Range Report: SKS Rifle at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds

This is a discussion on Range Report: SKS Rifle at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I made a trip to my gun club today. I donít know if thereís an official term for the shooting stance, but I sat at ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By rjinga
  • 1 Post By rjinga

Thread: Range Report: SKS Rifle at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds

I made a trip to my gun club today. I donít know if thereís an official term for the shooting stance, but I sat at the bench, resting both elbows on it as I fired at the paper targets. I was shooting Golden Tiger ammunition. Iron sights; no scope or optic. I tried to aim for the center of the targets.

Rear sight on 100 meter position at 100 yds:

Rear sight on 200 meter position at 200 yds:

Rear sight on 300 meter position at 300 yds:

I obviously need to aim a little lower at this distance. The arrow is pointing toward the bullet hole just above the head that I didnít get in the photo.

Hereís the link to the video of me shooting at the steel silhouette at 400 yds, using the 400 meter rear sight position. I held on the bottom of the silhouette:
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I would like to stretch the legs on my SKS.
    Longest range around me is 100 yards.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You donít look like you do in your avatar.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

rj,

Looks like you could raise the front sight some, the group at 100 is centered 3-4" high. Past 200, I prefer a 6 O clock hold, finding center repeatedly after 200 is quite difficult. Very nice hits at 400 on the steel.

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    You donít look like you do in your avatar.
    No, but he is "The Dude". Nice shootin'!
    ďOf all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Nice! I was playing with my Yugoslavian sks some this weekend. I was only shooting a 10'' plate at 100. Much further that plate becomes awful small without optics.
    Fun guns to play with for sure.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Nice! I was playing with my Yugoslavian sks some this weekend. I was only shooting a 10'' plate at 100. Much further that plate becomes awful small without optics.
    Fun guns to play with for sure.
    They are fun guns. And, a 10" plate at 100 yds is pretty small too.
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    rj,

Looks like you could raise the front sight some, the group at 100 is centered 3-4" high.
    Do you think so (raise the sight)? I was pretty happy with the placement, from a "take the bad guy out of the fight" perspective at 100 yds.

Past 200, I prefer a 6 O clock hold, finding center repeatedly after 200 is quite difficult.
    I was using a 6:00 hold; I used it at all four distances. Blaming most of the horizontal, and some of the vertical, spread on the rifle moving in my hands, I was still happy with the shot placement at 200 yds (especially the five shots right in the heart area).

Very nice hits at 400 on the steel.
    Thank you. I've seen a few of your videos, and coming from you that is high praise.
    AzQkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rjinga View Post
    Do you think so (raise the sight)? I was pretty happy with the placement, from a "take the bad guy out of the fight" perspective at 100 yds.

I was using a 6:00 hold; I used it at all four distances. Blaming most of the horizontal, and some of the vertical, spread on the rifle moving in my hands, I was still happy with the shot placement at 200 yds (especially the five shots right in the heart area).

Thank you. I've seen a few of your videos, and coming from you that is high praise.

What kind of groups do you shoot with other rifles with iron sights (AR 15, M1A...)?
    Psalm 144:1

Sponsored Links