How do you keep your home defense shotgun? - Page 2

How do you keep your home defense shotgun?

This is a discussion on How do you keep your home defense shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Illusive Man Thank you for that. I just read a Lucky Gunner article on keeping a shotgun cruiser ready. I just took ...

View Poll Results: How do you keep your home defense shotgun?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Condition 0 loaded, one in chamber safety off

5 7.04%
  • Condition 1 loaded one in chamber safety on

22 30.99%
  • Condition 3 loaded no round in chamber

37 52.11%
  • My shotgun is in good condition

7 9.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: How do you keep your home defense shotgun?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Thank you for that. I just read a Lucky Gunner article on keeping a shotgun cruiser ready. I just took the round out of the chamber. The only thing I don't really understand from the article is keeping the tube downloaded by one round (but I'll do as the article suggested).
    Debate is about spring compression issues and long-term storage and reliability. One less in the tube means greater likelihood that it will work after long-term storage. Although I haven't seen any real data to support that position. Unlike the drop safe issue - shotguns are NOT drop safe and even a fall in the closet by being knocked over has been known to set off a Condition 1 shotgun.
    graydude and OD* like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

flh
    Loaded with 00-buck one in the chamber safty on , leaning in a convenient corner...

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Police sometimes download the mag tube by one shell in case they need to use a slug. You load the slug in the tube and pump it.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    Thank you all of that information. My HD shotgun is now cruiser ready.
    10thmtn, graydude, OD* and 2 others like this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

10thmtn, Nmuskier and Vexmaw like this.

Yup- Condition 3 with 000 buck.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

I keep all of my doubles loaded safety on and my pumps with empty chambers. Though my doubles are in odd places my bedroom guns are pumps for uniformity. Federal 00 Flite Control for all the 12s and 4 buck in my 10.
    Secret Spuk and OD* like this.

Remington 870, empty chamber, loaded with alternating rounds of 000 buck and Foster slugs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back when I kept a shotgun for HD (Have since gone to AR):

Benelli M1S90, Condition 1, 8rds #1 Buck; 1 round chambered, 1 round on the lifter (it's a Benelli thing) and 6rds in the mag, 6rds of Hornady OO TAP on the buttstock. In a V-Line gunvault:

Dropping a round onto the lifter, effectively creates a "Ghost Load" (Benelli thing) and relives the mag tube of 1 rd, but maintains capacity. In matches I use the same technique to come up to division capacity of 8+1 using my 7rd magazine.
    OD*, Pete63 and tcox4freedom like this.
    homo homini lupus est

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    You can also preform the "Ghost Load" with the 870.
    Chuck R. and wizard7mm08 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I dont rely on my 590A1 as a primary defensive gun much (stick with AR usually), but when I do it is fully loaded, round chambered, safety on. Usually loaded with #1 or #4 buck, but Im out. Currently loaded with Winchester Super X 00 buck. Its the Walmart stuff, but Ive shot a bunch of it, and it gives a reasonable pattern and I know how it shoots out of my gun.

The reason I stick with condition 1 is because thats how I keep all my other guns, so it only makes sense. Its leaned up against the wall, and sort of wedged between a desk and a door frame. It is pretty stable. I know they arent drop safe, but I have done testing with my shotgun when it was unloaded, and I was slamming my shotgun on the ground in every different direction to the point where the neighbors probably could hear it in the next house over, and I was afraid of literally breaking the plywood subfloor. It never released the firing pin. I feel pretty safe in condition one. On top of that, I dont want to make a ton of noise racking the shotgun, nor have the possibility of inducing a malfunction if I short stroked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Ok, guys. I'm new to shotguns and I keep mine loaded with one in the chamber. Is this unsafe??
    In my opinion that depends on your circumstance and the kind of shotgun. I like a pump shot gun with a full tube, no round in the chamber, and safety on.

My home defense shotgun is a double barrel. I keep it unloaded and broken open. There is a saddle on the stock with six rounds, two birdshot two 00 and two rifled slugs. I also have two speed strips loaded with four 00 and two rifled slugs each.
    OD* likes this.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Police sometimes download the mag tube by one shell in case they need to use a slug. You load the slug in the tube and pump it.
    I've heard another reason for downloading by 1 shell is to reduce the pressure on the plastic hulls. Supposedly long term storage with a full tube can cause the hulls of the shell to buckle creating a potential jamming situation. Not sure if there's any truth to that or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    I've heard another reason for downloading by 1 shell is to reduce the pressure on the plastic hulls. Supposedly long term storage with a full tube can cause the hulls of the shell to buckle creating a potential jamming situation. Not sure if there's any truth to that or not.
    If you store your shotgun in a vehicle, which gets very hot parked in the sun...maybe.

If your shotgun is chambered for 3” or longer shells, then even when loaded with a full tube of 2.75” shells, there should still be some play in the mag spring. At least in my Mossberg pumps, that is the case.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links