "torques" the stock and gives it that cant you see in the first pic. GRRRR!!!

But let's go on. I needed to adjust the stock forward, easy enough, so I did only to discover the charging handle hits the cheek riser. Well that can happen on any stock, as it did on my RPR stock and the solution is, simply more the cheek riser rearward a bit, which is exactly what I easily did on my RPR stock. However, try as I may, I could not see a way to move the cheek riser independently of the stock itself. I didn't have the instruction book with me so I took the thing apart! If there's a way to adjust the cheek riser forward and rearward independent of the stock, I couldn't see it .

At first glance, it looks like you could, but looking closer, as in all apart, you can't - well not that I could see, and I'm pretty good at "seeing".

So, what don't I like? I don't like that it is presumably a one size fits all with no adapters to adjust for buffer tube size. I do not like that the "adapter" is a set screw that tends to cant the stock. I don't like that the force of recoil is partially on a set screw digging into my buffer tube!

I don't like that I can't adjust the cheek riser forward or rearward independent of moving the stock itself.

I have to say the Ruger PR stock, is a far better precision stock than the Luth - if I could buy a RPR stock, I'd be all over it!
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Senior Moderator
    I have one on my "DM style" build, with a 18" WOA SPR upper, and I do like it.

However, what I did differently is went with the one that goes on a fixed buttstock style buffer tube (MBA-2 I think). Granted, I cut my teeth on M-16A2s & A4's, so I am generally content with a fixed stock. The fixed stock has adequate LOP adjustments for me to make any changes needed.

I've seen a fair number of the MBA-2s on 3-gun rifles, not sure if I have seen any of the MBA-3s.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45
    I have one on my "DM style" build, with a 18" WOA SPR upper, and I do like it.

However, what I did differently is went with the one that goes on a fixed buttstock style buffer tube (MBA-2 I think). Granted, I cut my teeth on M-16A2s & A4's, so I am generally content with a fixed stock. The fixed stock has adequate LOP adjustments for me to make any changes needed.

I've seen a fair number of the MBA-2s on 3-gun rifles, not sure if I have seen any of the MBA-3s.
    Thanks to your post, I realized I should have specified the stock I had was the MBA-3, so I edited both the thread title and OP to reflect that this is the MBA-3 I was addressing and not the entire Luth line.

Yeah, the MBA-2,

is a different critter. I wanted/needed a cheek riser and adjustable LOP and the MBA-3 looked like a winner, in fact, other than the Magpul PRS which is very heavy, costs about 2-1/2 times as much, and requires a A1 or A2 tube, the MBA-3 seemed to be about the only game in town.
    in Gun Free Zones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    I got the models wrong, mine is the MBA-1, which has the adjustable cheek riser and LOP adjustment on an A1 or A2 tube. It is about half the weight and half the cost of a PRS.

The cheek riser position can be adjusted laterally, but it isn't a something that can be done quickly on the fly. The cheek risers assemblies are designed so that they can be flipped side to side, for left or right handed shooters (so that big knob doesn't dig into the cheek). There are two hex screws that hold the assembly to the stock, one clearly visible in your picture above. With both removed, you can switch sides, or mounting hole position, of the assembly. It looks like the number of mounting holes you can use is limited by the position of your buttstock LOP adjustment. You can probably only go 1-2 holes forward or backward.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    I got the models wrong, mine is the MBA-1, which has the adjustable cheek riser and LOP adjustment on an A1 or A2 tube. It is about half the weight and half the cost of a PRS.
    Yep! The PRS is crazy expensive and heavy.

...The cheek riser position can be adjusted laterally, but it isn't a something that can be done quickly on the fly. The cheek risers assemblies are designed so that they can be flipped side to side, for left or right handed shooters (so that big knob doesn't dig into the cheek). There are two hex screws that hold the assembly to the stock, one clearly visible in your picture above. With both removed, you can switch sides, or mounting hole position, of the assembly. It looks like the number of mounting holes you can use is limited by the position of your buttstock LOP adjustment. You can probably only go 1-2 holes forward or backward.
    On the MBA-3 the "holes" are fake . When I disassembled it, there was only one place to put the forward rearward locating post - well, unless you can knock out the bottoms of the other holes.

I watched the Luth features video for the MBA-3 and they illustrated the up and down adjustment but made no mention of moving it forward or rearward. I'll take another look at the stock this afternoon.

Although, even if the cheek riser can be moved forward/rearward, it still has the cant problem(s).
    in Gun Free Zones.

There is all manner of adjustment in the MBA. I happen to like it.

I have not locked mine in so it's academic. I move the stock back to the second hole so the charging handle clears the riser, then adjust the rear to get a comfortable cheek weld, and preload the crap out of the bipod and stock so the looseness get's taken up by the pressure. Even my 6.5 Grendel with the PRS stock, when shouldered, there is a natural cant to the right that I have to correct. I am about to cut off the alignment tabs so I can rotate the stock on the buffer tube...which got me to thinking, you can open up the notch in your buffer tube for the retaining pin to counter the cant of the stock when locked down.

You can also adjust the pad up and down, left and right. Might even get some minor rotation out of it.

I do agree, they should not have made the tube for a commercial buffer tube diameter. Who uses those anyways?
    Tangle likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    There is all manner of adjustment in the MBA.
    The only independent adjustments are LOP and cheek rest height that I can see. I suppose the cheek riser can be installed for left or right shooters.

What isn't independently adjustable is front/rear cheek rest adjustment. Like you, I have to move the entire stock to move the cheek rest forward or rearward. When I do that sometimes (certain gun/scope combinations) I don't like where I have to locate my scope to accommodate the stock/shoulder position. I guess I got use to the RPR stock that has totally independent cheek rest adjustment.

And unlike the MBA-3, the RPR stock fits the buffer tube correctly.

I have shimmed stocks before to take out slack and I'm looking at the possibility of shimming the MBA-3. It's not the looseness that bothers me, it's the cant. I guess I could try your approach of not locking it down but when I have a monopod mounted on the stock it would cant badly one way or the other. Hopefully there's a shim solution.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Go to the 3 minute mark

Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sponsored Links