My budget HD shotgun build is complete... Check it out

This is a discussion on My budget HD shotgun build is complete... Check it out within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I wanted to do a budget HD shotgun build. You csn spend a lot of money on a shotgun or you can spend a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: My budget HD shotgun build is complete... Check it out

VIP Member

So I wanted to do a budget HD shotgun build. You csn spend a lot of money on a shotgun or you can spend a little. I went the little route. Taking the perspective of a new gun owner with a small budget, I set out to put together a shotgun equipped for home defense, with a max spend of $375 dollars.

The first step was get a gun. I found this used Steven's / savage 320 tactical on the rack for $225 + tax. So for 250 bucks I had my gun. It is not a high end gun, but fit and finish is in line with my mossberg 500. The stock is hollow, the recoil pad is hard, and it lacks..... Style. But it had everything I was looking for at a price, albeit a bit on the high side for a used gun, that I was looking for. The action is not amazing, but smoother than I expected. Loading rounds needs to be done with a little force, but all in all it seems like a lot of fun for the money. The gun itself is equipped with ghost ring sights, including a fiber optic front housed in a large eared housing. The fore end is generous, with plenty of gripping area, but that powers it own challenges, which I will cover later. Tipping the scales at a little under 7 lbs unloaded with no accessories, it isn't light but it is not heavy as far as shotguns go. The 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel is a right handy length for house work. With the fully adjustable ghost ring sights, the gun is capable of accurately shooting both buckshot and slugs. Throw in the heat shield, and it was the perfect candidate.

The next task was figuring what I needed to run it best for me. The two things I came up with were a light, because a shotgun takes two hands to run, and a means of carrying a full reload.

The light was no place to skimp. A 12ga, even running 2 3/4 loads, packs heavy recoil and would surely disable a poorly made light in short order. Having always been a fan of streamlight, I started looking. I could have went the route of a light such as a tlr 1, but the cost pushed me over my goal. I kept looking and decides on a standard, small, high powered flashlight mounted by means of a magazine tube clamp. I ended up deciding on the streamlight poly tac, which cost a whopping 42 dollars. At 275 lumens at high power, it is more than bright enough for any need I would have, on or off the gun, and it utilizes the streamlight ten tap programmable system. Push for high power, tap twice for strobe, tap three times for low power. Add in a polycarbonate body, waterproofing, and light weight, and it fit the budget perfectly.

The mount would be crucial. I looked at the Ellzetta mounts, and they are nice, but at 50 bucks, again it was pushing the budget. I searched around and happened across an interesting mount from Nebo.... The same company that sells those lights you get at Walmart. It is a locking pressure type clamp, similar to what holds a bike seat post on a bicycle. Made of aluminum with rubber grips, it seemed like worth a try at 13.99. If it doesn't work I'm not out much money. If it does... Awesome. After mounting the light, there is a little play from the rubber grips, but it holds tightly and seems very secure, so no complaints. Mounted, the poly tac has a very bright center with excellent peripheral lighting. Perfect for identifying a threat from the low ready or the high ready. It is actually bright enough that it dimly illuminates the fiber optic in the front sight, but even on low power it provides a perfect silhouette and the sights are clear as day.

The only thing left was carrying a full reload, and this is where the long fore end came into play. Typically you see side saddle mounts, whether bolt on or velcro, holding reloads on the left side of the receiver. Truly a perfect place..... Except the long fore end nearly covers left of the receiver when the action is opened, making it impossible to mount reloads side saddle... You would never get the action open. I ended up opting for the velcro mount carrier, which is literally a nylon covered plastic plate with loop carries, that velcro to a large strip of velcro. The benefit of this is it is very cheap, having paid 12 bucks on Amazon for a decent one, and in a situation that required multiple reloads, one can peel off the card and replace it with a card with fresh rounds with no need to reload the loops. In theory, one could easily carry a number of cards on a plate carrier with no issues. That is a bit excessive for my needs, but it is a thing. With my reload holder in hand, and being right handed, I opted to place it on the right side of the stock... It has worked for cops for decades, it can work for me to. With a proper reload technique it should be no issue.

Those were the only things I felt I needed. I did not opt for a sling. In my house, I can lay the gun just about anywhere, and it seemed like an unnecessary step in responding to a threat.

That was my whole build. Pretty easy really. A little thinking, some realistic goals, and some internet shopping set me up with what I feel is a perfectly viable, affordable setup that can meet any threat or need without breaking the bank.for a grand total of about 330 dollars, if it runs reliably I think anyone would be hard pressed to beat it.

The only undetermined factor is the reliability of the gun. Some range time is on order, but until that happens it lives in the gun safe. So tell me what you think... Did i miss anything? Could something be done better?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Front sight attachment? Did that yourself? What method?
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

sgb
    needs a +1 magazine extension.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Very nice!! Will get the job done for sure.

Nice set up. We play "cards against humanity" at my house too.
    Taurahe and BigJon10125 like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Front sight attachment? Did that yourself? What method?
    Nope. It's factory.

Pete63 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Nice looking build. Let us know how it shoots.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Looks good to me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    needs a +1 magazine extension.
    That is coming.

~Daniel Webster

Looks good to me. You added only what is actually needed and resisted the urge to "trick" it out. Shows great maturity. A defensive shotgun needs a light and some extra rounds. Good sights help, but are not essential. My only concern centers on the light mount, so I'll await your range report. You don't want anything falling off under recoil.

Good job.

Looks like that will get the job done, Taurahe. Done, and a good price!

VIP Member
    the mount is a tension lock mount. if it came loose i would be very surprised
    ~Daniel Webster

Pretty slick!

Looks good. Definitely more a tool than a toy. Should serve you well!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Looks good...

The only thing I'd take a hard look at is the ability to activate the light, IE intermittent while pumping the gun. I have a similar set-up, but for my Benelli semi, so the forearm remains in a fixed position relative to the light switch. It appears that you can strobe easily, but if you're in intermittent mode, will go dark when shucking, or you'll have to leave in constant "on".

Or am I missing something??
    homo homini lupus est

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links