2PT Sling Shoulder Transitions

This is a discussion on 2PT Sling Shoulder Transitions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody have a good method of performing shoulder transitions while slung up with a 2PT? I've taken 4 carbine classes to date and learned more ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 2PT Sling Shoulder Transitions

Anybody have a good method of performing shoulder transitions while slung up with a 2PT?

I've taken 4 carbine classes to date and learned more than any of them on the difficulty of this when I ran my PCC in our local IDPA match a few months ago. It seems the stage designers can either by design or accident set up stages that force a shoulder transition to engage some of the TGTs without violating cover and fault lines. Needless to say I've been working on this.

The 1st week in MAR a couple of us from the office are taking a 3 day carbine class. In prep, we plan on shooting PCCs in our locak IDPA match, complete with battle belts, sans concealment, scores be damned. So back to transitions.

What I've come to is:

BFG Vickers sling, extended far enough out to allow transition when lossened up with the quick adjust.
    Butt-stock QD mount on the "off side"
    Carbine stock, collapsed 1 position (not fully extended)

The above lets me transition shoulders rapidly without touching the sling.

Has anybody got a different method, other than going to a single point sling????

Thanks,

Chuck
    matthew03 likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

I've usually found that I had to loosen the sling to transition to my "weak" side (left shoulder). I loosen the sling with my left hand, while holding onto the grip with my right. Drop my left arm out of the sling so that the sling is only around my neck. Switch the grip to my left hand and grab the fore end with my right hand after putting my right arm through the sling. Not graceful by any stretch of the imagination but it works and is reasonably quick.

(had to edit this for clarity. Hope it makes sense...)
    matthew03 and Chuck R. like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Anybody have a good method of performing shoulder transitions while slung up with a 2PT?

I've taken 4 carbine classes to date and learned more than any of them on the difficulty of this when I ran my PCC in our local IDPA match a few months ago. It seems the stage designers can either by design or accident set up stages that force a shoulder transition to engage some of the TGTs without violating cover and fault lines. Needless to say I've been working on this.

The 1st week in MAR a couple of us from the office are taking a 3 day carbine class. In prep, we plan on shooting PCCs in our locak IDPA match, complete with battle belts, sans concealment, scores be damned. So back to transitions.

What I've come to is:

BFG Vickers sling, extended far enough out to allow transition when lossened up with the quick adjust.
    Butt-stock QD mount on the "off side"
    Carbine stock, collapsed 1 position (not fully extended)

The above lets me transition shoulders rapidly without touching the sling.

Has anybody got a different method, other than going to a single point sling????

Thanks,

Chuck
    That is exactly how I do it, but my stock in only three clicks out, my nose on the charging handle.

Edited to add, I have the sling around my neck only when clearing.
    Chuck R. and G26Raven like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I've usually found that I had to loosen the sling to transition to my "weak" side (left shoulder). I loosen the sling with my left hand, while holding onto the grip with my right. Drop my left arm out of the sling so that the sling is only around my neck. Switch the grip to my left hand and grab the fore end with my right hand after putting my right arm through the sling. Not graceful by any stretch of the imagination but it works and is reasonably quick.

(had to edit this for clarity. Hope it makes sense...)
    "Neck Loop" learned it a while back in a Vickers class.

I've done it, but I was looking for a way to maintain the sling position. It still might be the simplest technique.
    matthew03 likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

I've done it, but I was looking for a way to maintain the sling position. It still might be the simplest technique.
    It's entirely possible there's a better way, but if so, I don't know what it is.
    matthew03 likes this.
    Mike Tyson

The only time I run the sling over my shoulder is if I am going to sling the gun on my back, everything else is just the "Neck Loop".
    G26Raven and Chuck R. like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I use a sling for carrying a rifle or for creating a "hasty sling" to offer more stability for a long range offhand shot. I think too many tacticool courses try to incorporate sling work as a way to add filler content and fleece people out of more money.

That being said, transitions from right to left are simple and straightforward without the use of a sling. I was taught to do that in the Army decades ago for shooting around cover without exposing to much of my poor body.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

It seems the stage designers can either by design or accident set up stages that force a shoulder transition to engage some of the TGTs without violating cover and fault lines.
    It was by accident at first.

Now, it'll be by design...

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    It was by accident at first.

Now, it'll be by design...
    Kinda what I figured........

Just another reason to practice more.
    homo homini lupus est

Hang it around your neck like others have said. Rather than having your sling attach to the buttstock, attach it to the rear of the receiver.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I use a sling for carrying a rifle or for creating a "hasty sling" to offer more stability for a long range offhand shot. I think too many tacticool courses try to incorporate sling work as a way to add filler content and fleece people out of more money.
    I guess I am confused. I was taught the use of a sling as a method of carrying the rifle. If you carry it for use on your strong side, wouldn't you need or want to be able to transition it to your weak side in the event your strong side was injured? Transitioning never impressed me as a useless exercise, any more than learning to shoot a pistol or rack the slide, weak hand only.
    Havok likes this.
    Mike Tyson

I guess I am confused. I was taught the use of a sling as a method of carrying the rifle. If you carry it for use on your strong side, wouldn't you need or want to be able to transition it to your weak side in the event your strong side was injured? Transitioning never impressed me as a useless exercise, any more than learning to shoot a pistol or rack the slide, weak hand only.
    Or even just shooting around a barricade without exposing your whole body.
    G26Raven and Chuck R. like this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

You must have totally misunderstood what I typed.

I have a few years worth of humping a rifle in the Army not to mention a lifetime of hunting. I have carried on both shoulders with a sling and shoot from either should depending on the circumstances. How much training do you really need to sling, unsling and change shoulders?
    If you want to transition a rile to your weak side due to injury you better have somewhere to rest it so you can shoot.

2PT Sling Shoulder Transitions-us-army-enlisted-man-field-uniform-w.-rifle-slung-over-his-shoulder.jpg2PT Sling Shoulder Transitions-slings-2.jpg

Maybe I am just old school, but I use a sling to carry a rifle or as a hasty sling.
    flh and bmcgilvray like this.

You must have totally misunderstood what I typed.

I have a few years worth of humping a rifle in the Army not to mention a lifetime of hunting. I have carried on both shoulders with a sling and shoot from either should depending on the circumstances. How much training do you really need to sling, unsling and change shoulders?
    If you want to transition a rile to your weak side due to injury you better have somewhere to rest it so you can shoot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US Army enlisted man in field uniform w. rifle slung over his shoulder.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	245737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slings-2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	245745

Maybe I am just old school, but I use a sling to carry a rifle or as a hasty sling.
    You’ve never seen anyone with an AR/M4 slung before? It should be able to basically hang in front of you without touching it, and you should be able to grab it and fire it without having to remove the sling. Carrying a rifle slung like in the picture is ok for hunting, but from an offensive/defensive use its not very effective

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links