Dirty ammo or AR problem? - Page 3

Dirty ammo or AR problem?

This is a discussion on Dirty ammo or AR problem? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; @ NECCdude I would imagine without having the gun in front of me that whatever form of lubricant was on the fire control group had ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Dirty ammo or AR problem?

@NECCdude I would imagine without having the gun in front of me that whatever form of lubricant was on the fire control group had congealed and turned sticky. I have seen this before with a lubricant which many love we will call it toad grease for sake of creating a fight. The lube congealing acted in slowing down the hammer enough to get poor ignition and hang fires. Many places will no longer allow its use do to issues such as this one notably I am told is Quantico. Not sure what lubrication was on the fire control group however a few drops at pivot points will help and is all that's needed as others have said lubrication is a requirement with this platform. The sticky shipping stuff also causes problems it's a protectant for storage not a lube. I as said use grease on the bolt and use it when am assembling fire control groups reapplying to the hammer trigger and disconnect can be accomplished with a Qtip.

Before spending any money best to figure it out. That weapon should fire just fine as it is. You should not be running out buying parts for it to make it work. Clean it inspect it Oil it good take it out and shoot it.
    airslot and johndp1911 like this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    @NECCdude I would imagine without having the gun in front of me that whatever form of lubricant was on the fire control group had congealed and turned sticky. I have seen this before with a lubricant which many love we will call it toad grease for sake of creating a fight. The lube congealing acted in slowing down the hammer enough to get poor ignition and hang fires. Many places will no longer allow its use do to issues such as this one notably I am told is Quantico. Not sure what lubrication was on the fire control group however a few drops at pivot points will help and is all that's needed as others have said lubrication is a requirement with this platform. The sticky shipping stuff also causes problems it's a protectant for storage not a lube. I as said use grease on the bolt and use it when am assembling fire control groups reapplying to the hammer trigger and disconnect can be accomplished with a Qtip.
    One video says don't put any lubricant in the fire control group (i.e. hammer) because it's not needed and will only collect carbon fouling. I don't know what lube you're referring to but it seems that a person goes with what works for them. When I run out of FireClean I'm going to try something else. It may or may not have been my problem.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    By correct procedure you need to see where itís ejecting now. Where the brass ejects determines if itís correctly gassed over gassed or under gassed.
    Based on that chart, it appears that I'm OK because from what I've seen of the shells ejection, it falls within the purple area. But, I'll have some watch next time I go to the range just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    One video says don't put any lubricant in the fire control group (i.e. hammer) because it's not needed and will only collect carbon fouling. I don't know what lube you're referring to but it seems that a person goes with what works for them. When I run out of FireClean I'm going to try something else. It may or may not have been my problem.
    He's referring to Froglube, and yes, people who don't follow the simple application directions can have problems. Froglube is not a case of "the bigger the glob, the better the job." It works fine on the firearms I use it on.
    sgb likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    He's referring to Froglube, and yes, people who don't follow the simple application directions can have problems. Froglube is not a case of "the bigger the glob, the better the job." It works fine on the firearms I use it on.
    I concur, I've had good results with FrogLube.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

@OldVet I never had a problem with it myself though as you mentioned it doesn't seem to work well if over applied which certainly had been done with the case I saw. I never used the CLP personally but used the grease.

Interesting that this guy says frequent cleaning isn't necessary - well, that's my understanding. But, I've been under the impression all these years that the AR15/M16 needed a lot of cleaning. But, this guy says that frequent lube is the most important. Anyway, it was a lot of info and I'll probably have to refer to this if I need to replace things like extractor springs or gas rings.
    Maybe a few decades ago. These days the idea that DI guns need to be kept clean all the time is more of a myth kept alive by AK guys who dont know any better.
    The BCG had never been cleaned. So, come over and slap some sense into me. I'm new to cleaning rifles. Even when I fired the M16 in the AF I didn't clean it. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's because I did less than 30 rounds in my entire AF "career" (6 years)? I wasn't assigned to security forces or any combat units. Being in the AF Comm Service outside of combat zones, our security was done by the MP's (aka SF's).
    And all this time I thought NECC meant you were a Navy vet.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    And all this time I thought NECC meant you were a Navy vet.
    NECCdude may not be the best nick but it'll do for now. NECC stands for NEbraska Conceal Carry
    Havok and airslot like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links